Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Leak - Rear of fridge

I have been experiencing a leaks in my passenger side slideout since the first year we owned it. Everytime I think I have solved it, the problem disappears often for months at a time and then reappears with fresh evidence that I have not solved the problem.

The leak is above the floor of the slide as I know the water is tracing along slide floor before dripping down onto the primary floor of the RV. I have caulked every intrusion point I can think of. On that slide I have a large window, a speaker and a Norcold Fridge with top and bottom vent shields.

Today I was able to trace the leak along the floor to the rear third of the slide letting me know that it had to be coming from somewhere near the speaker or behind. I pulled the speaker and it was dry all around... Not the source.

During my search I had the fridge vents pulled off and my bride happened to notice a drip of water fall from inside the fridge. After some prodding around I got out my endoscope and was able to see plenty of moisture above the vent in and along the rear insulation. I traced a line of moisture up to an area around the height of the drip tray. I was also able to get an image of the drip tray tube itself. That area seemed dry. My fridge had been running for a month straight in some very warm climates. The freezer had quite a bit of ice in it and the fridge had stopped once during our trip. I did not see the malfunction so I am not sure which error code it was throwing.

Any suggestion as to what would be generating enough water at the rear of the fridge to travel down to the slideout floor, along it’s 6 feet of length and then drip out onto the RV floor enough to create a significant puddle??? Could this all be from ice in the freezer melting and then escaping to the rear of the box?
Attached Thumbnails
F684BF18-7D02-48AA-A405-CF2F1BD0AC60.jpg   865D1435-9A1D-44D5-BCB4-6E9DE55F3CBE.jpg   816B328D-6750-4516-AC87-EB3BBBC1EB3D.jpg  

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post

Any suggestion as to what would be generating enough water at the rear of the fridge to travel down to the slideout floor, along it’s 6 feet of length and then drip out onto the RV floor enough to create a significant puddle??? Could this all be from ice in the freezer melting and then escaping to the rear of the box?
If you're in a high humidity area could be condensation on the back wall of the fridge at the freezer.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you're in a high humidity area could be condensation on the back wall of the fridge at the freezer.
X2. I noticed moisture in the back of our fridge too earlier this summer. It's definitely condensation.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 AM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks both!

I am going to have to go back through all my old “Leak” posts and see if I can come up with some common elements that might lead to that volume of condensation and look for a solution.

We were on the road for 32 days this time and started in Myrtle Beach and on to Nashville. But we finished with a week back in Ontario where we found evidence of the leak on the last day of the trip.

To complicate things there was a significant rain storm the night before so I can’t rule out that I am missing an intrusion point somewhere else Everytime I think I have this leak beat it rears it’s ugly head again.

First thing I am going to do is build my own “drip tray” at the bottom of the fridge to see what I can collect and redirect outside of the unit.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote