Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #1

leveling question

Here goes. My tt is stored at a ocean campground. Sandy soil. I do not have a vehicle to tow or move it with. I have 3 slides. A large living area slide and 2 bunk house slides. The bunk house slides are across from each other. Thus, I have 2 slides on one side. When the campground pulls the tt to the site, and sits it. The sites are pretty level but not great. I do as the owners manual says and level as best I can, put the stabilizers down and extend the slides. Sometimes I am ok, other times not. Front to back leveling is no problem, side to side , however is. In order to level side to side I need to raise the tires and place wood, or leveling blocks under the tires. How can I accomplish that? I saw a 12 ton round cylinder jack, that should lift it. Where would I place the Jack? On, the frame, or on the axle? I believe the owners manual says something about the axle for changing a tire. If it is unravel, it makes sleeping in the bunks difficult. Any help reciappagreatly appreciated.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #2

How much does the TT weight in total? I don't think a 12ton jack is required, a jack half the weight of the TT should be sufficient as by lifting it, you will be shifting weight to the other side/wheels.

Lift from the axle if you want to put something under the wheel, otherwise you'll have to deal with the suspension extending (thus you will need to lift it way higher to get the wheels off the ground)

As a safety measure I would ensure that in front and behind the wheels, there is something snug under the frame that will hold the TT in case the jack fails!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

I would start with the campground. It is much easier to level with the unit hooked to the TV so you can pull up on boards if needed to level side to side. It should not be that much trouble for them to do that when they pull the unit to a particular site. They can always place a level on the back bumper to determine if level or not. You are probably paying them enough money for storage and camping that they would be more than happy to do that at set up. At least it is worth a shot.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

You should place the jack directly under the spring plate on the side of the axle you want to raise. NEVER put the jack out in the middle of the axle, as you will probably bend it and cause misalignment of the wheels. And make sure that all other wheels are securely chocked before raising that wheel off the ground. But the previous posts asking the CG to level it for you is the best way, if possible.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
You should place the jack directly under the spring plate on the side of the axle you want to raise. NEVER put the jack out in the middle of the axle, as you will probably bend it and cause misalignment of the wheels. And make sure that all other wheels are securely chocked before raising that wheel off the ground. But the previous boltsosts asking the CG to level it for you is the best way, if possible.
I called my dealer, and we all know what good most dealers advice is worth, and he said to Jack it up on the main frame. The owners manual, also says to change a tire, to place the Jack on the main frame, near the tire. Now, I am more confused than ever! As for the spring plate, are you talking about the plate that holds the spring to the axle with the 2 U-bolts? There is one on each axle on both sides, right? I haven't attempted either yet due to the conflicting answers.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

The 23B owners manual says jack from the frame rail, not the axles as well. My axles are the Dexter Tor-Flex so there isn't a spring plate and I assume there is a risk of denting or deforming the O.D. of the axle if one was to place a jack under it.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #7

My previous TT had double slides, both on the same side. From my experience, once the trailer showed level I would need to raise the slide side 1-1.5", so once the slides were open the weight would bring the trailer to level. We did this before dropping the trailer, the key is to establish level first with slide in.
I always used a couple of 2x12 planks, much easier to back over than the plastic blocks. I never tried to use the the electric stabilizer jacks to raise it, just to sure it up once level.
Hope this help!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #8

has anyone here ever jacked their TT up to change a tire? If so how did you jack it up?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #9

Krackeer - yes, I am refering to the plates on each end of each axle that use u-bolts to hold the springs to the axles. Being a mechanic by trade, I have jacked up many a car under the spring plates, and it does no damage to the axle. Same for a trailer, as you are not putting any pressure on the axle itself. By jacking the spring plate, all the pressure is on the spring, and by extension, the frame to which the spring is attached.

IMHO, manufacturers are mainly covering themselves by telling you to jack only the frame itself. They don't want to take the chance that a careless person might put the jack under the axle tube and bend it, and then blame the manufacturer. My frame rails are 22 inches off the ground, and it would be nearly impossible to find a jack that high, and it wouldn't be safe on the roadside, anyway.

If your suspension has no conventional spring plates, then that is a different story.

As for changing a tire, on the road, I use a TrailerAid, but that only works if the axle with the bad tire doesn't drop significantly when the good tire is raised via the TrailerAid.

Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
has anyone here ever jacked their TT up to change a tire? If so how did you jack it up?
Yes. Frame rails only. Right where the spring mount to the rails. How about mounting a level that the campground can view when putting in your site? Accurate level might be worth the investment.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
If you have two axle's the easiest way to lift is by driving the other wheel up on leveling blocks. Note that an inflated tire is larger than one with no air, make sure that there are a couple inches of clearance under the old tire.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Site Team

There is another active thread titled "changing a tire" that covers this also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote