Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Just returned from Maine...

...and amazing as it may seem, there's still some lobster left.

Seriously folks, had a great time with our first MAJOR outing with our Jay Feather 23RLSW. Confirmed that the black tank flush system leaks under the vanity, going in for service week of July 4, prior to our next outing. Also found a new loose threaded water fitting on the output side of the water pump (which we never use except during winterizing), but was able to get that tightened up myself - will have the dealer look at that, too.

And finally, the shower door is at least 1/4" out of plumb, and has ripped the seal off the base of the shower enclosure frame, so the dealer will look at that as well.

Anything to complain about? Nope, just minor stuff far as I'm concerned. We used pretty much everything at some point. Happy to be home after a little more than 1600 miles. I'll post some pix where people can get at 'em. And I'll have some comments on the campgrounds where we stayed.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Glad you enjoyed and didn't let the minor stuff get you ruffled.

Maine is Beautiful and fresh lobster is amazingly good. Especially sitting on a picnic table next to the water!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Maine is Beautiful and fresh lobster is amazingly good. Especially sitting on a picnic table next to the water!
DW and I had lobster again on Wednesday evening, our last day in Maine. Check the pictures!

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
dueling lobsters.jpg   Shore Hills Site.jpg  

Old 06-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

Just had some( lobster) tonight. at home

Going to Acadia next week hopefully before all of you come. Just kidding, we know where the quiet side of Acadia is..

Looks like you got ( finally) decent weather. It rained all April and was cold in May and will start raining again next week. Meanwhile we enjoy the six days of summer

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:53 AM   #5

Sounds like a great trip. We love Maine and will be heading up there for a few days in July. Thanks for leaving us some lobster
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #6

Would love to hear about some of the campgrounds up there in Maine. We'll be heading north in 2-3 weeks with no particular destination but I'd enjoy spending some time in Maine. Only placed we've camped there in Bailey's in Scarborough and I'd like to find something a bit less crowded. Thanks

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #7

We're heading up in August; staying at the Red Apple Campground just outside Kennebunkport. Never been there before (either the campground or Maine or that matter). This campground supposedly brings the lobster right to your site if you order it at the office before 9AM !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Would love to hear about some of the campgrounds up there in Maine. We'll be heading north in 2-3 weeks with no particular destination but I'd enjoy spending some time in Maine. Only placed we've camped there in Bailey's in Scarborough and I'd like to find something a bit less crowded. Thanks
We really like Chewonki Campground in Wiscasset and will be spending a few days there again this year. Can't speak to the campgrounds further north/east yet as we haven't made it that far. We used to sail off the main coast, usually up to the Bar Harbor area and the area is absolutely beautiful, which is why we want to go back.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

Well sitting here all you who go for the beaches go to an extension of Massachusetts.

If you want to see inland Maine and moose etc.. go north.. Jo Mary Campground accommodates RVs as well as Allagash Gateway campground

We'll be heading boondocking at a North Maine Woods campsite. They are scattered all over the state particularly in the northern half. No amenities.

We live across the lake from Kokatosi Campground. Family friendly on a small lake. Good fishing. Of course I have never camped there.

I had a heart attack when I looked at the KOA rates near Bar Harbor.. We are headed to Schoodic which is some 77 dollars cheaper a night. And has hookups.

If you don't need hookups, Cobscook Bay State Park has some of the most magnificient ocean front scenery .
Mountains and lakes? South Arm Campground on Richardson Lake

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #10

We stayed at Shore Hills Campground, outside Boothbay Harbor. What a delight! The sites are large, well spaced, and very level; the surface is fine gravel. The Class A area is open and has many pull-through sites, while the rest of the park is wooded and very pleasant. There are many waterfront sites, which we did not have. The park does not have a lot of recreational facilities - no pool or big playground for kids - but they do have a fairly inexpensive shuttle that will take you into Boothbay Harbor (note: it can be a real challenge to park in BB Harbor). Friendly staff, free WIFI and cable TV. We would love to go back.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

Looks like you had a great time!

As far as the black tank vacuum breaker leak. We had 3 of them. Have the dealer replace the part with this part:

JR Products 571-VAC-CHK-A Vacuum Breaker/Check Valve

Instead of this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+v...3lNSA3QQyeM%3A

We had 3 bad parts over the 2 years and finally replaced it with JR part and all has been well. Just thought I would pass it on.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #12

Minor side note on this trip: Noticed more Jaycos in Maine percentage-wise than I usually do around home in central PA. The campground where we stayed was about 1/4 Jaycos, about 1/4 Dutchmen, and the rest were a wide variety. Around here I'm used to seeing no more than about 10% Jaycos.

One other thing I found interesting - there were a LOT of obvious rental Class C units in and out of the campground during the 8 days we were there. I just thought that was a little odd.

Roger

Old 06-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Minor side note on this trip: Noticed more Jaycos in Maine percentage-wise than I usually do around home in central PA. The campground where we stayed was about 1/4 Jaycos, about 1/4 Dutchmen, and the rest were a wide variety. Around here I'm used to seeing no more than about 10% Jaycos.

One other thing I found interesting - there were a LOT of obvious rental Class C units in and out of the campground during the 8 days we were there. I just thought that was a little odd.

Roger
From what states? There are very few RV dealers in Maine;about ten and most sell RVs on the side. They are all small, no Camping World sizes and two of them are Jayco dealers. I got mine from is one of the biggest dealers and all they sell are K-Z and Jayco

Out west about half of all the RV's we saw were Class C rentals. I actually haven't seen many here. there is only one place that does that in Maine in Saco.

Of course for those living in MA this can be a viable option.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
From what states? There are very few RV dealers in Maine;about ten and most sell RVs on the side.
Alas, I wasn't paying close attention to the plates, so I don't know what states they were from.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

For those of you with a bent on shopping,Freeport has a municipal waterfront campground. Fees run about$35 a night for oceanfront sites. No hookups, has dump station. Generator hours three times a day.

Freeport Maine: Winslow Park and Campground

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
We really like Chewonki Campground in Wiscasset and will be spending a few days there again this year. Can't speak to the campgrounds further north/east yet as we haven't made it that far. We used to sail off the main coast, usually up to the Bar Harbor area and the area is absolutely beautiful, which is why we want to go back.
Thanks for the feedback, Rob. Looks like a nice spot. I'll check it out closer on RVParkReviews.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

Never paid attention to that Chewonki Campground at all. We are new to RVing and have camped on a Chewonki island further down the bay. Usually approached from Georgetown Island in kayaks

Anyway there is lots to do in the area. Reid State Park in Georgetown has a two mile beach as well as Popham Beach in Phippsburg

Bath has lots of interesting shopping and dining. Five Islands has a great view and lobster pound ( in Georgetown)

Maine Maritime Museum in Bath

Lots of local trails on local land trusts.

The Back River which the campground is on is quite beautiful. Again we never got out of our boats. We used to circumnavigate Westport Island

If you can stomach the brief but intense traffic jam in Wiscasset. Boothbay Harbor and some magnificient hiking at Oven Mouth is within half an hour.

( there is yet ANOTHER referendum for a proposed Wiscasset bypass this year)

Good Shaws supermarket in Bath for groceries. Nothing to speak of further up US 1

Chewonki has many sites with 15 amp.. But its very doubtful you will need your A/C ever. Goes past 80 degrees very seldom.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in