Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

DH is in another service business. People who have purchased equipment from him justly get top priority as he promised service after the sale when selling the equipment. Those that purchased the cheapest price they could negotiate from someone else get service when it can be worked into the schedule. I think that's fair, don't you?

gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

I think it is OK to take care of your best customers first, but you should handle all repair/warranty work in a timely manner. I know when I bought my camper they said the same line to me, they used that as a reason to not negotiate the price with me. I didnt let that ploy work. Everyone at the dealership is great, they treat me well and have done all the warranty work quickly. However, I can say that everytime I go there I always buy something from the parts store as well as having work done on the trailer. I stop there a couple times through out the year as well and buy something from them. They recognize that and I feel that makes you a good customer as well.

slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #13

Selling products and servicing products should both be profitable businesses. So, I see no difference in who is scheduled for service first. JMO.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
It was explained to me once that RV dealerships are not franchises of the brand the way automotive dealerships are. I guess this is an important distinction in what authority the brand has over the dealership.
Thanks for the info. Wish I would have realized this before ordering from a dealer 6 hours away.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
RV dealers are not "franchised" like auto dealers so they are not obligated to work on units they didn't sell. Many even will put you at the back of the line if they do agree to handle the repair.
Thanks for the info. Again, wish I would have realized this before ordering from a dealer 6 hours away.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I now have an appointment at another dealer and we will see how the warranty process goes, but so far so good. I will now be avoiding Manteca Trailer and Motorhome for future purchases.
A tad further north and just before Stockton is French Creek where a huge PanPacific RV Center is located. We purchased our Jayco from their Morgan Hill location and they've been great with our warranty work ~ might be worth a try.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #17

I will check that out, thanks. This is something that the RV industry as a whole needs to work on, if only to have happier customers in the end. They are a couple of decades behind the car dealerships in terms of this, and that is setting the bar pretty low.

TexasRT, Jayco told me that if I couldn't find a dealer reasonably close that they would authorize someone to come to me. Six hours away should qualify, I would think. You might try that route if your local dealers won't treat you well.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
DH is in another service business. People who have purchased equipment from him justly get top priority as he promised service after the sale when selling the equipment. Those that purchased the cheapest price they could negotiate from someone else get service when it can be worked into the schedule. I think that's fair, don't you?
I understand that theory and think that is fair to a certain to a point. But to blatantly put someone off or try to charge for warranty work for a brand they sell, actually is not fair and in my opinion very bad business. I'm in no way saying your DH operates this, I'm just talking in general.

Yes, we ordered our 5'er from a dealer 6 hours away because of a $6500 savings compared to local dealers, and that was after we added all the options offered. Neither of the two Jayco dealers in our area (one being nationwide) would work with us on price.

So if we need warranty work should we get treated like we own some off-brand they've never heard. I'm sure Jayco wouldn't like the fact that a dealer representing their product would be treating people that way. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I will check that out, thanks. This is something that the RV industry as a whole needs to work on, if only to have happier customers in the end. They are a couple of decades behind the car dealerships in terms of this, and that is setting the bar pretty low.

TexasRT, Jayco told me that if I couldn't find a dealer reasonably close that they would authorize someone to come to me. Six hours away should qualify, I would think. You might try that route if your local dealers won't treat you well.
Thanks for the info. We are still waiting to take delivery at the end of the month and hopefully there will not be any major issues IF work is needed. There are actually two dealers in my area but we didn't buy from them, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #20

IMO I think the dealer's initial obligation is to "their" customers. As a customer I would expect them to put me before "non-customers". If I'm a dealer and have 10 TTs needing service when the camping season starts, those who bought from me will get serviced first.

gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote