Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #21

The type of siding is a personal preference thing. I really don't care for the hard/heavy sides. The counters in the Eagle are very nice but I would like to have a few words with the genius that put a sink under the counter top. To me that is a major screw up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
...The counters in the Eagle are very nice but I would like to have a few words with the genius that put a sink [SIZE="4"]under[/SIZE the counter top. To me that is a major screw up.
I would have thought the opposite (but then, what do I know?). Why do you feel that undercounter mount sinks are inferior?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #23

Clutch Undermout sink's are the new "modern" way to do kitchens with corian or other hard counter tops, so they look " pretty" don't cha no
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #24

I agree that most undermount sinks are more attractive than most top mounts but that isn't the reason I would think they are better. No matter how flat the rim of a sink may be, water that gets splashed or sloshed onto the counter top is a pain in the ah...neck to clean up since it can't be easily sluiced back into the sink. Cleaning the rim around a sink is also a pain. I hate the rimmed sink in my mobile home's kitchen for that reason. I replaced the sink and counter in my mobile home's bathroom with a one piece cultured marble sink and counter (which I would think are superior to undermount sinks) and I love it! It's so much easier to keep clean! All I ever have to do is spray a little water on the surface, let it sit for a minute or two, then wipe it off. I've had it for 10 or 15 years and, even though it was a budget model, it still looks brand new. I wish I could say the same for the expensive, brass faucet I have. One of the first minor mods I will do in the tt I plan on buying, once the major mods are done, will be to replace the plastic sink and laminate counter with a cut down, one piece Corian counter and sink. One of the advantages of Corian is it is fairly easy to machine with carbide tipped woodworking tools.

I'm still curious why clutch dislikes undermount sinks so much. Does he know something we do not (which is quite possible) or is it just personal preference?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #25

Still curious.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #26

Unhappy

Aluminum vs composite....if you live in the south or midwest, you must consider hail. We have hosted campgrounds for the last 5 summers, and we joked we could always tell someone from Texas by the size and number of dents all over their aluminum trailer. We had one for 10 or more years and gave up on trying to repair them. I replace the roof on my home about every 8-10 years due to hail damage.
aggie_steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #27

I'm still curious why clutch dislikes undermount sinks so much.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #28

Aluminum framing and the bead insulation is the way to go, on the outside, gel coat shiny exterior.

Wood framed units and the regular pink stuff insulation, once you get a water leak and its noticeable, lots of damage is already done. Also as they get older all the joints weaken from the flex in the trailer. Aluminum much stronger but its been known that some welds crack.

Aluminum sided units will and do leak air.. in the winter time, walls are cold. Also have to be careful when washing with a high pressure spray unit like the ones at the car wash, water will seep in up under the seams.

I know my roof is made the same way my sidewalls are, just thicker, believe 5 inches thick. Walking on the rood, its a very firm surface.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm still curious why clutch dislikes undermount sinks so much.
Apparently sealer must be expencive because I don't think they used any on our sink. When water from the faucet hits the edge of the sink it runs under and drips onto the shelf below. Bish's RV put in some silicone for a sealer but to really fix it right the counter top needs to come up and it needs to be sealed properly. Oh well we have 21 months to get it fixed right. Something like that just shouldn't happen.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Apparently sealer must be expencive because I don't think they used any on our sink. When water from the faucet hits the edge of the sink it runs under and drips onto the shelf below. Bish's RV put in some silicone for a sealer but to really fix it right the counter top needs to come up and it needs to be sealed properly. Oh well we have 21 months to get it fixed right. Something like that just shouldn't happen.
Thanks for the reply. This will be good to know. How is the sink secured to the countertop? Normally, undermount sinks are secured by clips screwed to the countertopping.