Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #21

I sold them for 20 years in my auto parts stores and didn't mean for anyone to think I was insinuating they weren't any good...they are a great filter just no better in my opinion than OEM AND NOT WORTH THE MONEY DIFFERENCE.
Both are good, your choice
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #22
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have a K&N clone on my 2004 Silverado put it on the day I got the truck and now have over 400,000 on the clock never a problem. those that have oil on the mass airflow sensor either over oiled the filter or put oil on both sides. I clean and oil mine once a year.

Take an oil sample and send it off for testing. See what your silica level is. If it is that is dirt and grit getting through. How many sets of injectors have you gone through. That is another sign of dirt and low lube.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
I sold them for 20 years in my auto parts stores and didn't mean for anyone to think I was insinuating they weren't any good...they are a great filter just no better in my opinion than OEM AND NOT WORTH THE MONEY DIFFERENCE.
Both are good, your choice

I would have to search for the tests results that were run sometime back but all of the after market stuff did worse in filtering than the OEM air filters. They put them in at the factory for a reason. If there was something better they would put that in.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #24

The Factory OEM Filter is as good as you can get. I use K&N on one car, and have used them on others before and never had a problem, just do not over oil it after cleaning or it can throw check engine codes.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #25

Thanks for all your help, not worth the argument.
You are probably right.
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #26

Well I decided to toss my K & N filter for a WIX filter. I've always been told WIX is the top of the line...........who knows
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #27

I have a K&N on the Excursion. Keep it clean and lubed. Now if anybody watches Motortrend most of the car shows they have at the end of the build and they are talking about the car they use K&N. Now those motors are some high dollar stuff. Not saying it is right but they are not going to put some piece of crap on those high dollar motors. . I have read the comparrison chart and I know what it says but I like the K&N.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #28
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
I have a K&N on the Excursion. Keep it clean and lubed. Now if anybody watches Motortrend most of the car shows they have at the end of the build and they are talking about the car they use K&N. Now those motors are some high dollar stuff. Not saying it is right but they are not going to put some piece of crap on those high dollar motors. . I have read the comparrison chart and I know what it says but I like the K&N.
And who paid the highest dollar to get their product on at the top of the show? It is not the best product on those shows it is who pays the most to get their product recognized. All comes down to money.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #29

K&N Filters

K&N’s are notorious for having poor filtering efficiency. I bought a 1995 4Ruuner last spring with a k&N filter in it from the PO and the intake tube was lined with dust. I switched to a carquest paper filter and not a speck.

Part of that could be lack of oiling the K&N but i have also seen 3rd party lab reports showing poor filtering efficiency.

If you want a good aftermarket filter look at S&B, AFe Progaurd 7, and AEM. All of those have 98-99% filtering efficiency while offering better flow than the paper filters
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And who paid the highest dollar to get their product on at the top of the show? It is not the best product on those shows it is who pays the most to get their product recognized. All comes down to money.
CAG I would have to say that you could have hit the nail on the head. But also how many people have watched these shows and figure if they do than it should be ok. I still like My setup though.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #31
DB1

I put a series 77 on my 6.2L a few months back, ,and had them on past Ram trucks w/ hemi’s ,never had a mechanic or mechanical issue with k&n. Clean and reoil lightly with k&n oil pending your driving habits w/ dust. You’ll be good.
DB1 is offline   Reply With Quote