Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Jayflight Spewing Water all over the Highway!

I filled up our water tank at home before leaving on our trip. Just minutes into the ride I noticed water spewing out the overflow lines under the trailer.

After a 150 mile trip only 1/3 of my water remained. How can Jayco sell trailers that have water tanks that do not hold water?????? How is this acceptable?

Anybody else have similar issues?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jayflightslx View Post

Anybody else have similar issues?
Just about everyone...

This is talked about regularly here, the "search" function will bring you to the other threads.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #3

Plug your overflow lines, whether with valves or rubber stopples (corks), and your water loss will end. After you use a few gallons of water at camp make sure you remove your plugs. Repeat on your next fill. Problem solved.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Site Team

This is mostly a problem because the tanks are so shallow. We have two under our TT, with two overflow lines. I was just under it today to cinch up the cover straps, and took a very close look at all the lines. On the curb side there's an 1 1/4" equalizing hose (same kind as the tank filler) between the two for filling, and high above that on the same side are two 3/8" braided lines clamped to 90* elbows. It looks like one is an air vent to the second tank, and the other is an overflow. Both overflow lines are routed over the top of the tanks, dropping down on the street side of the trailer.

We installed two 1/4 turn valves to the ends of the overflows. I'll open them for filling, close to travel, and open up again to use the water pump. Many members have re-routed the overflow lines higher up and had no more water loss.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for the tips!

But really...when you manufacture thousands upon thousands of travel trailers and are ok with putting out a faulty product such as the Jayflight that can not retain water in its water tank...there is a problem.

This will be the first and last Jayco I buy!
Old 10-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #6

Plug with 1/4 turn valve

As mentioned before a 1/4 turn valve lets you vent while filling and close when done to minimize water loss. Open again when using water to vent properly.
You may also notice that your owners manual recommends travelling with empty tanks. If you are expecting more from other TT makers - you may be disappointed.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Team

All of the RV manufacturers That utilize the underfloor tanks will have the similar problem, unless they use deeper tanks or route the overflow plumbing differently. I've noticed out tanks will bulge some when they're full. They can't help it because they have so much horizontal surfaces. When the fill pressure stops, the tanks will "relax" and push some water out the tubes.

When I looked at ours today, the overflow connections were as high up the side of the tank as they could possibly go, but still probably 1 1/2" from the top edge. Subtract that from the total depth, and the capacity is lessened some. Then while driving, the water is sloshing around, and getting sucked out. There is no hose inside the tank, so it's not a real siphoning effect, like getting gas from a car. I know the brand of our tanks, and will find the dimensions, just for grins.

Our 1996 Fleetwood TT had the 40 gallon FW tank under the bed, and although it was a bunch deeper, that storage space was diminished considerably. That was 33' TT. With the smaller trailers like we have, interior space is a premium, so they put the tank(s) underneath.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

But really...when you manufacture thousands upon thousands of travel trailers and are ok with putting out a faulty product such as the Jayflight that can not retain water in its water tank...there is a problem.
It's not happening just with the Jayflight. The motor homes have the same tanks, and the same problem, and these rigs cost just a bit more. It's a poor design across all products.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:01 AM   #9

We have 3 over flow lines on our Redhawk 22J and a 43.5 gal FW tank. My problem with putting a plug in each one is they are nearly in the middle of the MH. I really do not relish crawling under the beast all the time to plug and unplug the lines.

I've thought about buying some extension hose, connecting them to the current over flow lines, and terminating them at the side of the MH. Here, I would mount a plug or valve.

Would this idea work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Plug your overflow lines, whether with valves or rubber stopples (corks), and your water loss will end. After you use a few gallons of water at camp make sure you remove your plugs. Repeat on your next fill. Problem solved.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Old 10-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #10

The airflow across the overflow tube that is cut flat may be producing a low pressure causing it to siphon. Try making a scarf cut, facing forward, on the end of the tube so when you travel the air flow will be forced into the tank potentially creating a positive pressure in the tank therefore preventing the siphoning. That's what we do on aircraft. Just a thought.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
We have 3 over flow lines on our Redhawk 22J and a 43.5 gal FW tank. My problem with putting a plug in each one is they are nearly in the middle of the MH. I really do not relish crawling under the beast all the time to plug and unplug the lines.

I've thought about buying some extension hose, connecting them to the current over flow lines, and terminating them at the side of the MH. Here, I would mount a plug or valve.

Would this idea work?
Sure will. You can make them as long as you want, and to a more convenient location.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the tips!

They are all the same.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the tips!

Ummmm...welcome to RV ownership, they are all pretty much the same under the skin. You either learn to adapt and overcome all the issues that can come with owning an RV or you’ll soon be selling it and going on to another hobby
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Ours does it too! For some reason, Jayco in their wisdom decided to put the overflow at the top of the tank, instead of running the over flow hose up to the fill port where it should have been.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Ours does it too! For some reason, Jayco in their wisdom decided to put the overflow at the top of the tank, instead of running the over flow hose up to the fill port where it should have been.

Interestingly, I've read about this issue numerous times, prior to purchasing our Jay Flight, so it's one of the first things I looked at when we brought it home.
Our 2020 212QBW, came with the breather/overflow tube running up and connected to the fill port, like every other trailer we've owned.
Has Jayco finally addressed this issue??
Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Has Jayco finally addressed this issue??
Our 2012 has a breather hose at the fill port also. But with two tanks, they need more breathers to accommodate them both so they fill up evenly.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #17

I just picked up my 2021 Jayflight SLX 264RLS. This is in my owners manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh Water tank Warning.png  
Old 10-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I just picked up my 2021 Jayflight SLX 264RLS. This is in my owners manual.

What a joke! So Jayco expects all customers to be able to empty all tanks where ever they are parked before they move their trailers???

That is an unrealistic expectation and a total joke of a request which we can all assume is something they are listing in writing to negate any liability for issues with their half-assed products.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #19

but weight theres more!

why would you want to carry all that dead weight? it would be cheaper to buy water than drive it 150 miles..+ the water reduces your load capacity a lot
1 gallon = 8.34 lbs...

when I travel I only carry a few gallons in the tank just in case..

Old 10-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #20

Quote:
What a joke! So Jayco expects all customers to be able to empty all tanks where ever they are parked before they move their trailers???

That is an unrealistic expectation and a total joke of a request which we can all assume is something they are listing in writing to negate any liability for issues with their half-assed products.
Couldn’t agree more. I personally don’t boondock but if I did I’d fully expect to be able to travel with a full freshwater tank going and loaded black/grey tanks on the return trip....otherwise why buy a “travel” trailer??
Closed Thread