Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Jayco Water Purification or After-Market Filter Outside?

My new2me MH (2010 31FK) is suppose to be equipped with a water purification system (at least the is what the original Jayco specs say). Prior to getting it a week and a half ago, I was getting antsy and started buying things for it. One of which was a filter system to use at the fresh water inlet. With some reading on here and the time I have been exploring the coach, I think I found where it is suppose to be. I found a section of hose under the sink that looks like it was put in to replace the purification system (i.e. filter)...I assume it was removed to winterize.

The question is, what are your guys opinions on the two systems/setups? The Jayco one looks like it probably only filters the sink and hot-water heater, where the outside one will filter prior to water getting into the fresh tank. Of course the Jayco one is nice and hidden. And does any one know if there is any advantage to the purification system, or as far functionality goes it is equivalent to the external filter.

Thanks
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

We filter with a sediment filter and a charcoal filter before going into the trailer. I threw the one that goes under the sink away. If the water is really bad I have an RO system and use it to keep the water tank full.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

I too have a particulate filter, 1 micron, and a charcoal filter external for all water coming into my 5'er. My home base requires changing the sediment filter every 7-8 months. Where I host in the summer in Florida this same filter media needs changing every 2-3 weeks. I sure don't want all of that crud in my fresh water tank.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #4

It makes good sense to install some sort of filter on the outside. I use an inexpensive blue filter to keep out the sediment. I installed a far better water filter under the kitchen sink and used it to filter the cold water directly into the faucet. This year it is getting changed a little bit and the cold water faucet will go back to the way it was and a filtered water faucet is getting installed so we'll have a far higher level of filtration for cooking and drinking.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

I use a sediment filter on the outside and currently am using a charcoal taste filter inside. I am considering adding a separate drinking water spigot and filter at the kitchen sink as I did in my last camper and converting the inside filter to an accumulator tank.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

Filter on the outside, this was the bathroom sink, shower and hot water tank are all covered.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

I also say filter on the outside is the way to go. All water gets filtered and its alot easier putting that filter on the hose than it is to reach up under the sink and into the cabinet to install filter.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Team

I priced that under counter filter and it is way to expensive. I removed it. I was already using a whole house filter which is much less $$$ for the replacement elements.

I am in the process of installing the filter permanently inside the water docking compartment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Here is my filter setup. It is just sitting in the basement right by the water control area. I have been meaning to screw it to the panel, but it just sits right there and has never moved so I just haven't done it - yet. It is sort of an outside filter, but it is inside. The first stage is a 1 micron particulate filter and the second stage is a charcoal filter. It works great and the filter cartridges are not expensive.

The second picture is why I always use a pressure reducer (Watts 263A). This pressure was at a state park in Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0748_22-03-2012.jpg   IMAG0382_20-05-2011.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Team

I picked up a filter holder at CW today. Mine did not come with a bracket. I am going to mount it on the wall and drill a few holes thru the panel to hard pipe it into the water input compartment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I priced that under counter filter and it is way to expensive. I removed it. I was already using a whole house filter which is much less $$$ for the replacement elements.

I am in the process of installing the filter permanently inside the water docking compartment.
I take it that the under counter filter canister that came with your camper was not the standard 10" universal canister? The 2012 Eagle has a standard canister and I get filters at Walmart.

2011 F350 CC SB
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
I take it that the under counter filter canister that came with your camper was not the standard 10" universal canister? The 2012 Eagle has a standard canister and I get filters at Walmart.
That is correct. There is a strip of hose in its place. The filter I bought is one of those universal canister ones (have seen them everywhere). But after reading this thread I think I will be upgrading to a dual-stage filter. Not sure where I will put it. The water compartment is a little tight in the MH...at least that is my newbie opinion.

And earlier you mentioned an accumulator tank (and heard it mentioned in a plumbing thread)...what are they for?

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I was going to contact a Jayco dealer for a replacement for the under the sink one, but it sounds like it is expensive and probably not as good.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
And earlier you mentioned an accumulator tank (and heard it mentioned in a plumbing thread)...what are they for?
An accumulator tank evens out the cycling of the pump. It has no benefit when hooked up to city water, but when using the pump it lengthens each pump cycle while decreasing the number of cycles. Sometimes, like when rinsing dishes at a low water volume the pump seems to hammer on and off. An accumulator tank lessens this.

2011 F350 CC SB
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

Thanks!