Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 AM   #1

Just needed to say this

Hello all,just wanted to pass this on,this happened to my wife and I .

Let me say this, my wife and I where in Angleton Texas a week or so back, on our motorcycle, we are older folks and not in to hot rodding,just going for a nice ride,well this Jacked up dodge or Ford white four door dulley,pulled in front of us off a side street and smoked us (Rolling coal) we could not see, several people seen that,we all pulled up to the light and this guy was laughing very hard thought it was real funny,first off we could not see,the attack was unprovoked from us, we have a Diesel truck and would never do this to a vehicle,

What has happed to any respect at all ????? I understand that soon there will be a law in Texas that will come with a $ 5000 fine for( Rolling Coal)
sorry if any one here does this and you are Offended.......

OK Rant over ! Thanks Back to Camping !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #2

Immaturity is the main cause of that kinda behavior. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #3

There is an overall lack of respect in this country that has evolved over time. We are raising a generation of spoiled, entitled brats who not only have no respect for anyone including themselves.

The lack of respect drives the attitude we are seeing towards authority and will eventually lead us to a collapse of epic proportions. I did 27 years in law enforcement and fear for my brothers and sisters still active.

Buckle up folks we let it happen and it may be too late to stop it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #4

I don't know if the current generation is any different than others. I remember my father saying the anti-Vietnam war kids in the 60's were going to cause the end of America as we know it. "They don't respect America" I remember him saying. I wonder how many of those kids that my father thought didn't respect America and would cause it to be destroyed are now RVers with flags on their rigs going across America and teaching their grandkids to respect it?

My point is, I guess, that there will always be idiots and age does not have monopoly on whether or not you are disrespectful or not. Driving down the road in my RV at 65 MPH I have been flipped off by pretty much every age level.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
My point is, I guess, that there will always be idiots and age does not have monopoly on whether or not you are disrespectful or not. Driving down the road in my RV at 65 MPH I have been flipped off by pretty much every age level.
Just laugh and think, they are just jealous!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Team

An item in our local paper points this lack of respect. Two mens car was stuck in a ditch here yesterday and a good Samaritan came along and offered to help. After assisting in getting them out, they shot him multiple times in the chest and left.

He died and both creeps were caught.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

A dash or helmet cam video with all the necessary details, including the laughing driver, forwarded to local law enforcement (preferably motorcycle unit if there is one) would probably discourage this behavior.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
There is an overall lack of respect in this country that has evolved over time. We are raising a generation of spoiled, entitled brats who not only have no respect for anyone including themselves.

The lack of respect drives the attitude we are seeing towards authority and will eventually lead us to a collapse of epic proportions. I did 27 years in law enforcement and fear for my brothers and sisters still active.

Buckle up folks we let it happen and it may be too late to stop it...
And yet a lot of politicians preach entitlements, free cell phones, free college, free this free that etc. etc.

I'll just leave it at that.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #9

"rolling coal" is just silly. I guess my ego is too small to understand why someone would do that. Along with loud exhaust, loud stereos, flashy vehicles, etc. I guess I just don't see why someone would want to go to the effort and spend the money to do that.

BTW, I'm a member of the "entitled" generation you speak of, and I can assure you that it's not "generational". Every generation has said the next one will be the ruin of the world, and we're still here. I think it's more societal than anything else. I bet I've seen at least as many or more a-holes collecting social security retirement as I have collecting social security disability or medicaid (or any other "entitlement").

TimHolt is absolutely right when he said "age does not have a monopoly" on a person's level of respect. There are disrespectful people of every age class. One thing I will not do is allow their behavior to define me or my behavior. And I will raise my son that way as well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Kids learn what parents teach them.

parents are not teaching ACCOUNTABILITY like they should be either.
When I go to schools to work on printers. I am shocked at some of the things I hear kids saying to teachers!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

This all goes back to no personal responsibility.. if little Johnny fails in English it is the teachers fault.. Instead of a first place trophy everyone gets a participation medal. I fear for the world if this continues..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

"Kids these days."

Has there ever been a generation that has not said the next generation will be the ruin of America?

Wasn't Elvis going to be the ruin of America? Wasn't Rock and Roll going to be the ruin of America? Wasn't Alice Cooper, the Beatles, Ozzy Osborne, Beavis and Butthead, long hair, X rated movies, R Rated Movies, The Exorcist, the Moral Majority, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, the Internet all going to be the end of America?

Seems we are still trucking along...And whatever today's end of America is going to be will be laughed at 25 years form now as not being the end of America...
Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
I remember my father saying the anti-Vietnam war kids in the 60's were going to cause the end of America as we know it.
They did

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

Truth is, every generation has "caused the end of America as we know it". That's the nature of the beast. Things change, ideas change, cultures change, it's human nature. In many cases, it's for the better; in some it's for the worse.

I have some faith in my Gen X and Gen Y cohorts. Most of the people I associate with (perhaps that is part of the problem with my perception) are raising their kids much like depression-era kids. We went through quite a recession in our "formative" years. Many of us were un- or under-employed. It was, and in a lot of ways, still is hard times (And what caused a majority of this? Oh yeah, the previous generation, but that's a different discussion.)

My point is (at least insofar as many of my interactions) there is somewhat of a resurgence in individual responsibility, innovation, and raising kids with some level of respect and independence. I can't change the way others raise their kids, but I can raise MY kid right. And hopefully, this tactic will spread and other parents will raise their kids right, and so forth and so on.

I know there are problems, and lots of people think it's doomsday for us all (Chicken Little anyone?), but I still have faith that we'll be okay. Just don't let a couple bad apples define the entire batch; there are a lot of us out there still fighting the good fight.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #15

What is rolling coal?

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
What is rolling coal?
Search it on YouTube. It's truly idiotic IMO.

Basically, modified diesels blowing clouds of black smoke all over other drivers, just for the "fun" of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #17

I had never heard the term "rolling coal" until now, but I did see black smoke pouring from the vertical semi-style exhausts on a crappy pickup on our last trip. I felt sorry for the guy because his truck was apparently (to me) running poorly. Had no idea it was deliberate.

Back in the 70s I knew a Harley rider who had a bit of a temper and little patience for idiot drivers who cut him off or pulled out abruptly in front of his bike. He had a leather sunglasses pouch on his windshield in which he kept very large steel ball bearings. When someone endangered him with their driving, he'd fling a ball bearing or two at their car. I always thought that was a bit nuts, but I do admit that there have been a few occasions when I've been riding that it was good that I did not carry those metal missiles.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #18

I keep my ball bearings in my pouch at all times.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
And yet a lot of politicians preach entitlements, free cell phones, free college, free this free that etc. etc.

I'll just leave it at that.....
To me this is a problem! I see a bunch of the new (younger) folks that are being hired in my profession with this sense of entitlement. When they ask why they don't have something or didn't get something, my response has always been "Why don't you try earning it first!"
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #20

My parents used to have 2 cars. One was a full size Bonneville 4 door with a big V8. The other was a VW beetle.

When driving the former people would slow down and pull over for them. In the latter, they would try to run them off the road.

That was 40 years ago. Nothing has changed.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote