Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #1

Arrow Lifetime Roof Coating Options

I want to have a once-and-done roof coating applied to my Greyhawk 29MV.
I've been looking at two 'lifetime guaranteed' options:

FlexArmor https://rvroof.com/
RV Armor https://rv-armor.com/rv-armor/

Both options are a bit expensive.
Has anyone here had a negative experience with either of these?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

Henry's Tropicool. Home depot.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
Imo...Flex Armor is the way to go. Did extensive research....they are the best. We love our lifetime rv roof from Flex Armor!
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

Flex Armor would be what I'd go with. Check with Ed on the forum. He has had his for a number of years and sings their praises!
Old 02-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Henry's Tropicool. Home depot.
I think I will go with the Henry 887 as well. I already used it for my skylight which had spider web cracks in it and the Henry 887 worked great (2 coats). I can feel that the heat doesn't come through it like it did prior to the coating and it saved me from replacing the skylight when I really didn't have the time to do so.

Cavie, do you remember how much (how many gallons) you needed for your RV roof? I am thinking about getting two 4.75 gal buckets and double coating the roof. Although my roof is still looking good, just that I wanted to do the coating prior to installing some solar panels.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I think I will go with the Henry 887 as well. I already used it for my skylight which had spider web cracks in it and the Henry 887 worked great (2 coats). I can feel that the heat doesn't come through it like it did prior to the coating and it saved me from replacing the skylight when I really didn't have the time to do so.

Cavie, do you remember how much (how many gallons) you needed for your RV roof? I am thinking about getting two 4.75 gal buckets and double coating the roof. Although my roof is still looking good, just that I wanted to do the coating prior to installing some solar panels.
Call Henrys and talk to them. I did. They recommended the Tropicool Product. One 4.5 gal bucket will do your C twice. I did my 32' Bunkhouse with 3 slides twice with 4.5 gal. 2 buckets is way too much.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanks Cavie, I will give them a call when I get closer to ready to do this. Happy to hear that one big bucket will coat the roof with two coats, that is my plan, two coats.

For others considering a lifetime roof, consider that most RV roof's regardless of composition will last 20 years (if taken care of) so consider 15 years and a one-time coating should also last 20 years (if taken care of) so say on the safe side you could get 15 years with the roof from the factory, then 15 years from a coating, 30 years which most of us will not be rv'ing in a 30 year old RV but if so, simply apply another coating. That is my plan for now anyway. ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Flex Armor would be what I'd go with. Check with Ed on the forum. He has had his for a number of years and sings their praises!
Only way to go. Ours is 2 years old this month . Lifetime P/L warranty. You do have to get it done in one of thier authorized dealers shop. We had ours done near Dallas
No more inspecting & caulking/tapeing
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I want to have a once-and-done roof coating applied to my Greyhawk 29MV.

FlexArmor https://rvroof.com/

FlexArmor one and done.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #10

I had my roof sprayed by www.rvroof.com in early 2015 after the original rubber roof membrane started to fail after 5 1/2 years service. Forget the 10-12 year rubber roof warranty - totally worthless. And the rubber roof was maintained during this period exactly per the manufacturer's recommendations.

My FlexArmor roof was installed in Madison, MS. Since that time I have had zero issues with it. I do have it washed twice a year to keep it nice and white. Dawn and a soft brush is all it takes and zero caulking to worry about.

The FlexArmor coating is 3/16" thick and is tough stuff. The past October we were on the end of a dying hurricane at my home base with high winds, etc. The entire town was without power for a little over a week. Thank goodness for an Onan. The night before the storm hit us I pulled my slides in and went to stay with a friend. During the night an oak limb fell and hit my roof. Yes it was a glancing blow right on the edge of the roof and the only damage was a bit of bark residue which wiped off with a damp rag. The two pictures show the oak limb. Compare the limb diameter to the 4"x4" level block under the left landing gear. The limb fell from approx 40'. The discoloration on the roof is visible immediately to the left of the a/c shroud right on the edge. No dent, no cracks, nothing but bark residue. The dark area behind this is just dirt which has since been washed off. Zero damage to the roof. I can only imagine how much damage would have resulted from a rubber roof.

When I buy another rig the rubber roof will only last as long as it takes to get it sprayed with FlexArmor. Yes, I will coat a brand new roof. Worrying about the rubber and caulking is not something I will ever do again.
Attached Thumbnails
20201029_082250.jpg   20201030_075107.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:23 PM   #11

Is it worth it to spend $5k on a Flex Armor lifetime roof when most probably the RV will have fallen apart under it in 10 years or so?

Sorry for the pessimism but, these things are not built like the used to be.

I just got a $5000 quote for my 2023 Jayco 263RBS. I have an install scheduled with Highway 26 RV for first week in February 2024.

This will give me some more time to figure out if my trailer is worth investing that kind of coin.
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollymonster View Post
Is it worth it to spend $5k on a Flex Armor lifetime roof when most probably the RV will have fallen apart under it in 10 years or so?

I just got a $5000 quote for my 2023 Jayco 263RBS. I have an install scheduled with Highway 26 RV for first week in February 2024.

This will give me some more time to figure out if my trailer is worth investing that kind of coin.

Something else to think about is no maintenance. I pressure wash once or twice a year.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #13

Before I traded it, I had used Henry's on my 35' 5th wheel. Bought the 4.5 gallon bucket, did 2 coats and still have about a gallon left. Once you open the bucket, use it pretty quickly, like in a few days. It will start getting clumps in it. I found that it definitely kept the 5th wheel cooler but also, made it quieter. Something else to keep in mind, I coated my roof, bought new Recpro recliners and got a wild hair two weeks later and traded it. Before you make that kind of investment into your present rig, make absolutely sure you are going to keep it.
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynebmsg View Post
Before I traded it, I had used Henry's on my 35' 5th wheel. Bought the 4.5 gallon bucket, did 2 coats and still have about a gallon left. Once you open the bucket, use it pretty quickly, like in a few days. It will start getting clumps in it. I found that it definitely kept the 5th wheel cooler but also, made it quieter. Something else to keep in mind, I coated my roof, bought new Recpro recliners and got a wild hair two weeks later and traded it. Before you make that kind of investment into your present rig, make absolutely sure you are going to keep it.
Good advice.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollymonster View Post

I asked myself the same question. Then I realized that the vast majority of damage to RVs seems to be from water intrusion of some sort...
Add to that the fact that I HATE LADDERS and I definitely do not want to go up on the roof... Ever.

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 10-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
I asked myself the same question. Then I realized that the vast majority of damage to RVs seems to be from water intrusion of some sort...
Add to that the fact that I HATE LADDERS and I definitely do not want to go up on the roof... Ever.

You guys are about to talk me into it. I just hope my trailer holds up long enough to get my money's worth.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #17

Rhino Lining

I was parked next to a guy in the Black Hills who was having roof issues. He was waiting to get his unit in for a roof repair. I had never heard of this, but he told me the up and coming new fix for roofs was Rhino Lining, the same stuff they spray pickup beds with. He was quoted $8K for his roof, and if I remember right he had 36 feet of roof to do. I have never heard of this, has anyone else? He was anxiously awaiting to get back home to have it done. A fellow across from both of us said it is the perfect fix, he had been considering doing his roof also. So apparently it is being done.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I was parked next to a guy in the Black Hills who was having roof issues. He was waiting to get his unit in for a roof repair. I had never heard of this, but he told me the up and coming new fix for roofs was Rhino Lining, the same stuff they spray pickup beds with. He was quoted $8K for his roof, and if I remember right he had 36 feet of roof to do. I have never heard of this, has anyone else? He was anxiously awaiting to get back home to have it done. A fellow across from both of us said it is the perfect fix, he had been considering doing his roof also. So apparently it is being done.
Doesn't Rhino lining have a rough surface?
Might difficult to clean...

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 10-05-2023, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Flex Armor is supposed to be more flexible than Rhino Lining. I was quoted $220 a linear foot.

Flex Armor installers remove all existing vents, seals, etc. before they spray. There is a lot of prep involved. Lifetime guaranty.

It is a 2.5 day process.

These folks have a good video. There are others out there.
https://www.rollingretreats.com/flexarmor-video
Old 10-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Doesn't Rhino lining have a rough surface?
Might difficult to clean...

I have no idea on the specifics, I imagine they can leave the rough stuff out. But I have no idea. He said they were going to use white.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote