Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #21

Just to kill some time and to get out of the house, my wife and I drove up to a large (with a capital L) RV dealer located south of Fort Worth, Texas. All kinds of motorhomes, fifth wheels and travel trailers. We looked mainly at motorhomes and were very disappointed. One thing I noticed that really struck me as odd, they have shortened the backrest of the dinette benches. Seemed to be half the height of my 2018. Makes me wonder if they are that desperate to cut costs, what did they cut where I can’t see.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:05 PM   #22

Exactly what we have ben thinking for years!

Great thread and I have to say the stories told here match my and my wife feelings exactly. In 2012 we took delivery of our Jayco Jayflight 26 RKS Élite with upgrades has been perfect for us. Our decision of getting the model with the Bunk beds and unique living area.... we recently pulled the Jack knife couch out and replaced with 2 very nice swivel recliners. With the tank capacities and layout it is very comfortable... the bunks become more of a storage area than sleeping area. We have the 15k AC, larger refrig, (propane and electric) Gas/Electric water heater and so much more... before Covid we would go out 3 or 4 times a year and my gas 2500 HD truck didn't even know it was behind us. We built a RV garage for the car and TT so, it is still like brand new! I have no idea what the replacement cost on a unit like ours would be now what our TT value is but my guess it has held its value even though it's 2012 model!

We occasionally have gone to some recent dealers and shows and we are very surprised on how they have cheapened a lot of the units ... I am sure the idea is to get the weight down and save money but in our eyes they have gone too far! Anyway I've added a few photos of our set up.... on the post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2248.JPG   IMG_2250.JPG   IMG_2252.JPG   IMG_2253.JPG  
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I have a propane/electric Norcold fridge in my camper and I really like it but it's going on 10 plus years old now. I would likely replace it with a 12V fridge and was wondering how fast they cool down and if a single deep cycle battery would be sufficient to precool it since I have no electricity in my storage facility.
My cooling unit died on my Norcold in Oct. I considered replacing it with both an normal AC fridge and a 12v compressor cooling unit setup. But after looking at the amp draw on even the 12v, decided I'd just put another AC/12v old school cooling unit on it. From the information I could get, if you only drive conservatively about 6 hours or so a day, your battery (considering a non-lithium battery) could probably handle it, but barely. Any more than that, and you'd better wait to get food until you get where you're going. That's a deal killer for me as I never drive that little I a single day.

On the plus side, the 12v compressors are just like having a home fridge. They cool quite well from what I've heard and you don't have to worry about how level the unit is for fear of it burning up. The only negative I've heard from some is the durability is hit and miss. But that's strictly hearsay...I have no firsthand knowledge of that.

But these are the reasons my next coach will probably be a build myself from scratch in a Sprinter van. I can put in what I want, how and where I want it and run it my way. Love my 2015 5er, but with the kiddo grown up and it just being me, I don't really need all the space for most trips. But still nice for the bigger/longer trips, like ski trips and such.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 AM   #24

We love our 2019 Redhawk C, purchased new, did lots of upgrades, repairs have been the usual stuff, after 30K+ miles, (1 year full time between houses), no big issues, except the gelcoat peeling on the front cap, which we had re-sprayed with urethane paint.

But after 3 rigs with LP fridges, we’ve had it! Went to 12V, so far it’s worked out, but time will tell. We don’t do much boondocking but I have enough power for 2-3 nights, (without AC unless I run the generator)

Yup, lots O crap out there, it’s a shame!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote