Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #21

It makes a lot of sense...

KOA gets a tax credit to pay for the install of the wiring to the new charging station, and intends to be a combination with the RV pedestal.

If they add these to every tent space that has no power (or just a 20A circuit) in it today, they get a free ride to make the tent space available for an "overnight" spot for a small RV.... all on the taxpayer paying for power to the campsites that previously had no power to them before.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #22

Electric TOADS

To my knowledge there are no electric cars that can be flat towed.
Captain Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #23

I have yet to see any EV’s as toads, but given that it is becoming more difficult to get an ordinary vehicle, not 4WD with neutral range, to pull, I wonder if EV’s wouldn’t be the answer? Diesel electric railroad locomotives generate electricity when going down hill. They generate so much electricity that they must have radiators on the roof to dissipate the generated heat. What does this have to do with EV’s as toads? If you’re pulling an electric toad wouldn’t doing so charge the batteries?
Old 11-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #24

Current electric vehicles cannot be flat towed as there is no way to disengage the motors on the wheels.
wiarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #25

Electric TOAD

If the motors in the electric vehicles were NOT permanent magnet motors and instead were motors that the field and the stator had to be energized to work, you would in essence put the motor into neutral if it were not energized from the batteries. In fact electric drive locomotives are commonly towed dead, with no ill effects.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Nothing says camping like being stuck in a 50 miles radius and only being able to stay in KOAs.
Getting set up do people call call the camp ground and have someone bring 6 gallons of electricity when their battery dies in the road!
Retired chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Is there an EV that can be flat towed?
In short, no, you cannot flat tow any electric vehicle (EV) available in the market today. Electric vehicles work differently from their internal combustion counterparts. ... Basically, you can't shift an EV into neutral the same you would do with a gasoline Ford F-150, for example.
https://fourwheeltrends.com/can-you-...electric-cars/
That's exactly what I was thinking, as each wheel has its own motor to provide torque. I've been wondering what will happen when EVs replace ICEs -- what sort of technology will allow them to be flat-towed. I'll check that link out, maybe there's helpful/hopeful info there.

Personally speaking, I love the idea of EVs, and the main reason we don't have one right now is that we can't tow it behind the Precept we have on order.)
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #28

KOA cabins

Most KOAs have cabins and tent campers some of these folks may need EV charge stations.
2lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #29

I have seen tent camper in an electric car at a state park
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #30

You could charge the event with solar while going down the road with the toad on a trailer
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I just read all KOA campgrounds are putting charging stations in this year. I have never seen a electric car in a campground....
If you build it, they will come ; )
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #32

You’ll see this one at a KOA for sure as it’s my son’s new addition and his boy’s can’t wait to roll in without a sound. The DMV is now making a vinyl license plate for EV’s.
Attached Thumbnails
C2C7C030-CF7F-4B03-96C9-D5D51A5C6F09.jpg  
Old 11-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #33

I’ve seen a Tesla once at Disney’s fort wilderness campground, but it was parked at the site, I don’t know how it got there and it wasn’t plugged in. This was a few years ago when the subject wasn’t as hot as it is today!

The electric cars currently on the market are pretty heavy, I wouldn’t want to tow one if you could. That being said, like a few posters mentioned, US grids can’t handle it, let alone a KOA!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #34

These dang electric cars! Makes me want to dig out my great grandfather's letters to the editor complaining about those newfangled horseless carriages putting around scaring the poor horses to death. :-)
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #35
Site Team

Yep and also why you can't find a decent buggy whip anymore!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:04 AM   #36

Our golf cart had a lever you could disengage the wheels. It’s a shame they don’t have that. The weight of electric cars are also heavy for a toy hauler.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I do remember seeing a class C with a electric toad being charged in a CG in the last 6 months. Not a KOA and there was no charging station. I don't know enough about it to comment but there was a cord going to the pedestal.
I always get a kick out of memes like this one... We all know that cars with internal combustion engines sometimes catch fire, right? (Happened twice at the place I used to work.) But do you EVER read about it in the news? Meanwhile, some guy in a small town we've never heard of in a state most Americans can't even locate on a map has an EV fire, and it leads the highly news.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
unless they are totally off the electrical grid, their still defeating the purpose of electric vehicle, and are they carrying a portable generator incase they get stranded and run out of juice
It’s not a zero sum game, there is no “all or nothing” to this. Perhaps they prefer the size and convenience of an ev? Or perhaps they prefer the lack of ICE noise when driving down the road? Maybe they love the smooth acceleration of an ev? Or maybe they just love electric cars?
Some people prefer to use their F-350 duallys as their daily drivers to and from their office jobs and we don’t complain much, why bother the ev folk?
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #39

I have driven electric cars before and I was not that impressed except the off the line. Still like my 2020 Ford Explorer better.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #40

Ok, I’m no expert in this area, but as I pointed out in my original post, diesel electric locomotives generate enough electricity to require a radiator and blower on the roof to dissipate heat generated by the motors turning while not being feed power from the diesel generator. Electric cars appear to recharge their batteries while going downhill without being feed power for propulsion. Why can’t they be flat towed which would get the batteries charged on a long tow? Clearly there is something about EVs that I don’t get.