Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

JOF diners drive inns and dives

I realize we are scattered across two countries but we do travel the same road ways and wonder about some favourite stops along your travel routes. I am looking more for the off the wall places or ones you are not so sure about. Most often stopping at a chain restaurant you know what you are going to get. Last weekend we had to make a 12 hour trip with our friends for a funeral. We had stopped at a restaurant that is a small local chain because we know how good they are called "Home restaurant" we went here because we knew they were good and we liked them. Along our way we were travelling along hwy 1 in BC towards Calgary. We past a little place and buddy said "we should have stopped there". The place he mentioned was an old bee-hive burner converted into a restaurant. We were still full from breakfast so decided t wait until our return trip. We made the stop and found this to be one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. Truly a gem in he middle of nowhere. Here is a link with some pictures and history of the place. Do yourself a favour and visit some of these places in your travels.

http://www.theburner.ca/

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

In New York State:

Canajoharie (not far from exit 29 off NYS Thruway) - Mercato Pizza. Discovered on a trip back from Howe Caverns last month. Best pizza if my life, hands down. We were there at lunch but there is also a classic Italian menu. No website, but here's the deets on yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mercato-pizz...nt-canajoharie

Buffalo - Ted's Hot Dogs. It's a local chain with a couple of locations in the Buffalo area. The also have one in Arizona. Hot dogs and burgers cooked inside on charcoal grills that line the restaurant-length counter. We stop here every single time we go anywhere near Buffalo. Try the Loganberry shake - it's also a local favorite. http://www.tedshotdogs.com/

Also in Buffalo - Anderson's Frozen Custard. Mmmm. Frozen Custard. What else can I say? Plus, it's across the street from Ted's. http://www.andersonscustard.com/

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Down here in Southern Indiana, we like to camp at the Land Between the Lakes area (Kentucky and Barkley Lakes). There is a restaurant in Grand Rivers that draws people from everywhere, they even have their own air field so people that have planes can fly in!!!

But they are noted for their 2" thick pork chops and their home made pies! Their specialty sandwiches are out of this world, (the Kentucky Hot Brown is my favorite)! I love their lemon meringue pie that has a "mile high" meringue!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti's 1880 006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7310 MMmmm good!!! (Click on the pic to get a better view, the DW had to sneak a bite!!)

http://www.pattis-settlement.com/
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #4

In Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, there is a little family owned restaurant called the Hawksbill Diner, located on Rt 340 South in Stanley, VA (Page County). Food is excellent, and prices are cheap. Service is also great. The locals routinely pack the place, but there is room for visitors, too. See you there !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Hillbilly Hotdogs in Lesage, WV. Great hotdogs and the best fried pickles I have ever eaten.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Ever had your food thrown at you? Go here...
http://www.throwedrolls.com/
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

I know there are a few Long Islanders on here, but if your ever in Riverhead, NY you must get pizza from Road House. Lived near there for a short time but best pizza I ever had, and off the wall toppings! The Gourmet pizzas don't seem to be on the menu, but they (used to anyway) have some crazy toppings. The peanut butter & Jelly, and baked ziti pizza's where 2 of my favorites.
http://www.roadhousepizza.com/home.html

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

While camping at Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge we kept hearing about this place called Meers Restaurant. We decided to give it a try. I'm not one to pass up a GOOD burger and boy was this a GOOD burger. Served in a pie tin with fries, an ice cold homemade rootbeer and I was good for a few hours!!!

http://www.meersstore.com/
2002 Chevy Silverado
Beerlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #9

I love a good hamburger! There is a greasy spoon in Nevada MO, which I like. It is called “Whites”; the locals call it Whities (sp??). The grill is right off the end of the counter. You can watch them pull out a ball of meat, throw it onto the griddle, and start smashing it down, as it cooks they continue to smash it and the grease just pours out, after a few smashes then they add the onions to the burger and smash them in. When all cooked there is no extra grease at all. The fries are homemade. The fries are made the day before and they soak them in a brine solution over night.

Hummmmm, I think I might need a trip southbound!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

This is one of the best "road food" websites I found while working as photo editor of Texas Highways magazine. We commonly used some of their TX reviews!

check it out here:

http://www.roadfood.com/

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote