Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
IMO I think the dealer's initial obligation is to "their" customers. As a customer I would expect them to put me before "non-customers". If I'm a dealer and have 10 TTs needing service when the camping season starts, those who bought from me will get serviced first.
I understand your thought pattern, but they are also a SERVICE center for a brand/manufacturer and all I'm saying is that if they want to have an attitude and play some kind of power trip game just because I bought elsewhere I do not agree with it, and I'm sure that many many others don't either.
There's a big difference in treating your buying customers right and treating others like they don't deserve the same courtesy and service.
They had the exact same opportunity to sell me an RV as the guy that did.

When it's all said and done, if I have to drive 6hrs back to the dealer I bought it from to get proper and timely service then I will. But you can bet everyone I know and everyone on every forum I can sign up on will know to avoid the dealer that forced me to do it. Word of mouth is one of the most power things there is in any business.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #22

Jayco was definitely not happy that one of their dealers was charging for warranty work. I agree that if you service a certain brand you should service all rigs coming in timely. If they want to service the ones bought there first I don't necessarily have a problem with that, as long as they remain timely. I bought a Jayco, a nationwide brand, not a no-name one off, and should be able to expect service anywhere in the Jayco network.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I spoke with Manteca Trailer and Motorhome in Manteca, CA about getting the work done, and was told that they charge an hourly "inspection fee" that is hourly at $140 per hour. They told me that with my list, it would take "about two hours" to look at the unit and submit to Jayco, meaning I would be paying almost $300 to have warranty work done.
Sounds like this dealer was trying to "double dip" on your warranty work. Probably treat anyone they think they can this way. Shame on them.
Good for you calling Jayco.
I've been pleased with my after sale interaction with Jayco.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
Jayco was definitely not happy that one of their dealers was charging for warranty work. I agree that if you service a certain brand you should service all rigs coming in timely. If they want to service the ones bought there first I don't necessarily have a problem with that, as long as they remain timely. I bought a Jayco, a nationwide brand, not a no-name one off, and should be able to expect service anywhere in the Jayco network.
I could not agree more, well said...
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #25

Many posts in this thread mention something to the effect that "Jayco would be upset if they knew how certain dealers are handling warranty work" or "the RV industry needs to address this".

I certainly wish the RV industry worked more like the automotive industry with respect to warranty, but it doesn't and it doesn't appear that any mfg is doing anything about it. This isn't a new problem. This problem developed with low overhead internet dealers many years ago and doesn't appear to be changing.

Like it or not it is something that everyone should be aware of and consider when making purchasing decisions. This should not be the only consideration, but certainly a consideration.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #26

x2 on clubhouse's post!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #27
Site Team

If I showed a dealer quotes from other dealers and asked if they could match or come reasonably close and their response was no and if I bought somewhere else they would not work on it then it would be hard for me to continue the proceedings from there. I do understand them working on their customers first, but not outright refusing others that did not buy there....But that`s just me. Some dealers will not budge much from MSRP, have experienced that one myself.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #28

So, what do you guys (or gals) think about a camping family who has a breakdown 1000 miles or so from their purchasing dealer? Do (or should) they get any kind of consideration at all, or just "too bad, so sad"?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #29

Depends on the dealer. I worked with an excellent service manager up in Washington who would put those emergency repairs first to get people back on their trip. Most would not do that, unfortunately. Clubhouse was right about how the manufacturers/dealers work, and it won't change until there is enough pressure from the buying public to force it. Threads such as this, word of mouth, spreading the word about bad dealers and not buying from them, and calling Jayco when there is an issue will eventually force a look see into it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
So, what do you guys (or gals) think about a camping family who has a breakdown 1000 miles or so from their purchasing dealer? Do (or should) they get any kind of consideration at all, or just "too bad, so sad"?
I think even dealers understand the difference between a local customer buying out of the area compared to an out of the area traveler in a pinch. Besides what you are talking about can't be that common -- a family traveling thousands of miles from home in a warranty covered unit. If that is even 1% of the service requests I would be shocked.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #31

I have to admit it has been very fortunate for us that our local Jayco dealer (Voyager RV, Winfield,BC) had the best deal in western Canada for our 28BHBE. We saved over 20% off MSRP, and the small amount of warranty work needed was taken care of quickly. Tiz very nice that they are just 15 minutes up the road.
We stop by frequently to pick up supplies (TP, cleaners accessories, etc). Always friendly and good service. The discount helps too
Voyager RV Centre | Largest RV Dealer in BCs interior | Kelowna BC - Buy New or Used RVs

We also bought our camper there.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #32

As I stated in another post, this isn't only a RV issue. I worked for 25 years at an automotive dealership and that dealer always put their customers first, as well as discouraged the people who would drive 100 miles to save $50 or $100 because someone showed their quote and the other dealer beat it by a few dollars. They also had a preferred labour rate for customers who purchase from them. Warranty from the manufacturer does not always cover the full costs of warranty work performed so the dealer is often not interested in doing warranty work that they know they will lose money on. I just don't really understand why people don't understand that if they take the big dollar purchase to another dealer and then come back with the nickle and dime work that the dealer wont bow to them and fall down trying to please them!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont Pete View Post
As I stated in another post, this isn't only a RV issue. I worked for 25 years at an automotive dealership and that dealer always put their customers first, as well as discouraged the people who would drive 100 miles to save $50 or $100 because someone showed their quote and the other dealer beat it by a few dollars. They also had a preferred labour rate for customers who purchase from them. Warranty from the manufacturer does not always cover the full costs of warranty work performed so the dealer is often not interested in doing warranty work that they know they will lose money on. I just don't really understand why people don't understand that if they take the big dollar purchase to another dealer and then come back with the nickle and dime work that the dealer wont bow to them and fall down trying to please them!
We aren't talking $50 or $100. Some people like me saved $3500 on my first and close to $6000 on my second purchase.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #34

I did buy local when I was in Ohio, but we are in California for awhile, and now is when the camper needs work. If I was back in Ohio I would take it back to the dealer I bought from but that is simply not an option due to the 2600 mile distance.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #35

I find this all very interesting. I mean, how does a dealer who says he will service his purchasing customers first work? Does your RV sit until he has no other purchasing customers left to perform work on or does he just put you back a little further in line as penance for not buying from him?
I ran into a couple who had an older trailer up in PEI last year who had some problems with their suspension while on vacation. They were several hundred miles from home and just drove into the closest dealer to see if he could take a look at it. They told the dealer that they would pay for him to just look at it and tell them how much of a problem it really was. The dealer asked if they purchased from them (they hadn't), at which time the dealer said, "take it back to your own dealer or wait 3 weeks". Nice guy!
HAPPY EASTER!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
We aren't talking $50 or $100. Some people like me saved $3500 on my first and close to $6000 on my second purchase.
Yes I did see the numbers that you were quoting but i was saying the difference that i have seen people drive 100 miles to save and then show up at the local dealer expecting as good or a lot of times better service than the people who did buy from there. But look at it this way it's a good thing you saved $3500-$6000 at the out of town dealer it will help pay the fuel to run it back out of town for service if the local dealer is too busy with his own customers.

Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I find this all very interesting. I mean, how does a dealer who says he will service his purchasing customers first work? Does your RV sit until he has no other purchasing customers left to perform work on or does he just put you back a little further in line as penance for not buying from him?
I ran into a couple who had an older trailer up in PEI last year who had some problems with their suspension while on vacation. They were several hundred miles from home and just drove into the closest dealer to see if he could take a look at it. They told the dealer that they would pay for him to just look at it and tell them how much of a problem it really was. The dealer asked if they purchased from them (they hadn't), at which time the dealer said, "take it back to your own dealer or wait 3 weeks". Nice guy!
HAPPY EASTER!
In my experience when booking appointments most dealers seldom book 100% of the available service time. This leaves emergency time for taking care of either a last minute appointment by their own customer, a sold unit that needs to be rushed out or for an emergency breakdown (most dealers will not turn away travelers from out of town who are traveling through, I personally have gone back in at night or on the weekend to get someone back on the road who was in a pinch and had broke down). That being said someone who chose to buy out of town for what ever reason will not get any of that set aside time. They will be booked at the end of the list and will be taken care of when ever their appointment comes up.
Not saying that this happens everywhere but nothing pisses of the sales staff in the dealer more than having their customers sitting waiting while a unit that was bought out of town is being serviced! At some places its almost like family and for most people family comes first.
Another thing that I have used is if one of my customers is broke down out of town I will use my contacts at other dealers to try and get a favour out of them to look after my customer as I would.

Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
Site Team

Here is my post from last Summer, somewhat relevant to the thread:

Buying away from home is kind of a crap shoot. I bought mine 430 miles away at RVdirect Albany because I tried two dealers (still around 100 miles away, no local dealers here) one was 4 grand higher, and I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the salesman. He quoted me a price, and said that was it and they "were selling like hotcakes at that price". Keep in mind this is Summer of 09, heart of the financial crisis, and one of the worse RV sales years ever. I`m not stupid. Tried another one, filled in the "request a quote" site on their web page twice on two units. Never heard back from them. Did not want to sell very badly did they?

I have been lucky, in nearly 5 years my unit has not been back to a dealer for any reason. Any issues have been minor in nature and I have taken care of myself. That being said I have always wondered what the course of action would have been if I had encountered a major warranty problem. And some of the larger 2-4 slide units are much more complex then my humble 28BHS. More to go wrong, so more chance of warranty work requirements.

So my conclusions after being active on this forum for 4+ years and seeing what members post as their experiences:

Some that bought from a distance have posted that they had their units serviced under warranty by RV repair/service facilities that do not sell RV`s.
And others were able to get the local Jayco dealer to service it even though they bought elsewhere. Still others as posted were denied service altogether or put on a long waiting list. And of course a great many of us never have a need for warranty work, and are quite handy and willing to do many things ourselves. But some are not mechanically inclined, or physically able to work on their units.

So as I say, its a crap shoot what your experience will be like. Its not like buying a Ford or Chevy. You could call Jayco and see what services are available in your area. I would have preferred to make a "local" deal, even if it was 1500 more, but it was not to be so I made the trip. Next time I will try to buy closer to home again first, but will have a quote from RV direct in hand just like last time. If they are willing to work, meet me in the middle and talk to me with respect, a deal will be made closer to home!
2018 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2l CCSB
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #39

Rv direct albany
Was 15k less than next best dealer price. Only a total of three other jayco dealets in the state of nj.
They treated me great..also my extended warranty allows me to go to any rv dealer or service center after the two year.
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #40

I had another brand last year before we bought a Jayco 19RD . The toilet valve broke and was squirting water all over. We called the manufactor ,we were 200 miles from home.They said take it to Trailer Hitch RV in Nipoma about 3 miles away . TH said if you didn't buy it here no work. We traded that trailer still broken for a Jayco. So far (4 months) no problems.
phil19409 is offline   Reply With Quote