Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Crabman;39607]
Quote:
[We went to our local dealer during the summer to browse campers. We really liked a Jayco hybrid but we didn't pull the trigger. Last month we drove 4 hours to the Pennsylvania RV show and came home with the same trailer we were interested at our local dealer. It was 5K less at the show. This is our first experience with an RV./QUOTE]

If you read the OP`s quote, they went to this dealer first, saw a Jayco hybrid but did not buy it. So it IS a Jayco dealer, and they are correct in assuming the dealer would service the unit without calling Jayco first. If it was not a Jayco dealer and they wished to have work done then a call to Jayco first would be in order IMO. They had no way of knowing that a Jayco dealer would deny them service.
I don't think anyone is saying they do not sell Jayco. THey might not have authorization from Jayco to work on any unit. And this could be easily solved if the OP calls Jayco.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #22

CampingG,
You misunderstand me. That was a paraphrase from the original post. I intend no offense and attempt to never misquote.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
CampingG,
You misunderstand me. That was a paraphrase from the original post. I intend no offense and attempt to never misquote.
Ok, gotcha. I thought you were saying that is what I meant by my post. NO worries!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #24

This sure is a heated topic. I posted this on another board and got pretty much the same responses. Some people saying the dealer is at fault, some saying the dealer is not responsible and that the RV industry is not like the auto industry.

At this point I understand all sides of the argument. It seems like the dealer doesn't have to be responsible to fix a warranteed unit if you didn't buy from them. I can understand that and I guess accept that since countless people on the other forum said the same thing. It's stupid but it is what it is. It should be changed though. This is our very first RV so I guess we were ignorant and just assumed the local Jayco dealer would fix it under warranty.

The thing that boggles my mind is that the local dealer knew we were interested in setting up a second vehicle as well as possible storage on their lot. Knowing this and they still refused to look at our problem? If you look under the camper you can see a few wires that are just dangling and I really believe these wires are what is giving us the false water tank readings. It's probably a 2 minute fix that requires a wire stripper and some wire nuts.

We did call Jayco today and are bringing it another local dealer in the next few days who is willing to repair under warranty. I guess I found our new service and supply shop.
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
Site Team

One thing I have learned is that if you are at all mechanically inclined it is easier to take care of the little things yourself then lugging it to the dealer, when you consider fuel, time spent and the time you are without your trailer. When I had a toilet valve leak I had two options, replace it myself which took about half an hour (Thetford sent me a new valve free) or tow the trailer 100 miles each way to the nearest dealer and wait for them to fix it. With the price of gas and tolls for me it was an easy choice. I did it myself. In two years of owning my Jayco it has never been back on a dealers lot.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
This sure is a heated topic. I posted this on another board and got pretty much the same responses. Some people saying the dealer is at fault, some saying the dealer is not responsible and that the RV industry is not like the auto industry.

At this point I understand all sides of the argument. It seems like the dealer doesn't have to be responsible to fix a warranteed unit if you didn't buy from them. I can understand that and I guess accept that since countless people on the other forum said the same thing. It's stupid but it is what it is. It should be changed though. This is our very first RV so I guess we were ignorant and just assumed the local Jayco dealer would fix it under warranty.

The thing that boggles my mind is that the local dealer knew we were interested in setting up a second vehicle as well as possible storage on their lot. Knowing this and they still refused to look at our problem? If you look under the camper you can see a few wires that are just dangling and I really believe these wires are what is giving us the false water tank readings. It's probably a 2 minute fix that requires a wire stripper and some wire nuts.

We did call Jayco today and are bringing it another local dealer in the next few days who is willing to repair under warranty. I guess I found our new service and supply shop.
So, did Jayco inform you that the first dealer was not authorized to repair units not bought from them?

In the future, call Jayco first.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #27

We are good at fixing things but since it's under warranty I think we'd rather bring it in. We just got the thing home just over a week ago, that's how new it is. lol

The camper is going in in the next few days and this shop is only 5 miles away. We really didn't have plans to use it until next spring anyway. Good thing we decided to test things out on a trip before the winter.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #28

I would have to talk to my Dad. He's the one that bought the camper and called Jayco today. My brother stopped by my house this afternoon to tell me about the other dealer willing to fix under warranty. I haven't had a chance to speak with my Dad but I did email him.

The dealer we bought from also said we need to have the roof inspected yearly to cover the warranty. I'm guessing the local dealer won't cover that either so I also told my Dad to inquire about that too.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #29

I have to imagine that there are requirements to be a Jayco dealer and I would think that one of those requirements would be to service warranty claims. My guess is they also have some kind of tiering on performance and it would impact their commission or discounts from Jayco.

I would think Warranty work would be fairly profitable as it brings in a steady revenue stream and keeps the employees busy.

Lot of thinking and guessing - but it would seem to make good business sense. Kind of like owning a franchise - there are certain things you must do or you loose the franchise.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I would have to talk to my Dad. He's the one that bought the camper and called Jayco today. My brother stopped by my house this afternoon to tell me about the other dealer willing to fix under warranty. I haven't had a chance to speak with my Dad but I did email him.

The dealer we bought from also said we need to have the roof inspected yearly to cover the warranty. I'm guessing the local dealer won't cover that either so I also told my Dad to inquire about that too.
Satisfying warranty conditions, such as inspecting the roof yearly, will not matter if the dealer is local or not. That is a Jayco warranty requirement.

Warranty work has specific exclusions. I urge you, or your dad, to make sure you read the fine print to avoid headache in case you have a much bigger warranty claim in the near future.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
I have to imagine that there are requirements to be a Jayco dealer and I would think that one of those requirements would be to service warranty claims.....snip
I tend to agree.

For decades Jayco has protected it's RV dealership's demographic location by not having another Jayco dealership two miles down the road, but the dealership would have to maintain Jayco's franchise and business relationship expectations (ie; addressing warranty service claims). Years ago I remember hearing that Jayco was known for it's support of their dealer network, which only a few RV manufactures "in-the-day" could say. This business model is similar "in part" to that of Harley Davidson with their dealer network.

I know for fact that here in Michigan a large national RV chain tried for years to get a Jayco franchise, they were always turned down (at least until the recent recession when the independents had to sell out, the large RV chain purchased the Jayco franchise(s)).

Outside of the Jayco dealership network Jayco also has authorized warranty service agreements with independent RV service centers, and I have one located about 25 miles west of my home (Jayco dealership 20 miles east). They follow the same protocol as the Jayco dealership in processing a warranty claim. One would have to contact Jayco directly to confirm the location of these approved service centers.

As stated in an earlier post, Jayco wants to know if a Jayco customer was denied warranty service at any of it's dealerships...., the mystery is what is Jayco doing with this information?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #32

Not sure that I totaly understand but I had a problem with the Dealer that I bought Trailer from called Jayco and they gave names of three other Dealers that I could take it to but they were all 100 miles farther away. I was told that if they sell Jayco and have a shop they will do warranty work on any Jayco if you bought it there or not.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #33

Call Jayco corp. and inform them they will deal with it for you
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #34

Can you imagine how many calls Jayco would get each day if every time someone wanted warranty work done they called them first before talking to a dealer. Good golly you would never be able to get through to jayco because all their lines would be tied up. I always go to an authorized dealer first. Then if they refuse service Jayco would get a call right then and there. Each to his own but I Hope jayco has some great incoming phone lines and orperators to handle all the suggested calls they will be getting.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #35

We are having the same issue with a dealer in GA. We didn't buy our unit from them and they really don't want to warranty it. We finally called Jayco and explained the situation, and the service manager called back twice since then to keep us up to date on repairs. Still haven't gotten it back, so we will see.
Hairy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #36

We called Jayco and they suggested another place. We brought it in and they wanted us to call Jayco again, just to confirm the warranty work. It all worked out in the end with no problems! The problem was a problem with the wiring which is what I originally suspected. The wire was cut too close to another part so they had to order a new part. No biggie, all went well and the camper was taken out the following week with working sensors.

We dropped it iff today for winterizing. See ya in the spring ol boy!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #37

I picked up my trailer today from the dealer I purchased it from. I had it in for warranty work. I was told that I could have my warranty work done at a Jayco dealer of my choosing closer to my home. The helpful service guy suggested that after choosing the dealer he would than set it up thereby avoiding any denial of service issues. This makes me think that there is more to this issue than we as customers might know.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #38

Here is my .02cents worth. Regardless of if a Jayco dealership is required to do warranty work or not, it's bad business to refuse the work based on where the unit was purchased. I for one, would never step foot on that dealers lot again and I would tell everyone with an RV that would listen about how I was treated. If there is an internal Jayco requirement that prevents a dealership from doing the work, then they should explain that situation to the customer.

PLM
AIM2PLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #39

Apparently the dealers even refuse to service what they sell. I have a 2010 Jayco Baja F14 pop up I bought in 2011 from Crain RV in Little Rock, and when I called today to bring it in for service, they said they don't sell or service pop ups any more.
tnholthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnholthoff View Post
Apparently the dealers even refuse to service what they sell. I have a 2010 Jayco Baja F14 pop up I bought in 2011 from Crain RV in Little Rock, and when I called today to bring it in for service, they said they don't sell or service pop ups any more.
Well, that sucks!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote