Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Keystone Vs. Jayco

So we are in the process of selling our x17z in order to upgrade to a TT with the rear window and 2 chairs in the rear corner. Jayco only makes 2 models that fit. The White Hawk 27DSRL and the Jay Flight 26RLS.

Ideally, we'd like a fiberglass exterior but we are not fans of the passthrough bathroom of the White Hawk. The Jay Flight does not have a passthrough bathroom.

It's too bad Jayco doesn't make the 26RLS floorplan in a fiberglass exterior. We actually did look at a 2008 or 2009 Jayco that did have the fiberglass with stand alone bathroom but they don't do that anymore.

Anyway, I found a Keystone that fits the bill. Big rear window with chairs, stand alone bathroom and fiberglass exterior. We've been to the past 2 Hershey RV shows and we always compare the other brands to Jayco. Other manufacturers only used a partial bathroom door so it kind of resembles a public toilet stall.

We haven't seen the Keystone in person but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them as compared to Jayco. BTW, our heart is with Jayco!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

My first unit was a Keystone Outback that was brand new. Overall the unit was fine with little issues but the total craftsmanship was not as good as the Jayco. Floors had soft spots, ceiling was bowing in spots and the skin on the back of the unit was not attached fully.

The walk through tech made a comment upon purchase and stated "the outback line was better with not having as many issues as the other lines in Keystone"

As stated it was not a bad unit just felt that the overall construction was not as good as Jayco in total based on my opinion. If the unit you want is laid out exactly as you want and feels right then do it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Team

My fil has a 29' Keystone Outback TT. I have helped him work on it over the years. The craftsmanship IMO is not even close to the Jayco you are looking at.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

We almost chose a Keystone in '09 then wound up with our Jayco. When researching our 'short list' choices and googling the different companies that particular year, I spent quite a while finding issues/complaints about Jayco, but found far too many within the first hour with Keystone. With sites as BBB for example, the main issues back then seemed to be leaking. My guess is that Keystone has that figured out now and more than likely resolved. Either way, with the reputation back in 2009 as well as having a two year warranty instead of one year to work out the kinks, we went with Jayco.

We just came off a two week campout. There were two Keystones there, one brand new (owner was away), and one of which we spoke to the owner. Their's is a 2010 tt that had leaking issues by the second year (they didn't camp much the first year and then not in rain up until that second year - from Calif) of which Keystone wouldn't honor a warranty as they only had a one year warranty. By the time they realized they were out of luck (apparently Keystone also said they should have checked their roof that first year - their words) they owed more on the tt than they could sell it for... resigned to their fate, they gave credit to the salesman for getting more out of them that they should have paid, and them being gullable newbies.

I don't know what the new Keystones look like now or their reputation, but it may be helpful for you to visit the Keystone forums and google around to find what issues Keystone currently/continue to have. If all is well and you like the floorplan, you may have a new Keytstone. Hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Have you looked at the White Hawk 30 DSRE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
So we are in the process of selling our x17z in order to upgrade to a TT with the rear window and 2 chairs in the rear corner. Jayco only makes 2 models that fit. The White Hawk 27DSRL and the Jay Flight 26RLS.

Ideally, we'd like a fiberglass exterior but we are not fans of the passthrough bathroom of the White Hawk. The Jay Flight does not have a passthrough bathroom.

It's too bad Jayco doesn't make the 26RLS floorplan in a fiberglass exterior. We actually did look at a 2008 or 2009 Jayco that did have the fiberglass with stand alone bathroom but they don't do that anymore.

Anyway, I found a Keystone that fits the bill. Big rear window with chairs, stand alone bathroom and fiberglass exterior. We've been to the past 2 Hershey RV shows and we always compare the other brands to Jayco. Other manufacturers only used a partial bathroom door so it kind of resembles a public toilet stall.

We haven't seen the Keystone in person but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them as compared to Jayco. BTW, our heart is with Jayco!

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Like I said, our hear is with Jayco. When we went to all the other RV's at both Hershey shows we always compared the other TT's to Jayco. That says enough right there.

I haven't seen the keystone in person so I can't really comment on it compared to the Jayco, but I can only assume the Jayco would be better IMHO when I consider my previous experience.

This TT is actually going to be my retired parents, hence the lesser sleeping area. It's kind of funny that our little hybrid slept more people in an easier fashion without having to make beds. lol With that said, we toured the 30DSRE and I like it but my parents aren't thrilled with the living area. Even though they can move the chairs out and face the rear window and TV in the 30DSRE, they just liked the 26RLS better. They also didn't care for the passenger side slide and the kitchen/island setup although I did.

OK, here's a more thorough rundown. lol

White Hawk Pros
Lighter
Outdoor fridge
Larger Storage Compartment
Nicer TV setup
Fiberglass exterior

White Hawk Cons
Windows that don't open
Pass through bathroom
Difficult shower door entry
Lower interior height
Small dinette
No side windows in slide

Jay Flight Pros
Stand alone bathroom
Windows that open
Extra Cabinet in bedroom
Upgraded mattress
More interior headroom
Rear roof vent
Huge dinette with extendable seats
Bike carrier
I think the rear window is bigger
Porcelain toilet
Side windows in slide

Jay Flight Cons
Weird TV setup
No outdoor fridge
Metal exterior
Small outdoor storage

I'm sure I'm missing some points of each one but this is a basic rundown. I really think the fully loaded 26RLS is what they'll be purchasing.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

We bought the 2012 26RLS last April and love it. We had looked at it the summer before and were concerned about kitchen storage, and that odd TV stand so bought another brand and only used it 14 nights in 7 months. It spent approx. 75 days in the shops for numerous leaks, component malfunctions, etc. We didn't feel we would ever get to camp in it without problems so went back to the Jayco dealer who understood the problems with the other trailer and still took it in on trade, at a huge loss to us of course. But we love the Jayco, got all our "stuff" put away with storage to spare, and just moved the TV bracket an inch or so and solved the problem of it sticking out in the walkway when not in use. And zero leak or component problems!
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #8

I bought our 28bhs because it had the metal siding on it. I have read all the stories and had the fiberglass start to delaminate on my Trail-Lite, so I wanted to go for longevity and durabilty. When I upgrade hopefully I can find a 5er with the metal sides. Don't discount a trailer just for the metal siding.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

We have a 2012 Jay Flight 26RLS and love it. We have it set up at a seasonal campground but we still pull it out for the occasional road trip. Our neighbour at the campgrounds has a 2007 32' Outback that he has been trying to sell for over a year. His trailer has some serious de-lamination going on all four sides. He also has soft spots in his floor. He has commented that if and when he sells it, he will be looking at the 26 RLS. Even though it's a bit smaller than his, he likes the layout and two year warranty. He says he would never go back to a fiberglass skin again. We don't find the TV a problem, it's on a swivel base and we can turn it out of the way if needed. The only other con I might add is the lack of working counter space, I bought a metal folding cover for the stove which solved the problem. We like the air bed couch but we tell everyone the trailer sits 10 for ****tails, 6 for dinner but it only sleeps two.
baltimorebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Jayco

My father in law bought a Keystone the same time I purchased my 2010 Jayco. My Jayco had some problems under warranty, but Jayco backed the warranty. My father in law is already to sell his camper, due to poor quality. His camper is great looking, but the mechanical side is not as solid as my Jayco.

Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #11

My last RV was a NEW Keystone... I was driving down the highway and THE WALL FELL OFF. I had bought the RV new and took good care of it... When we looked they had used thin little sheet metal screws to hold the wall to the floor... Never again will I buy a KEYSTONE.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

At this point I don't even think it's an issue anymore. We haven't even seen the Keystone but our local Jayco dealer keeps sweetening the deal. They're knocking another $500 off and throwing in two MaxxAir covers.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
My last RV was a NEW Keystone... I was driving down the highway and THE WALL FELL OFF. I had bought the RV new and took good care of it... When we looked they had used thin little sheet metal screws to hold the wall to the floor... Never again will I buy a KEYSTONE.
HOLY COW!!!

I'll bet that had to be a frightening experience!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #14

We attended the Dayton RV show this year and there were a couple Keystone's. I thought the interior was nice, but that is all I can really say. I know, after seeing countless brands of TT's, I left there still feeling I made the right decision in our Jayco. We've had alot of people approach us at CG's and comment on how nice it is and really love the outdoor kitchen.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

I have owned 2 Keystone 5th wheels and had problem with both of them. Traded the 1st on cause of troubles and got another one. DUH. It had just as many problems and the dealer took care of the side wall rottened out from a leak that had been fixed before. Dealer stood the cost of everything as said Keystone wouldn't. So nothing bad on my dealer. So I moved on. Hope this helps. My new Jayco is great so far.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #16

My husband and I will be going to our first RV show next weekend, but I've been doing a lot of online research and we talk to anyone we can catch. So far we're really liking Jayco and have a few we will really being checking out at the show and the dealers. I've really appreciated this discussion on Keystones vs. Jaycos (esp. the post about the wall falling off while going down the road ). Thanks to everyone for their insights. What my husband really likes is that the cabinets in Jaycos are apparently built by Amish craftsmen.
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #17

Keystone Vs. Jayco

We bought a 28u in 2011. Has pretty much what you were looking for and like you my wife and I went to several RV shows over a few years and decided on this one. We haven't had any leaks but we needed the awning arm replaced and the slide out motors replaced. I don't blame Jayco for these issues as they were made by another company. Jayco has taken care of these problems for us. We do however love our trailer. If I had any reservations I would have insisted on different tires than the GY
China tires. They have not been an issue as of yet but don't have the confidence in them as I would with Kuhmos or an American made tire.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

This is my first Jayco. The workmanship is way better IMO. I have had Keystone 2 of them and had problems with both of them and the dealer stood the waranty as they said Keystone would not. Owned Crossroads and first one was good the second one was a Lemon. Was at the dealer and the factory longer than I had it. So far so good will let you know when we start using it. The fit and finish is so much better.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #19

On other forums I've heard some problems floating around about delamination issues with Keystone. I still like the idea of a 2 year bumper to bumper Jayco warranty.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #20

Have you looked at perhaps a slightly used model? The TT in my sig sounds just like what your looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_Jayco_JayFlightG2_29RLS.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6790

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote