Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2022, 08:48 PM   #1

JayCommand / BM Pro issue

Has anyone ever had an issue getting the touch screen to wake up? Just got mine out of storage and can’t get the screen to wake up. The light buttons and arrows at the bottom work, but the touch screen stays black. It has been in storage a few months, but has been charging for several hours now so that shouldn’t be it.

I tried the “fix” where you scroll until it says “OF” on the bottom, and then press EXT. the “1” scrolls across the bottom and the lights turn off, but still no activity on the touch screen. I tried pressing the recessed button with a pin as well - no luck.

Going to kill each circuit breaker to see if that helps when I get home, but I turned off the battery disconnect before I left and that didn’t do anything.

Leaving on a trip to the beach on Friday, so this is pretty urgent.

Thanks for any ideas!
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #2

This video might give you some pointers as it shows exactly what you are experiencing and how to address it. Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Thanks. Saw this one and was trying something other than “take it to the dealer”. I just finished having my unit at the dealer for 2 moths (plus I had to make the appointment in November to drop it off in January) and the parts still haven’t showed up. If those repairs have been in the works for that long, I was hoping there was some magic I could do.

Appreciate the video link though!
Old 03-10-2022, 11:06 AM   #4

So after charging all night (battery was definitely low) I know have something on the screen, but I’m still not completely there. It is just flashing slowly between a black screen and a screen that has “BMPRO powered by Android” every 10 seconds or so. The hard reset through the small hole in the bottom or the OF / Reset sequence still doesn’t work. I’m going to keep letting it charge a bit longer (about 12 hours now) but if there are any other ideas I’m game.

Thanks!
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
Pcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
So after charging all night (battery was definitely low) I know have something on the screen, but I’m still not completely there. It is just flashing slowly between a black screen and a screen that has “BMPRO powered by Android” every 10 seconds or so. The hard reset through the small hole in the bottom or the OF / Reset sequence still doesn’t work. I’m going to keep letting it charge a bit longer (about 12 hours now) but if there are any other ideas I’m game.

Thanks!
We hav the exact issue you have. Can you share what was the resolution?
Thanks!
Pcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post

Thanks!
I have the same "Black screen followed by BMPRO powered by Android" screen issue. It's the first time I've seen this problem. FWIW, I had my 377RLBH sitting for a few weeks without external/shore power. I apparently forgot to turn off the main battery switch, and the battery completely discharged (a voltmeter indicated something like 1.5 volts at the battery terminals). I'm hoping that once the battery charges, the problem will fix itself, or maybe I will need to buy a new battery. I found this problem shortly before dark, so I wasn't able to do any troubleshooting tonight. I'll post again with a progress report tomorrow, but maybe someone with a similar problem and solution can share their info.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

I searched the forums and found this thread for the BMPRO Powered by Android screen that flashes on and off:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/bmpro-96559.html

It mentions that if power has been removed from the Android tablet, possibly the Android tablet battery is dead or maybe even ruined. It also mentions charging the Android tablet from an external USB power source.

My tablet was definitely without power for quite awhile, so that might be a place to start troubleshooting (removing the tablet from the wall and charge it from an external source).
Old 10-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #8

I have the same issue with the BMPro the logo comes up and then nothing, I tried all the solutions mentioned with no resolution. I even removed the cover and unplugged it then tried again...the rig has power to it all the time. I sent a msg to BMPro and was told the tablet was in a "Boot Loop" and has to be replaced, I have a 2020 seismic 3815 toyhauler. Never heard of a boot loop, I was lucky enough to down load the app to my phone and I can control everything from the phone, the bottom row of buttons ie, lights, slides still work on the tablet..all new to me Any advice will be a blessing, thanks
SoldierUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #9

We need someone to do a write-up on how to change the battery in the tablet....pretty sure that is the real problem

If I had that problem I would give it a shot...I've done a few iPhone surgeries

Heck...even try the tablet with the internal battery disconnected may allow it to boot up?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierUp View Post
I have the same issue with the BMPro the logo comes up and then nothing, I tried all the solutions mentioned with no resolution. I even removed the cover and unplugged it then tried again...the rig has power to it all the time. I sent a msg to BMPro and was told the tablet was in a "Boot Loop" and has to be replaced, I have a 2020 seismic 3815 toyhauler. Never heard of a boot loop, I was lucky enough to down load the app to my phone and I can control everything from the phone, the bottom row of buttons ie, lights, slides still work on the tablet..all new to me Any advice will be a blessing, thanks
It's doubtful that it needs replaced. The issue is a dead tablet battery combined with a weak or slow charging system that is providing external power to the tablet. The "boot loop" is caused by the tablet trying to automatically and continuously start up, which uses maximum processor power, which puts a big load on the dead battery, which isn't sufficiently charged to handle the processor load combined with a weak charging circuit that can't "juice" the battery quickly enough to allow the tablet to start.

Jayco/BMPro has modified the Android boot sequence to immediately and automatically try to start the tablet and load the BMPro software after a power failure so the user doesn't need to do anything. In theory, it's a good idea.....until you kill the tablet battery, then it becomes a horrible idea. The auto-reboot software modification essentially disables the on/off button so you can't shut the tablet off to allow it to charge the battery enough to run the tablet during bootup.

How do I know this? Because I took a standard off the shelf $40 tablet, and loaded the BMPro software on to it, and the Google Play version of the software does not modify the boot sequence. My standard tablet still acts like a standard tablet. I can turn it on and off. I can turn the BMPro software on and off. There is no auto-reboot on the Google Play download version.

If you get a really beefy charger that supplies 1.5 amps (1500ma) or more, and keep your tablet plugged in for several hours, maybe even overnight, it will eventually charge the battery enough to overcome the boot loop. If a 1.5 amp charger doesn't do the trick, use a bigger one (2 or 3 amps). The charging circuit in your trailer does not supply enough power to charge the battery in the tablet quickly enough to overcome the instantaneous power draw on bootup when the battery is 100% dead.

The real solution to this problem would be for Jayco to provide a more robust charging circuit to the tablet, which we both know, they won't do.

If you want to avoid the problem in the future, find a generic tablet that fits in the bezel, download BMPro on to it, and install the tablet back on to it's mounting bracket. BTW, the little hole in the bezel, commonly referred to as the "reset button", is nothing more than a hole that allows you to depress the power button on the side of the tablet. It's worthless for this situation since the tablet is already doing continuous resets all by itself.

The buttons underneath the tablet are a completely separate circuit board that communicates directly with the trailer. This circuit board feeds information to the tablet through the USB connector on the tablet (along with power to the tablet). You can remove the tablet and the buttons will still work, since the buttons connect directly to the trailer.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
We need someone to do a write-up on how to change the battery in the tablet....pretty sure that is the real problem

If I had that problem I would give it a shot...I've done a few iPhone surgeries

Heck...even try the tablet with the internal battery disconnected may allow it to boot up?
If you open up the tablet case and disconnect (desolder) the battery, you would probably still need a charging circuit that supplies more power to the tablet than the Jayco circuitry provides. My guess is that the charging circuitry is equivalent to a 500ma slow charger that you would use for small handheld devices. The amount of power required on startup would probably pull the charging voltage down to zero, or near-zero on the Jayco charging circuit. If you are tech-savvy, you could probably root the tablet and modify the boot sequence back to the original Android generic functionality, which would allow you to eliminate the boot-loop, since you would now be able to use the power button as it was originally intended.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:09 AM   #12

Bmpro

Thankyou for all the information, kind of an overload I am new at this and right now I am overwhelmed, would'nt this all be under warranty or is that a rediculous female question. Oh well I will try to process and take a step at a time, thank you so much for all the info I will definatley be back you guys are awesome
Old 10-12-2022, 04:37 AM   #13

I found a 2amp charger on amazon its called NOCO genius2 will this work to charge up the tablet, is this a good place to start. Then I will need help with the charge process how to connect the charger to the tablet..I feel so dumb
Old 10-12-2022, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Thankyou for all the information, kind of an overload I am new at this and right now I am overwhelmed, would'nt this all be under warranty or is that a rediculous female question. Oh well I will try to process and take a step at a time, thank you so much for all the info I will definatley be back you guys are awesome
It's not a ridiculous question. Technically, it should be a warranty issue, but, IMO, RV warranties are worthless, unless you want to be without your RV for much of the year. RV warranties are not like car warranties where you call the dealer, make an appointment, have your car fixed within a day or 2, and all is well. With an RV (in general) and Jayco specifically, you call and make the appointment, drop off your rig, and wait. If you have an extremely responsive dealer, the stars align, and luck is on your side, maybe you show up at the dealer with your rig and leave the same day or within a few days with the problem fixed.

The reality is more like this: You drop your rig off at the dealer. Maybe in a day or 2, or a week or 2, they will pull it into the shop and look at it. They will diagnose the problem, come up with a solution, then contact Jayco for authorization to fix the problem. Jayco will get back to them in a day or 2, or maybe a week or 2, and tell them "no, we don't like your solution, send pictures of the problem (or try "this" instead). The dealer will then either try what Jayco suggested or contact Jayco again to tell them "no, our first solution is THE solution". Then they will wait a day or 2 or a week or 2 for Jayco to authorize repairs.....or not. Oh, and maybe somewhere in that process, parts are not available, so add more time while the dealer waits for Jayco to send parts.

The entire process could easily take weeks or months. In the mean time, your camping season is ticking away while your rig is at the dealership.

Eventually the dealer calls and tells you "it's fixed". You go to pick it up, test it, and discover that it's not fixed or not fixed properly. So now, go back to square one and start the process again.

If you decide to fix a warranty issue yourself to avoid all of that, Jayco will not reimburse you for the parts.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:32 AM   #15

Quote:
I found a 2amp charger on amazon its called NOCO genius2 will this work to charge up the tablet, is this a good place to start. Then I will need help with the charge process how to connect the charger to the tablet..I feel so dumb
The tablet uses a USB connector. I don't know specifically which USB version, but it is one of the mini versions (not USB-C). You need one of those small wall chargers like you get with cell phones. All of the NOCO chargers that I looked at on Amazon were all car battery chargers.

You need something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPo...s%2C132&sr=8-2

To charge the tablet with an external charger, you will need to remove the tablet assembly from the wall. There is a plastic bezel around the tablet. It has 2 hidden clips at the bottom that need to be pushed in to release the assembly from the mounting bracket on the wall. After the assembly is removed, there are several screws that hold the tablet in place on the bezel, Remove those screws and detach the tablet from the bezel to gain access to the USB port.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:33 AM   #16

Bmpro

Well that is out of the question I live in this thing can't take it in...gona see if they will come here, I am paying for an extended warranty fell for the okydoke. I will call and let you all know their response...
Old 10-12-2022, 05:35 AM   #17

Yeah thanks for clearing that up...the prong in the back of the tablet is a four prongrd clip does that make sense
Old 10-12-2022, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Yeah thanks for clearing that up...the prong in the back of the tablet is a four prongrd clip does that make sense
On mine it was 2 prongs, but depending on the year and model of your RV, it could be attached several different ways. Mine was difficult to detach, to the point I thought I was going to break something. Jayco mounted mine so that I couldn't access the bottom of the panel to detach anything. Mine is mounted behind a small door in the hallway. They mounted it near the bottom of the door frame so you can't get to the clips. I had to use brute force. (Not recommended)
Old 10-12-2022, 06:10 AM   #19

Bmpro

I got it off it was a little hard but its off so how do I charge it their is no usb port as far as I can see. Model # RVMC101A
Old 10-12-2022, 06:22 AM   #20

Quote:
I got it off it was a little hard but its off so how do I charge it their is no usb port as far as I can see. Model # RVMC101A
Take a picture of it and post it. It's a regular generic, cheap Chinese Android tablet. It has to have a cable to supply power to it. Android tablets all have USB ports for charging.