Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #1

Keeping it clean

Hey all, looking for some advice from experience. When I store our TT for the winter I get a lot of fly poop being deposited on the aluminum siding and it sticks like cement, I managed to powerwash it off but it took a long time to remove. Has anyone used some sort of wax on the siding that might prevent it from sticking so hard?? I tried a product called Royal Reflections spray to clean it but it didn't perform as promised.
Signed, Pooped from cleaning fly poop!!
Rhody51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #2

Use 303.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=303+aeros...l_60tz55oo7n_e
Old 11-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
CAG

Rejex.
rejex.com

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #4

Just curious. Fly poop? Are you sure it’s fly poop? Reason I’m asking is I had a shinny brand new aluminum Snowmobile trailer parked in my yard in an area that I had trees limbs chipped to make mulch. I noticed a bunch of little spots scattered all over the shinny sides, which were hard, and almost impossible to remove. At first I thought it was tree sap. But on the trailer sides? How can that be. Then I remembered I’ve also seen these same spot on the vinyl siding of my house. What is this? It’s Shotgun fungus.
Google Shotgun fungus or Artillery fungus.
Instead of fly poop it could be that
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

I use Marine 31 Gel Wax on my metal siding for over 5 years. The front cap is a little dull, but the rest is shiny. Easy clean up on the poop. I usually coat the front before a trip.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I use Marine 31 Gel Wax on my metal siding for over 5 years. The front cap is a little dull, but the rest is shiny. Easy clean up on the poop. I usually coat the front before a trip.

Shiny is not the test. Will bugs and other "objects" wash off with a little water? Look at Rejex. It is used on military jets and other aircraft for that purpose. Many bikers use it on their helmets and the list goes on. Go to the Web Page. And Rejex shine beats anything I have used on any vehicle in 50+ years.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #7

My guess is that’s it’s spider poop. I get it all over my boat from spiders in the rafters.
Easiest way to clean it was to kill the spiders before I stored it for the winter. [emoji6]
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

303 does work pretty good but nothing in the world other than no sun will stop oxidation. Oxidation on the front cap is probably the worst battle you'll deal with, unless you keep it under a cover most of it's life or if you are lucky and you have a painted TT
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Shiny is not the test. Will bugs and other "objects" wash off with a little water? Look at Rejex. It is used on military jets and other aircraft for that purpose. Many bikers use it on their helmets and the list goes on. Go to the Web Page. And Rejex shine beats anything I have used on any vehicle in 50+ years.
Yes, bugs wash off easy, that’s why I have stayed with it. Glad you are happy with Rejex.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Thanks for everyone's responses. I looked up Artillery Fungus and I believe you are correct, it's also call "Fly speck" fungus, obviously why I thought it was from flies.
It makes sense since it's only on the one side and guess what, there's mulch on that side.
Thanks for the information.
Cheers
Old 11-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #11

Move your camper at least 20 ft away from the mulch. That’s how far it can shoot it’s spore. And it will shoot it toward anything that emits light or shines. As it naturally aims toward the sun. Amazing mother nature !
Old 11-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #12

Keeping it clean

Yes I read about how far they can throw spores, unbelievable.
Unfortunately I don't have the room to move it away. I think I'll try covering that side with a tarp, not the whole camper just that side to stop the reflection.
thanks
Old 11-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

You think that fungus is strange, Google zombie ants. Now that’s creepy!
Old 11-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #14

Used dryer sheets, several at a time, make great little scrubbies - a bug-cleaning method I learned on this forum. As they appear from the dryer I stuff them in an empty kleenex box for future use.

For bugs and tar I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover, a little time, and dryer sheets. Works well on fiberglass.

Hope you find a solution for spot-free aluminum.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Used dryer sheets, several at a time, make great little scrubbies - a bug-cleaning method I learned on this forum. As they appear from the dryer I stuff them in an empty kleenex box for future use.

Hope you find a solution for spot-free aluminum.
Dryer sheets are made of polyester, just as a warning, polyester will scratch your paint. Even paint on fiberglass. Now i will say, they make a great mosquito repellent, hank them around the areas you sit and mosquitos will leave you alone,.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Dryer sheets are made of polyester, just as a warning, polyester will scratch your paint. Even paint on fiberglass. Now i will say, they make a great mosquito repellent, hank them around the areas you sit and mosquitos will leave you alone,.
Thanks for the heads up. Dryer sheets are kind of scratchy and I use them gently and very well saturated.
And I'll check them out unsaturated for mosquito repellant.
This forum is a great source of info. : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote