Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

Lesson Learned: Flexible Hose Protector vs. Hose Elbow

The Camco 22703 Flexible Hose Protector that comes with their water filter should NOT be attached to the side of the RV. It will bend over time and water will leak from it. It should only be used at the faucet. Instead one should use the Camco 22505 90 Degree Hose Elbow on the side of the RV instead. Lesson learned.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #2

When I bought my kit from Amazon, it came with the brass 90 degree, fresh water hose, flex hose and regulator. Never had to worry about any of this stuff with my pop-up! So I have it this way..

from TT: elbow, flex, filter, hose then regulator.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
When I bought my kit from Amazon, it came with the brass 90 degree, fresh water hose, flex hose and regulator. Never had to worry about any of this stuff with my pop-up! So I have it this way..

Exactly how I have it as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
The Camco 22703 Flexible Hose Protector that comes with their water filter should NOT be attached to the side of the RV. It will bend over time and water will leak from it. It should only be used at the faucet. Instead one should use the Camco 22505 90 Degree Hose Elbow on the side of the RV instead. Lesson learned.
Bad architecture on Jayco's part puts my city water inlet just above the water heater so when I use the 90 degree elbow and water heater on gas it melts part of the filter. So, I used the Camco hose protector and it melted part of the hose protector and part of the filter. I now use two hose protectors connected together in order to get the filter far enough away from the heat of the water heater when on gas. But I hear what you are saying...not the best solution.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:

That's how mine is set up as well. Works for me! No kinked hoses or leaks anywhere.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #6

I attach the regulator, flex hose and filter at the CG faucet then use a 90 at the TT. I'm I the only one that doesn't trust putting any weight on the fresh water connection?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I attach the regulator, flex hose and filter at the CG faucet then use a 90 at the TT. I'm I the only one that doesn't trust putting any weight on the fresh water connection?
I noticed the connection on the trailer flexing and will switch to putting the filter at the source also.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Nope, not the only one...

From the TT. . . 90 degree connector - white hose - filter...

I always make sure the filter is placed directly onto the water source. Why not run filtered water through my hose instead of camp water.. And just as Iraq stated, I don't want to add any more weight to the poorly designed water inlet attached to my TT..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:

I tried it like that the first time. But it seemed like the pressure decreased. I guess do to the fact it goes through the regulator then the filter at the beginning of the setup. Seems like my pressure increased a little moving the filter closer to the TT. That's just me though. Others may have a different process but this just worked better for my situation.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

I got back and forth on whether to put the regulator before or after the filter?

I've heard that the regulator should go before water enters the filter as it's possible for really high pressure to damage the filter.

I've also heard to put the regulator after the filter because a.) keeps the regulator clean and b.) the filter can decrease pressure, so by putting the filter after the regulator, you end up with less water pressure in your Camper.

Thoughts?

buddybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Nope - this is what I do too. I can just envision the connection snapping off.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Until today, I didn't worry about weight on my city water connection.

Guess I'll be changing my ways and attaching 'stuff' to the CG faucet and only have the 90* with hose at the trailer. That will do until/if I mod my water system to keep the weight off the trailer connection.

That's one of the reasons I like this site: Learning things like this probably prevented me world of grief one day.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybar View Post
I got back and forth on whether to put the regulator before or after the filter?

I've heard that the regulator should go before water enters the filter as it's possible for really high pressure to damage the filter.

I've also heard to put the regulator after the filter because a.) keeps the regulator clean and b.) the filter can decrease pressure, so by putting the filter after the regulator, you end up with less water pressure in your Camper.

Thoughts?

I would never think that you
Have to keep the regulator "clean". I prefer regulator attached right at water source
Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

I can't imagine it's a ton of weight. It's 3 ft from the ground. But if you're concerned, just add a 3ft. extension hose after the brass 90 and ...voila! That should fix the weight issue.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
I can't imagine it's a ton of weight. It's 3 ft from the ground. But if you're concerned, just add a 3ft. extension hose after the brass 90 and ...voila! That should fix the weight issue.
That's kind of what I was thinking. That little blue filter can't weigh that much more than the hose, even full of water. Besides, it doesn't flex hardly at all with my setup, the filter rests directly against the side of the trailer preventing the elbow from pulling on the city water connection very much.

Although, I never did consider this to be a potential problem, I will at least think about it as a consideration. I would be more likely to rig the hose around the rear bumper one way or another to take the weight off the elbow and the CW connection.

The reason I place my filter as close to the rig as possible is to minimize the "rubbery hose" taste you can get. Even though it's a drinking water hose, I think it still imparts a plastic flavor into the water (I've had a strong plastic flavor before, but I can't prove it wasn't from the pex in my trailer, or if it was water that had been sitting in the hose for a while or what), especially when it's heated up from sitting in the sun all day. I also try to get my hose in the shade under the trailer as much as possible.

But even that doesn't matter because we drink bottled water anyway. We refill one of those 5 gal water cooler bottles for a buck and it lasts us all weekend.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I would never think that you
Have to keep the regulator "clean". I prefer regulator attached right at water source
Yeah, that part wasn't as much of a consideration. It was more of a water pressure thing.

Say you want your pressure to be 50psi, so you have a regulator for 50psi.

So the water comes out of the source at 75psi, goes through your regulator so it comes out at the 50psi you want... but then goes through the water filter, which then reduces pressure slightly more, so it's actually 40 psi going into the camper.

Where as if you put the filter before the regulator, you would be more likely to ensure that your pressure going into the camper is where you want it, which would be at whatever level your regulator is.

The numbers themselves don't matter as much as the concept. Honestly, it's not a huge deal, but just one of those things I overthink every time I'm setting up...

buddybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #17

Quote:
X2

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybar View Post
Yeah, that part wasn't as much of a consideration. It was more of a water pressure thing.

Say you want your pressure to be 50psi, so you have a regulator for 50psi.

So the water comes out of the source at 75psi, goes through your regulator so it comes out at the 50psi you want... but then goes through the water filter, which then reduces pressure slightly more, so it's actually 40 psi going into the camper.

Where as if you put the filter before the regulator, you would be more likely to ensure that your pressure going into the camper is where you want it, which would be at whatever level your regulator is.

The numbers themselves don't matter as much as the concept. Honestly, it's not a huge deal, but just one of those things I overthink every time I'm setting up...

Is there a risk of too much pressure going through the water filter?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
Is there a risk of too much pressure going through the water filter?
If you're talking about the standard blue ones you can find just about anywhere, I doubt it. If there's that much pressure, I would expect the hose to burst first.

My neighbor got curious and cut one open. He said it's just filled with carbon, nothing fancy or complicated, just a canister filled with carbon.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #20

From Camco: https://youtu.be/qT_srS1_a_0
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote