Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Lippert electric braking system

How do you know when you have your brakes set properly on a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle with Lippert electric brakes? Should you be able to be going 3-5 miles per hour and stop the trailer with the automatic braking system on a Chevrolet 2500 diesel pick-up, or will it just slowly come to a stop? Any help you can give will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!
Ed Bratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I hope this helps a little...

Is this a new or used trailer? For new trailers, there is a brake break-in process in the trailer's manual.

I believe, too, that some brake controllers reduce the trailer braking at very low speeds for smoother stops.

After that, it becomes a troubleshooting issue: Are the trailer brakes getting voltage, is the trailer wiring to the brakes OK, is there an incompatibility with the truck's brake controller and the trailer, etc., etc., etc.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bratt View Post
How do you know when you have your brakes set properly on a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle with Lippert electric brakes? Should you be able to be going 3-5 miles per hour and stop the trailer with the automatic braking system on a Chevrolet 2500 diesel pick-up, or will it just slowly come to a stop? Any help you can give will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!
I'm not familiar with your truck, I'm sure someone is here

With the Fords, their is a test process that you go through to make sure your integrated brake controller is properly setup. Long story short, they have you increasing the trailer brake setting until your trailer 'locks up' the wheels when going 25 mph, and manually toggling the trailer brakes, then you back off that setting one notch. I have mine cranked up pretty high (9.5 out of 10)

You have to have some documentation on your brake controller in the owners manual for your truck. I am obviously assuming you have an integrated controller like most late model trucks. Good luck.. If you are going 3 to 5 mph and you whomp on the brakes - you will stop pretty much instantly and the trailer wheels will either lock up completely, or come real close. Hard to answer your question because obviously how fast you stop is dependent on a lot of factors we don't know... how hard are you braking, conditions of the road, controller setup.. You'll find the sweet spot but it takes some fiddling, and of course road testing.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote