Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #41

>I use Awning Hook-Ups (http://www.rvawninglights.com/) that slide into the awning tube slot.>

I already have those. The problem being is that I am concerned about rolling them up inside my electric awning. That sounds risky. Even if I could reach it to plug it in when open, which I can't. My awning doesn't come down far enough to reach it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
>I use Awning Hook-Ups (http://www.rvawninglights.com/) that slide into the awning tube slot.>

I already have those. The problem being is that I am concerned about rolling them up inside my electric awning. That sounds risky. Even if I could reach it to plug it in when open, which I can't. My awning doesn't come down far enough to reach it.

Tom
Step ladder?
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Step ladder?
Don't carry one. Maybe I should (Hmmm... where to carry the darn thing)

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I have a rope light permanently installed to my roller tube. I roll the awning with it in place. I installed it about 7 years ago. Has not caused a problem or hurt the awning yet.
drfife,

I have the awning lights installed in the slot on the tube of my 18' awning just as you do. I love the amount of light they give off, and it goes without saying that I keep them installed permanently and roll them up in the awning. However, the issue I have is, when I bring the awning in, I have to physically help the awning start rolling in (with my hands, turn the tube) while my wife is pushing the 'awning in' button. After the first foot or so of awning has wrapped around the tube, the motor rolls it in without my help. I am assuming that I have to do this because of the extra 'bump' (i.e. awning lights) that the awning has to wrap around (more resistance). I have a full battery when attempting this. There are no issues with it rolling out.

Have you had this issue? I've adjusted the awning angle to both extremes to see if it changes the amount of resistance, but it doesn't help.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
drfife,

....There are no issues with it rolling out....However, the issue I have is, when I bring the awning in, I have to physically help the awning start rolling in (with my hands, turn the tube) while my wife is pushing the 'awning in' button...

...Have you had this issue? ....
Mine's a manual awning.

I've had no problems getting it to roll up.

Hope you find a viable solution.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #46

On our last camper we had the nice "smoke" globes, but they were in the TT when it was stolen, now we are without lights. I was going to replace them right away, but after two trips without them now I'm not so sure. I like the darker feeling of just the camp fire. But I'm just not sure yet.

Our last TT had these Telco tabs that went into the groove on the awning and you just rolled them up in the awning. When you unrolled the awning you just put the hooks on the globes through the groceries loop, very easy and fast. My new awning is much higher, and rolls in and out line a flat pitch, but then the slope is manually adjustable, so there might be an extra couple of minutes to install lights on this one.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
The new led rope type lights are popular now. They come with a remote control and you can program them to change colors and other nifty things. I've seen them on the forest river forum and a few others. Not sure on the price though.
Saw a motorhome at the SP I was at this past weekend had the rope lights around his trailer site on the ground. Looked cool. :hihi:

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
I have the exact same.cat! Hah!

I want one!!!!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
Don't carry one. Maybe I should (Hmmm... where to carry the darn thing)

Tom
We bought a small 3 ft step ladder ( 3 steps) from Canadian Tire. It folds flat and stores behind our fold out sofa. Not tall enough to get on the roof but we can reach most everything else. Course we need it to fold up our tent ends etc on our 23j
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #50

Got mine around Christmas. Couple of strings of LED white and some tiny "clamps" from HF. I can put them up or down in a couple of minutes. I've strung them along the side edges of the awning but think I prefer to string them along the supports (kind of a watch your head warning - don't ask why I need this). Two strands of lights is almost the perfect length to go from ground, up the supports, along the long edge and back down the second set of supports to the ground. A 6' extension cord will reach the elec outlet just right.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #51

Okay so now I have 4 sets of lights! Since I have a power awning and as mentioned above with the retraction of the awning being frequent I decided that I wanted to simplify life. Here is what I came up with. 12V LED waterproof self adhesive light strip on a dimmer. On the end of the stip I installed a plug that self unplugs upon retraction of the awning so nothing to do except push the button. Sure I need to plug it back in when it extends again but being able to react at moments notice and not rehang anything made this a simple descision.

The other plus is that it is 12V with no extension cord so I can use them anywhere, LED low draw and adjustable in intensity. I went with warm white but I am thinking of adding a second color changing strip for when we need some change or I can always hang one of the other sets should we want. Nice having options.

I'll post some pics when I get it out of storage. Amazon supplied everything I needed for under $50.00 all in.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #52

Ok, obviously this thread has not been posted on in a while but I did not want to create a new thread. I just purchased the globe lights that hang from the awning. Link below

http://www.amazon.com/Polymer-Produc...globe+lighting

Does anyone have these lights and if so how do you like them and what would be the best bulb for lighting, energy and bugs?

Wanted to do the LED lighting but for some reason wife does not like it. Go figure.

Thanks in advance.
mossmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #53

I have those. We use the 40 watt bulb if i remember correctly.
The only things i don't like about them is storing them or removing them quickly because a storm is coming.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #54

Yeah I figured the taking down and storing would be the concern but I guess if the wife is happy than that's all that matters. Thanks for your reply
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #55

I have those. 40w bulbs and also use an outdoor dimmer switch to adjust as needed They work great. I also bought the cloth slide ins to hang the lights. One less thing to take down when in a hurry.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #56

Thanks for the input. I purchased the soft cloth awning straps as well. Do you leave those in or take them out before rolling up the awning? Are your 4G watt bulbs warm white, yellow,......etc. Also can you send me a link of the dimmer you have for them? Thanks ksignoles.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #57

Although they are tremendously popular, I've never cared for lights hanging from the awning. For my old trailer, I found a couple of solar lanterns with shepherds crook ground stakes. That trailer had a manual awning. I would pull the posts off the trailer sides and anchor them into the ground with a couple of landscape timber spikes, then pound in the crooks in front of the posts. The lanterns came with three different inserts: moose & bear; light houses; and stars. Found them at one of the box stores. The biggest problem was getting the stakes into the rock-hard ground in the middle of the summer. I'd generally tie them to the posts with twisty-ties to keep them in place.

My new Eagle has a power awning, so no side posts. My plan is to pick up a roll of the rope lights (either incandescent or LED) and anchor them to the side of the trailer (just below the awning) with the clear, adhesive mounting clips or strips. That way, I can have them on whether the awning is out or in. And I won't have to remove them for travel. Most are 12V with a 120V adapter. I'll probably just plug them into the outlet on the trailer side, but may try to wire them into the amber light (somehow). Should end up looking like the ones on the newer Jayco models.