Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

Locking gas cap

Went to my friendly neighborhood auto parts store and bought a Stant 10510 locking gas cap for my 26xd that's on a Ford E-450 chassis. It doesn't have a tether but maybe I'll try to make one up. We'll see. My RV is parked in my yard so that helps a little. Seems like the latest thing is drilling holes in the bottom of the tank to drain it. Wow, things are getting very strange out there.. I had a further comment but deleted it....
Old 03-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #2

A locking gas cap will just make the thief try something else like a crowbar or a power drill, causing much more damage than the cost of the gas in the tank....in my opinion.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #3

I purchased a locking gas cap for my E450 based motorhome and had used it all of the time. Last year though during the artic freeze (vortex) here in Texas I was running a home generator and went to the RV to syphon some gas seeing how I recently had filled the tank on it. What I discovered is that no mater how small of a hose (tubing) I tried that I never could get the hose to the fuel level in order to syphon some gasoline and I repeatedly tried for at least an hour or two before I gave up. Point being, a locking gas cap on mine is not needed for theft prevention although it would be good for reducing the possibility of someone trying to pour sugar in my tank (which has never happened to me but I suppose could happen.).
Old 03-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I purchased a locking gas cap for my E450 based motorhome and had used it all of the time. Last year though during the artic freeze (vortex) here in Texas I was running a home generator and went to the RV to syphon some gas seeing how I recently had filled the tank on it. What I discovered is that no mater how small of a hose (tubing) I tried that I never could get the hose to the fuel level in order to syphon some gasoline and I repeatedly tried for at least an hour or two before I gave up. Point being, a locking gas cap on mine is not needed for theft prevention although it would be good for reducing the possibility of someone trying to pour sugar in my tank (which has never happened to me but I suppose could happen.).
Sugar - been there...some neighborhood kids were mad at us for letting their parents know of their bad behavior. Luckily DW noticed something wasn't right on the van before she started the engine.

And our son's 2002 Ranger was sitting in my mother's driveway for several weeks. Sure enough, someone drilled a hole in the tank & drained the darn thing. That was about 10 years ago. Nothings changed.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #5

Our toy hauler we made simple labels
That read waste water, black tank fill
And removed fuel labels They look
Factory if you don’t
Know rvS you wouldn’t know The
Difference. Just a small deterrent.
Along with locking gas cap
All our best central Florida
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote