Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

jayflight vs eagle?

what is the difference between the jayflight model and eagles models? i know the jayflight is a light model but is it alot cheaper model also? what are some of the other differences?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Was told that Jayflight is their "general public" grade and Eagle is their "higher quality" grade. It's like GM with their Chev and Buick product lines. Chev is geneal and Buick is marketed as their higher quality. Thus, often selling for higher costs. Although, the same "sister products" are made down the same assembly line. Hope this helps...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #3

As you know there is JayFlight Swift, Jay Flight, and Jay Flight G2, and then there is Eagle Super Lite and Eagle. Besides floorplan differences, as you go up the line construction, features and amenities increase with price. Way too many difference to list here. Below are links to the Jay Flight and Eagle standards and options lists that you can print out and compare side by side.

Jay Flight:

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/standards.php?id=245

Eagle:

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/standards.php?id=240
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

Also, within the Jay Flight family there is the Jay Flight and Jay Flight G2. The G2 is more expensive and comes standard with most options (Did I say that right?)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

I have owned campers for 25 years and been in insurance claims for the same amount of time. I will never own a camper with fiberglass sides (Eagles have fiberglass sides I believe). If any moisture gets between the wall and fiberglass you are done; there is no easy way to fix it. I have seen more than a few campers totalled due to a minor leak, usually in the off season. It's a matter of preference I guess, just something to consider.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #6

The part I don't understand is why they use an aluminum frame and then put heavy fiberglass sides on it. The heavy figerglass negates any weight savings.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
I have owned campers for 25 years and been in insurance claims for the same amount of time. I will never own a camper with fiberglass sides (Eagles have fiberglass sides I believe). If any moisture gets between the wall and fiberglass you are done; there is no easy way to fix it. I have seen more than a few campers totalled due to a minor leak, usually in the off season. It's a matter of preference I guess, just something to consider.
Jayco sales people, and Jayco brochures, extol on their vacuum-bonding process for their fiberglass-sided trailers. The sales person we have been working w/ has stated numerous times that he hasn't seen a Jayco w/ the delamination issues other manufacturers have. He has taken us on a tour of some of those used TTs on his lot that do have these issues, and yes, it would/does make me apprehensive about a fiberglass-sided trailer. I would be interested to hear if any Jayco owners have experienced delamination w/ theirs.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

Mine has a spot on the front and on the back towards the bottom.

But it doesn't bother me one bit...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

I prefer aluminum. You booger up an aluminum panel, you can fix it yourself if you get the material and have the right amount of patience and a pneumatic stapler.

Try that with fiberglas or Filon sides.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #10

Rray, my thoughts exactly. We wanted this Eagle and it only comes with the hard sides. I too would prefer an aluminum framing with aluminum siding.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

I'm not really sure that the vacuum bonded fiberglass on Jayco is any better or worse than any other brand. When I was looking for a new trailer about 5 years ago the salesman (not Jayco) told me that the vacuum boned panels have improved and they only have trouble about 30% of the time....I swear that is what the guy said. Not odds I would take! I have found that Jayco quality (BHS31) is as good or better than any other trailer I have owned so maybe the fiberglass bonding is better too.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

I have a 2005 Designer with aluminum wall framing and fiberglass (gel coat) sides. Up until 6 months ago it was stored outside, uncovered. I bought it used in 2007. I have not found any delamination on the trailer anywhere.

We were not looking specifically for fiberglass, but we did like the idea of aluminum wall frames. In the Northwest, we have plenty of moisture, and wood frames with leaks can easily end up with dry rot in our moist climate.

My wife fell in love with this trailer, one of the first we looked at, and she would not seriously consider any others we saw afterward. We were upgrading from a 27-foot Hi-Lo.

2005 Designer 31RLS Fifth Wheel, 2009 Dodge Cummins 1-ton Dually (quad cab, long bed) w/6-speed automatic tranny.
avantidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
snip......I would be interested to hear if any Jayco owners have experienced delamination w/ theirs. Mike
A little off thread topic, but yes, I had a delamination issue with the Filon on my present Eagle. Jayco addressed/repaired the issue without hesitation, identified the root cause, and I remain a happy camper. This is my 2nd Jayco Eagle with the Filon outer surface, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
P5080427.JPG  

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

The 'fiberglass sides are really not fiberglass in the sense we think of it. The trade name is "Filon" and is used by all of the builders. It's constructed of 1/8" luan( not very strong) with a layer of chopped mat sprayed on it to hide the wood grain of the fiberglass and gelcoat shot on top of the mat. To do a solid fiberglass layup to achieve the same thickness would at least double and very likely triple the weight.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The part I don't understand is why they use an aluminum frame and then put heavy fiberglass sides on it. The heavy figerglass negates any weight savings.
I have owned RV's since 1979 and I will never again own anything other than a slick side. Currrently a 2004 Designer stored outside. No issues nor have I read of any on this web site.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #16

My idea of a lite weight trailer would be aluminum structure and aluminum siding. I would buy one like that in a minute. I much prefer the painted metal sides rather than the smooth sides that the decals will be peeling on. I have considered taking off most of the decals now before the outside coating gets much sun.

We had to get what we have to get the features we want.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #17

I've got a 2006 Jayflight 27.5 BHS that I've used in all kinds of weather (mountains, sun, etc) for 5 full seasons. I've always stored it outside in harsh WNY (Buffalo, NY) Winters with no covers of any kind. I've had absolutely ZERO problems with the filon siding.

Besides, let's be real.. Appearance-wise there is no comparison between the high-quality glossy looks of a 'fiberglass' sided camper and an alumunium sided trailer. To each there own but the glossy, clean look of the fiberglass blows away the alumunium in my opinion.

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #18

Talking

Just little things that make a world of difference such as I'm 6'1" and I can walk around the bed without hitting my head in our Eagle 321 and my wife said absolutely "no way Jose" to a shower in her bedroom.
we spent more than we planned but we are the kind of folks that keep stuff a long time so the cost per trip hopefully will get real cheap in about 15 years,after 4 trips its now under 10K a campout
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #19

More important than the difference between siding is the difference in construction. The Jayflights use all wood construction with fiberglass insulation while the Eagles use welded aluminum framing in the floors and walls with foam insulation. The Eagle TTs have wood roof trusses with fiberglass insulation while the Eagle fivers have aluminum trusses and foam insulation in the ceiling (why Jayco doesn't do that for the TTs is beyond me). Fiberglass insulation will hold far more water than foam in the event of a water leak, increasing the potential for damage. Fiberglass can settle over time creating "heat holes" but foam is reasonably stable.

The Eagle line has better construction than the Jayflights. There are more 110v outlets available (one can never have too many outlets!). Many of the options in the Jayflight line are standard in the Eagle line and the Eagles have more options available.

Going back to the siding issue. While the Filon siding looks better than aluminum and is far more dent resistant, the aluminum siding can be peeled back for repairs and modifications. Filon is pretty much impossible to peel back plus the foam insulation makes it pretty much impossible to pull wiring etc.

For example, two Jaycos I have considered are the Jayflight G2 33RLDS and the Eagle 330RLTS. These have very similar floor plans with the Eagle having a third slide in the bedroom. That additional slide increases storage room immensely but one pays for it with additional tongue weight (the entire trailer is heavier). To accomodate the bedroom slide, the Eagle has less kitchen counter space than the G2. The countertops in the Eagle's kitchen are much better and the range has a larger oven.

Both the G2 and the Eagle have two backwalls available: an entertainment center and an expensive, optional (plastic) ledgestone fireplace. Both walls in the Eagle have a 110v outlet on the sidewalls at the back. The G2 does not.

The two things that pretty much have clinched the Eagle for me were the increased bedroom closet space (which is huge for me since I will be fulltiming) and the welded aluminum framing with foam insulation in the walls and floor. I just wish they had done that in the ceiling like they did with the fivers.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Just little things that make a world of difference such as I'm 6'1" and I can walk around the bed without hitting my head in our Eagle 321 and my wife said absolutely "no way Jose" to a shower in her bedroom...
I'm a tall broad but still, that's only 5'8" so head room isn't a problem. I agree with your wife about a shower in the bedroom. In fact, I don't want any part of a bathroom in my bedroom, even a sink. That and pass through bathrooms are deal killers for me due to lack of privacy. If I buy the 330RLTS (more a matter of when than if), one mod I will do will be to remove the sliding door between the bathroom and the bedroom and fill in the doorway with a matching wall (actually easier than it looks). It isn't that much further to the hall entrance from the bedroom.