Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I like the old style paper white Kindle. I can't read long on the Ipad or any of the newer brilliant screen devices. Check out the paper white screen type readers. I did and have never looked back.
You raise an interesting ancillary question - if you go digital, what device. I don't know enough about the various options, but suggest this would be a great poll: What digital reading device do you prefer?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #22

As far as book swapping, just about every campground we have been too has a reading library where you can borrow or place used books. I bought the DW the Kindle Fire and she thinks it is the best ever. We still buy books and donate but the majority of our reading is online. I have the Microsoft Surface with the Kindle App on here and the DW also has the IPad with the Reader app on their as well. Plenty of reading material wherever we go. I have finished all of WEB Griffins books in the hardcover edition and am now going through all of Tom Clancy's books from the local library. Keeps me busy when I am not doing anything else. Like a lot of others, I had rather sit by the campfire with a good book and a cold brew and visit with my neighbors, unless it is football season. Then it depends on who's playing! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
You raise an interesting ancillary question - if you go digital, what device. I don't know enough about the various options, but suggest this would be a great poll: What digital reading device do you prefer?
Because I love the white paper black print form as close to a book as possible my pick is the entry level Kindle.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #24

Because there are so many eReaders out there, thought it'd be interesting to know your preference! Added an eREADER poll ~ so weigh-in.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #25

Whether you are a fan of books or eReaders, any recommendations? I started a thread to share reading lists.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #26

Wow, have I been having fun (and saving tons of money) getting all my eBooks through the library at no cost ... even new releases where I can put a "hold" on the book. Check-out OVERDRIVE, it works in conjunction with your library. I use the KINDLE app as my reader (on my computer, iPad, iPhone and Kindle) and not only does it sync a single book on all these platforms, but it is who I return the book through. It took a while for me to figure-out the steps but now I find the book (library) and either check it out or put a hold on it, download it ~ they give a couple of options and I use KINDLE, then return it (for me, via managing my Kindle content in Amazon) ... but once you've got the routine down, very easy. I get notifications when a book is available and also after I return a book, I also was able to join a bunch more libraries off my local library card - thus expanding the number of books I could access. Love to hear what others think about this. I'll also note this in one of the APP threads.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #27

I have the older paperwhite Kindle. It is not hard on the eyes like an iPad screen and it can be read in direct sunlight too.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #28

Although I still love holding/smelling a nice new book, I HATE to turn on the lights in order to read a heavy library book in bed that when I turn a page, crumbs or other things drop onto my face! SO ... since I traveled a lot for work and we now do lots of camping, I morphed to the eBook world and even got my DH converted! We have KINDLES in a 'family account' and share KindleUnlimited ~ on-the-road we can acquire reading material (to include checking-out ebooks from OverDrive accounts with 3 libraries - more on that in 2nd post), we can read in the middle of the night without waking anyone else up, and most of all - I can adjust the font size. At home, we now read in the evenings. If you haven't considered an eBook as an alternative to hauling a bag of reading materials, check into it!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #29

eBooks and libraries

My local library membership now supports eBooks through a variety of providers to accommodate any eBook medium. I learned by talking to my librarian that the more libraries I belong to, the more eBooks I will have access to AND even if the libraries belong to the same consortium, the more I belong to - the greater my chance of getting the book I may have 'on hold' (apparently each library purchases eBooks and their local members pop higher on the list than members of other libraries in that group). SO the lesson-learned is get library cards and use them to check-out your eBooks (and audibles) in the format you desire! My DH and I are Kindle PaperWhite owners, we have an Amazon Family Account with KindleUnlimited, and our preferred eBook provider is OverDrive. We hope this information helps you expand your reading options.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #30

I've also gone to all e-books. I have the Kindle for PC app on all my computers. I also have an older style Kindle (I like it's more compact size; it fits better in my purse) with a cover that has a built in light for when I'm away from the house. I have my 32" TV patched into my computer so I can read my books from it when laying in bed; I have the screen and text reversed so the screen is black and the text is white and have the brightness on the app turned all the way down. I use a wireless mouse to scroll the pages.

Unlike many people, I am not fond of the feel and aroma of dead tree (paper) books nor their bulk and weight. I miss reading from them no more than I miss a toothache.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #31

The laundry rooms are usually where we see them.

Not a fan of any of the e-readers. I don't have a problem with the technology, but being an IT person and spending every work-day in front of a keyboard and screen I prefer the look and feel of a real book as a way to disconnect from things. Plus, I don't really worry about the book wandering off if I happen to forget it sitting on the picnic bench or in the chair under the awning. And while I do read a newsfeed on my phone I still like the experience of a real paper over breakfast in the morning. The DW feels the same so we actually get two different morning papers - no fighting allowed at the breakfast table...
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote