Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #21

F350guy..Murff's advice re: knee pads is like the MasterCard Logo.."Priceless!" Having been a P.T. for 45 years (90% in orthopedics), total knees are predictably successful. Time duration depends upon multiple factors(won't go into). Typically, it takes 8-12 weeks to recover mobility with reduced swelling. Thereafter, you can expect another 8 weeks or so to recover strength back to your baseline level of conditioning. This timeframe is typically an ideal timeframe. Most other experiences described are united in the idea that "your input into rehab" is directly proportional to the outcome..so, be smart, compliant, and patient. Get the knee pads...John, P.T. retired, now a traveler.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybearnard View Post
F350guy..Murff's advice re: knee pads is like the MasterCard Logo.."Priceless!" Having been a P.T. for 45 years (90% in orthopedics), total knees are predictably successful. Time duration depends upon multiple factors(won't go into). Typically, it takes 8-12 weeks to recover mobility with reduced swelling. Thereafter, you can expect another 8 weeks or so to recover strength back to your baseline level of conditioning. This timeframe is typically an ideal timeframe. Most other experiences described are united in the idea that "your input into rehab" is directly proportional to the outcome..so, be smart, compliant, and patient. Get the knee pads...John, P.T. retired, now a traveler.
Great info and advice. I'm now at 3 weeks post surgery and have 115 degrees flexion, if that is the correct word. I've been religiously following the in home pt I have been given. Done with that tomorrow and start out patient pt next Tuesday. Swelling is a limiting issue but it is slowly subsiding. Patience is not one of my strong suits but perseverance is. Anything will be better than the pre-surgery knee.

Any recommendations on knee pads? Amazon has a thousand of them.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
You guys are killing me talking about knee replacement. Right now we're at BAMC in San Antonio in Orthopedics, wife having knee issues as it has given out on her a few times. We know it's only a matter of time as she's been getting injections about every year and they have helped so we'll see. As far as being on my knees in my truck bed I've never had to with my fifth wheel hitch. Guess it just depends on the hitch.
I have a Reese Goose Box on our Pinnacle which requires hooking up the safety chains and airing up the bladder. I generally climb on the tail gate to do it. Only takes a few minutes but may not be something I want to do with the new knee. We'll see. I've had a number of standard hitches but the Goose Box is my absolute favorite for convenience and ride. I did keep the MorRyde cushioned pin box that was on it originally. If I have to I can take off the Box and get a standard type hitch, if that's what it takes to keep me going. Or, I can train the wife how to do it. She's got two good knees. We'll see how that works out.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:33 PM   #24

Just seen your question concerning knee replacement surgery and pulling a fifth wheel/tag along. I’m six months out from knee replacement surgery. We have a Jayco 330RSTS we just came back from a week at the beach no problems whatsoever. As far as getting down on your knees I was a little apprehensive at first but didn’t experience any discomfort at all matter of fact felt normal (no more creaking and grinding). With you having a fifth wheel I would think it would be less stress on your knee. As far as getting up into the bed of the truck I didn’t have any issues. The only thing I would caution you on is be DAMN careful stepping out of the camper as well as getting down from the bed of the truck. Good luck on getting the left knee replaced I’m eventually going to have to do the same. I wish I had not waited as many years to have my right one done. As you well know the physical therapy makes all the difference in the world as far as your recovery. Take care happy camping
Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:11 PM   #25

I haven’t had mine replaced but repaired, my father in law had one knee replaced at 76, the other at 80, he still pulls his bumper pull to nearby lakes at 83.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #26

I’m having my right hip replaced on the nineteenth, I’ve heard the hip is not as bad as a knee replacement.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
I’m having my right hip replaced on the nineteenth, I’ve heard the hip is not as bad as a knee replacement.
My in home pt lady said she considers hip replacements to be the easiest to work with. She said shoulders are the hardest.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybearnard View Post
Last year (2022) I had one knee replaced in July and the other in November. Murff and cybearnard are 100% correct in their insights. I have no pain in either knee. My complaint to the surgeon prior to the surgey was I couldn't ride a bicycle or climb a ladder; I can do both of those things now.

That said, cyberarnard's "baseline" comment is most appropriate, but often not discussed with the patient. The therapist referred to my "new knee". I soon learned it was a new knee in an old leg (I'm 74). That means that the decades of improper use of the muscles had to dealt with. That is a long and slow process.

Bottom line: I'm comfortable, and if I had more bad knees I'd have them all replaced.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:07 AM   #29

Knees are ok, but the feet suffer a bit at times. Because of my type two diabetes and nerve issues, it has effected how I walk.

However, I still work in the yard, on the Jayco, and best, the 1967 Camaro. The wife and I enjoy life.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Knees are ok, but the feet suffer a bit at times. Because of my type two diabetes and nerve issues, it has effected how I walk.

However, I still work in the yard, on the Jayco, and best, the 1967 Camaro. The wife and I enjoy life.
When I got back from VN in 1968 I bought a used 67 Camaro SS which I think had a 427, if I remember correctly. I didn't keep it long and traded for a new 69 Chevelle SS 396. Wish I still had both of them.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #31

Thumbs up To F350 guy

Glad to see your on the mend- keep up the PT and you should come out of it with flying colours. I had my left knee done in 2010 and I wish I could have had it done thirty years ago. Leg was severely injured while doing my job in the National Parks Service, now the right one is headed to the replacement bin also ( soon but not soon enough for me). Arthritis is a reminder of age and a t 72 years of age it is a constant reminder.
Good luck and stay at the PT, I still do it years later.
George and Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by George and Candace View Post
Glad to see your on the mend- keep up the PT and you should come out of it with flying colours. I had my left knee done in 2010 and I wish I could have had it done thirty years ago. Leg was severely injured while doing my job in the National Parks Service, now the right one is headed to the replacement bin also ( soon but not soon enough for me). Arthritis is a reminder of age and a t 72 years of age it is a constant reminder.
Good luck and stay at the PT, I still do it years later.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm at 5 weeks from surgery as of Tuesday. Last bending measurement was 122 degrees which really pleased the pt guy. I started outpatient pt last week and am now driving. Pain has greatly reduced but the swelling is still a hindrance. It seems like every morning I'm starting all over just trying to get the stiffness out. I am starting to see just a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel, I hope. It's been a lot of effort but it's worth it. At least now I know what to expect when I have the other knee done on December 28.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:14 PM   #33
Site Team

Keep up the good work Jim. I was just talking today to my much younger neighbor that had his left knee replaced more than two months ago and he admits to not doing his "PT homework exercises" like he should be, and his range of flexion isn't near what you have. I would have chastised him, but he's also the Police commissioner in our village.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:33 AM   #34

Both of my hips are Titanium and it was a life changing experience for the good. The right hip is now 23 years old and still going quite well. As stated above PT is paramount and all should be good. Best of luck Jim, and soon you'll wonder why didn't get it done sooner.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Both of my hips are Titanium and it was a life changing experience for the good. The right hip is now 23 years old and still going quite well. As stated above PT is paramount and all should be good. Best of luck Jim, and soon you'll wonder why didn't get it done sooner.
I had my right hip done two years ago. The doc was right as I too was saying "Why did I wait so long???"

Setting off metal detectors in airports is the only downside -- so far!
Old 06-12-2023, 10:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
My in home pt lady said she considers hip replacements to be the easiest to work with. She said shoulders are the hardest.
You will do fine. My hip was done in 2019. I was driving a week after and yes it was the right hip. No PT prescribed.Doc said just walk. No pain meds needed after the third day.

Knees are different. 2016 knee. It hurts to directly kneel on it. Ortho said that the replacement might feel very uncomfortable to kneel on and it wasn't meant for that.Padding helps

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #37

A week after total knee replacement I found it was easier to drive my truck than my suv since I had more leg room. After a couple of weeks towing, setting up and connecting the fifth wheel trailer was not an issue. When I needed to work on my knees I use either a knee pads or a supportive soft foam cushion.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #38

I have had both knees replaced last year. I have found that with a good set of knee pads I can get on my knees with no issues. Harbor freight has a few good pairs. It depends on how long you need to wear them on what you will want to get.
Bigger Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:31 PM   #39

I’m a retired RN and had a few experiences with knee and hip replacement surgeries. One patient was an NFL player who had retired but we still pretty well known. His biggest post op issue was he was 6’6” and taller than the bed was long. He needed some major bed mods and I was happy to be the point person for him. The old Stryker beds come in an airflow version so we requested one for him. He was so grateful to his nurses. He was also extremely motivated to get better and after he was discharged he’d come visit us periodically. He had had some complications during surgery and got an infection so we had him a long time and got to know him fairly well. After he got on his feet he visited us and one of the first thing he said was how grateful he was that we pushed him hard to do his PT.

My knees are working great but they have lost any padding they ever had. Kneeling to wash the dog in the bathtub was excruciating. I ended up getting a foam kneeling pad at Walmart’s garden department. It was just enough padding. The flexion issue on the other hand is what is most important. The knee pads flooring installers look pretty robust. I just got new floors and saw the ones the guys wore - very thick and had good Velcro straps.
Luckydog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:11 AM   #40

Since I started this I thought I would give a short update on how things are going with the new knee, now 4 1/2 months post surgery. When I first posted this I was really worried about continuing with our rv life. We've done 2 trips since August. The first was for 10 days shortly after completing my outpatient therapy. It went well and really no issues. Did a few 2 mile walks with not much pain.

The second trip was our annual month long trip to Colorado to enjoy Rocky Mountain NP. We are now 3 weeks into it. I did 4 loops around Lake Estes at 4 miles each as a warm up the first week. Our first hike was a 5 1/2 mile round trip to Mills Lake with an 800 feet elevation gain. Going up was fine but I found coming down was not as comfortable. We've done 4 more 5 to 7 mile hikes and each seems to be a little easier. What's strange is I still had some swelling when we got here but it got to be less after each hike to the point I virtually have no swelling now.

My concerns about crawling into the bed of our truck to do the hookups are no longer an issue. My wife has become an expert at doing it. I appreciate the encouraging posts above and hope I can offer the same encouragement. I know the results vary from person to person depending on a lot of factors but not having constant knee pain is so nice. I'm just hoping the left knee scheduled for late December goes well. At least I know what to expect.