Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Lessons learned on the road

When we're on the road I always keep a list of items that we need to buy, replace, things we need to change or do differently on our next trip ... lessons from on the road.

We're winding down our weeklong maiden voyage in our motor home at Bottomless Lakes State Park in New Mexico and are now at our last stop in the Texas Hill Country. It's been a relaxing vacation, albeit a wet one.

These are a few of the items on our list ...

* Remember that even quick-dri towels do not dry quickly in damp wet weather.

* Replace broom and dustpan with lightweight rechargeable stick vac. Will do a better job of completely removing pup hair, as opposed to just relocating it.

* Pack plenty of paper towels and leave cloth dish towels at home. See above note relating to dry towels.

* Buy TRULY waterproof rain jackets (self-explanatory. Lol)

* Always take more bottled water and small trash bags than you think you may need.

* When staying at a State Park for days, on arrival always fill fresh water tank completely in the event Park water supply fails (learned this the hard way)

* While at camp, remove grippy spongy shelf liner from upper cabinets. Being able to slide containers forward to remove from overhead cabinets eliminates repetitive need for step stool in order to lift items out. Important sanity saver for a vertically challenged (5') camper like me.

We were impressed that our list wasn't much longer! Lol.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

Nice list.

If you want a good vac for pet hair try one of the Dyson sticks (or one of the close competitors). We love the one for ours and one battery charge is enough to clean the entire rig.

Add one, for rainy days put something like a picnic table cloth on the bed so the dog's wet fur doesn't soak the bed covers.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

When driving with a newly toilet trained 2 year old, when they say they have to go, they mean it.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Nice list.

If you want a good vac for pet hair try one of the Dyson sticks (or one of the close competitors). We love the one for ours and one battery charge is enough to clean the entire rig.

Add one, for rainy days put something like a picnic table cloth on the bed so the dog's wet fur doesn't soak the bed covers.
The Dysons are wonderful, aren't they? We have the stick vac for home but I wanted a smaller, less pricey one to keep in our RV (we're not full-timers).

Would you believe our pup has a raincoat? It originally belonged to our greyhound who is no longer with us. But it fits our chunky little mutt also. The leopard snood was also a hand me down. Lol

I see you travel with a sheepdog. How fun!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4322.jpg  
Save

Save
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
When driving with a newly toilet trained 2 year old, when they say they have to go, they mean it.
So very true!!!!!
Save

Save
Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Even a Dyson can't keep up with the hair my Shepherd loses!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #7
Site Team

A couple more.
Invest in a dog rain coat. Nothing worse than a wet dog after a walk. Also a supply of old towels for drying. Keep all the leashes, poop bags, a headlamp for night walks in a central location. Of course a personal rain coat for the walker. I even have a pair of duck shoes for the monsoons.

Take a rotessire chicken with you when you leave home. You can make several meals, sandwiches with it easily while traveling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #8

Yep we love our Sheepie.

Have to get a raincoat for her. So far have been lucky and not needed one. Luck will run out soon enough

I have a pair of 'winter' Crocs for walking the dog. Same as regular Crocs but no holes in them. Easy to slip on.

I second headlamps. Started using one a long time ago when tent camping. Now I use it for everything. Great for under sink plumbing work and getting the trailer ready to go in the dark as well as walking the dog. FWIW, any brand works well, even the cheap Coleman ones at Walmart.

Before we went full time wife would cook meals ahead of time and then freeze or put in refer. We would buy the 'bag' salads as needed. Made for quick and easy meals. KFC chicken buckets were good for that too.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Yep we love our Sheepie.

Have to get a raincoat for her. So far have been lucky and not needed one. Luck will run out soon enough

I have a pair of 'winter' Crocs for walking the dog. Same as regular Crocs but no holes in them. Easy to slip on.

I second headlamps. Started using one a long time ago when tent camping. Now I use it for everything. Great for under sink plumbing work and getting the trailer ready to go in the dark as well as walking the dog. FWIW, any brand works well, even the cheap Coleman ones at Walmart.

Before we went full time wife would cook meals ahead of time and then freeze or put in refer. We would buy the 'bag' salads as needed. Made for quick and easy meals. KFC chicken buckets were good for that too.
Headlamp options are plentiful. Get the ones that use AAA batteries. Much less expensive to change batteries.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Our youngest daughter is also 2. We have plastic sheets on every bed in the trailer including ours. Nothing better than when she proudly comes in to our bed to tell us that she is dry in the morning and then the flood gates open.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

My wife and I use the "OurGroceries" app on our phones. If one of us goes shopping without the other, that person always has the list. One list is simply trailer supplies. Some items we've put on the list are just things to remember from home next trip. Scrolling through the crossed off items is handy when packing. Very useful app.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
My wife and I use the "OurGroceries" app on our phones. If one of us goes shopping without the other, that person always has the list. One list is simply trailer supplies. Some items we've put on the list are just things to remember from home next trip. Scrolling through the crossed off items is handy when packing. Very useful app.
What a great idea! A shared app would really be helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Save

Save
Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

We use white boards in our S&B house and our 'bounce house' (haven't a good name for our TT yet). We use them primarily for groceries, but it's easy to use them for other 'to do' items etc.

Before we leave home/camp to get groceries, we take a cell phone photo of the white board. The advantages are it's free and works where we don't have cell service (all last summer as camp hosts).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote