Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Probably not best to post up any "Killer" outcomes...

"16 U.S. Code Chapter 7, Subchapter II Migratory Bird Treaty Act". Code of Federal Regulations. Cornell Law School. Retrieved 2007-10-14:
..........It is illegal to take, kill, or possess northern cardinals, and violation of the law is punishable by a fine of up to US $15,000 and imprisonment of up to six months
Thank GOD I live in the south... All of those "northern laws" would have done me in long along.
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
thank god i live in the south... All of those "northern laws" would have done me in long along.
lol
Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Thank GOD I live in the south... All of those "northern laws" would have done me in long along.
But that is FEDERA not local...US Code..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But that is FEDERA not local...US Code..
Ain't you know them there gob'mint laws don't apply to us confederate folk?

:beer:

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #25

Us71na is correct. The male cardinal is very territorial and can’t distinguish himself from another male in the reflection. Rubber snake may work but you can also try strips of Mylar hanging from your TT. I worked for an animal damage control company and we used Mylar on homes with woodpecker damage. The birds don’t like the reflection of Mylar...a few strips of silver/chrome available at a party store is cheap.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #26

I don't think I could live with shooting a Cardinal bird. Folklore always have the Cardinal birds associated with angels...

Hopefully you can come with up something that won't hurt the Cardinal Bird...

I had cut down a bush one spring day and right after I did this a Cardinal Bird would come up to the patio where I was usually sitting drinking some coffee. He is jumping up and down and telling me off big time. At first I didn't think much of it but it kept happening. Then it dawned on me about cutting down the bush. I went to the edge of the woods where I drug the small bush and sure enough there was a nest in it.

I pulled the empty nest out and placed in another bush close to where it was originally. Don't know if the Cardinal took it over or not but he stopped coming to the patio and yelling at me... True Story hehe...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #27

Wood peckers here major damage camper and house. Pellet rifle works great!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #28

Try tacking some dark screen (like window screen) over the glass. It would remove it reflectiveness and that is what your neighbor is going after...the bird in the glass (him). Or you can try and find something you can spray on the glass to cover the reflectiveness.

The other possible issue is he sees the window as an open hole in the wall of your camper and he just wants in. Maybe to nest, rest, have a smoke?

Birds don't understand windows aren't there to fly through and the bird they are attacking is a reflection. Removing the reflection will probably end the problem.......unless he's a salesman for Cardinal Campers, as someone mentioned earlier.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #29

After good morning pleasantries, I wold sing to my little Sparky. I sang "Little Red Bird" and "Oh, Sparky Boy" (a tune I wrote just for him).

Don't kill the poor feller, just talk, sing, and whistle if you like. He'll be so calm and friendly, and you will have a new best friend. I'm telling you birds like to talk and sing, people.

FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #30

They'll throw you in the can here in Indiana for killing a Cardinal, it's our state bird.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #31

Thanks to all for the advice and much needed comic relief.

This poor fella really beats himself up. I saw him hit so hard yesterday that he fell to the ground dazed and confused before regaining his senses and flying off. I need to solve this problem for both of our safety and sanity.

I'm definitely interested in non-lethal means. The cardinal is our state bird and even though I was unaware of the federal statute I didn't want to go down the "just shoot him" path anyway. Besides, even if I popped him there's no guarantee another cardinal or (fill in bird type here) won't take offense to their reflection after this one's gone.

I like the screen idea. I have some laying around in the shed. I'll just need to figure out a way to attach it to the window -ours are the frameless (I think they're called?) type with heavy tint. I might be able to pinch it in the seal, but worry about that causing a leak.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go. Thanks again.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
Thanks to all for the advice and much needed comic relief.

This poor fella really beats himself up. I saw him hit so hard yesterday that he fell to the ground dazed and confused before regaining his senses and flying off. I need to solve this problem for both of our safety and sanity.

I'm definitely interested in non-lethal means. The cardinal is our state bird and even though I was unaware of the federal statute I didn't want to go down the "just shoot him" path anyway. Besides, even if I popped him there's no guarantee another cardinal or (fill in bird type here) won't take offense to their reflection after this one's gone.

I like the screen idea. I have some laying around in the shed. I'll just need to figure out a way to attach it to the window -ours are the frameless (I think they're called?) type with heavy tint. I might be able to pinch it in the seal, but worry about that causing a leak.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go. Thanks again.
A few things that might work to mount a screen.

Command Strip hooks (removable)

Silicon or other sealant...a few spots every 6 inches or so, push the screen into it and let it dry. If placed on the window, should be able to remove with an ice scraper or the like.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #33

Could you use some suction cups with hooks on them to hold a screen on the window? I have also read that putting a bird feeder in front of the window will stop birds from flying into it. Glad to hear you aren't into lethal methods. I would love to have a cardinal in my yard, but the just don't come here.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #34

Spook, It's seeing his reflection in the mirror and is attacking it. Will the shade drawn help? If it is dark glass, hanging a streamer may help as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #35

Thanks guys. I like both ideas of the command strips and suction cups for a longer term solution. I thought I had screen, but turns out it was landscaping fabric, which is probably better. I cut it to slightly larger than the size of the window then put it up temporarily using a couple floral picks (think heavy duty toothpick). I poked the picks through the top of the fabric and pushed them into the ends of the rail of the window hinge. It's holding up well enough for the time being -enough to test the effect- and I'm confident this won't create a leak.

I'll run into town tomorrow for supplies and give an update on whether or not this has fooled my little friend.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
Will the shade drawn help? If it is dark glass, hanging a streamer may help as well.
The windows have a heavy smoke tint. Pulling the blind inside makes the mirror effect worse because it creates a dark background behind the glass. All of my windows are like this (it's an Eagle HT). Fortunately this is the only one he attacks -guessing since it's directly next to the tree branch he likes to sit on. I can foresee this becoming an issue with other windows depending on what site we're on when out and about. So a simple solution that I can move as needed would be ideal.

I do like the streamer and someone else's suggestion of Mylar ideas though. I could probably fab up a standoff mount for those too. Thanks for that!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I am a hunter (and I fish) so I am well aware of the laws but thank you
Didn’t realize you had the issue with the bird but no problem. No reason to ruffle up anyone’s feathers (LOL) in these “should be” relaxing & peaceful RV forums. Now feel free to join me down on the coast for some surf fishing one of these weekends. This rain we just had should be pushing the Trout out of the bay. Or perhaps to the Jetties for some bull red action...

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 AM   #38

I wish I could get to a coast for some fishing. I miss it more than I can say, more so the offshore fishing. Maybe one day if we make it to Texas I'll look ya up and we can f we t sone trout or flounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Didn’t realize you had the issue with the bird but no problem. No reason to ruffle up anyone’s feathers (LOL) in these “should be” relaxing & peaceful RV forums. Now feel free to join me down on the coast for some surf fishing one of these weekends. This rain we just had should be pushing the Trout out of the bay. Or perhaps to the Jetties for some bull red action...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #39

My buddy just got back from a trip and brought me some Ling and Snapper. With all the Snapper laws in the last 5-10 years, I know more laws , the fish have gotten huge. Said his first snapper was the biggest one he had ever caught and the guide just let it go. His mind was blown when he said “we just cull through those little ones”. I think the average size was 20#. The only negative was apparently they eat all other fish so there are like no spadefish or smaller snappers out there, just monster red snapper.....no complain here.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #40

Why not just hang up an actual mirror somewhere in the vicinity and see if he will bang away at that instead of your window. We had a "vicious" quail doing the same thing to our home one time. I happened to be quite adept at making quail calls, so I would open the slider a little as he went after the tinted window and make calls while he attacked the slider. Sometimes I was laughing so hard it hurt, but eventually he would get tired and leave.....until the next day.....but it all stopped at the end of mating season.

We have owned a lot of birds as pets and the effect of a well placed mirror can be pretty wild. If the mirror is hanging, he shouldn't hurt himself with his blows.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote