Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #1

Locks on a 5th wheel front storage compartment???

I have a 5th wheel trailer. Like all 5th wheels, it has the front storage area intended primarily for batteries and a generator. There are no locks on this door. Can locks be put on this door? I don't mean "can you physically remove the latch and replace it with a lock"? I mean, "is there a legal reason or any other reason why I wouldn't want to add locks to this compartment"?

I do not have a generator. Does the answer change if I install a generator?
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

Yes and you can even get your locks keyed to your current key.. I just added a few locks to mine that didn't have them.

https://bauerproducts.com/product/bauer-ne-bluetooth/
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

[QUOTE=kirkelli;1008597]Yes and you can even get your locks keyed to your current key.. I just added a few locks to mine that didn't have them.

Yes, the latches "can" be changed to locks, but why do all RVs come from the factory with latches instead of locks? The same question for the propane doors.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #4

[QUOTE=cmikal;1008600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Yes and you can even get your locks keyed to your current key.. I just added a few locks to mine that didn't have them.

Yes, the latches "can" be changed to locks, but why do all RVs come from the factory with latches instead of locks? The same question for the propane doors.
Propane doors typically don't have locks due to safety.. If you have a propane leak and you are not around, you want ez access for anyone to shut the gas off. There are locks available for the propane tank strap if you are concerned with someone taking your tanks. And why do not all compartments have locks,, It's the factory's way of cutting corners to save money.. My front latch has three latches with the middle lockable. Anyone could still easily get in by the pulling the side latches..I moved to the center lock to one end and added another to the other end goto make it more secure.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

I just put locks on all my storage doors, all keyed alike to the entry door. Now everything on the trailer uses 1 key. Have very many spares if one gets lost. You get a new key with every lock. When ordering, you need to know the lock hole size, the length of the lock, and the key # of what you are wanting to key to, example, #205.
All the generic #751 locks are gone.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

Our front compartment came with a lock but we have no generator and I don’t know if that would require removing the lock. I was told it’s a DOT requirement that propane compartment must not be locked.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #7

Thank you

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The safety/DOT issues make sense. I'll probably add locks to the tanks but leave the door latches as they are. Since I don't have a generator or propane in the front, I'll probably add locks to all 3 latches.

I've also been thinking about changing the other factory locks to "something else" since the factory locks are common and have a master key that is probably easy to get. I'll get them all keyed alike when I change out the factory locks.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. The safety/DOT issues make sense. I'll probably add locks to the tanks but leave the door latches as they are. Since I don't have a generator or propane in the front, I'll probably add locks to all 3 latches.

I've also been thinking about changing the other factory locks to "something else" since the factory locks are common and have a master key that is probably easy to get. I'll get them all keyed alike when I change out the factory locks.

Thanks again.
We originally had 3 different keys for the 5th. I kept the kept the slam-hatch locks and bought a new entry door handset/lock and replacement locks for the battery and front storage with keys matching the slam-hatches from RVLocksandMore.com
Each new lock came with 2 keys so we wound up with a total of 8 matching keys for the 5th, plenty of spares. I think I spent about $75 on the project.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
I have a 5th wheel trailer. Like all 5th wheels, it has the front storage area intended primarily for batteries and a generator. There are no locks on this door. Can locks be put on this door? I don't mean "can you physically remove the latch and replace it with a lock"? I mean, "is there a legal reason or any other reason why I wouldn't want to add locks to this compartment"?

Our unit came gasoline gen prepped and the 2 batteries in the front compartment. But unlike others, our unit did come with locks on the front compartment. We now have a generator and 6 batteries.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks again.
On Front Compartment, i actually moved one of the manual latches to the center and added keyed locks to the ends. That way you can close and secure with manual latch then lock it up when you need to. Locking the two ends also keeps someone from unlatching and pulling up one end for access.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #11

I replaced the center lock on the front compartment with a barrel lock and the left the 2 corner with the factory tabs. I have tested trying to open from the corner with the middle lock secured and the only way to gain access from the corners is with a tool to pry the door open and if they are that determined a lock is not going to stop them. I also put a barrel lock on the 3rd Propane door since I use that for storage. I also replaces the top tab of the propane door with a barrel lock. I did this for when the unit is in storage. We have the tanks turned off when rolling down the road and when camping we only have the bottom door tab turned to keep door closed. It is not locked when the propane is in use.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #12

I would suggest changing all your keyed locks to the barrel type. It makes me feel much better now that I did.

If you have a large hatch like I do in My outdoor kitchen, the hatch is huge, it had 2 latches with a lock in the middle from the factory. What a joke, you could’ve open one of the end latches and just snapped the door in half or pull out items! So I put 2 barrel type locks on the end and moved one latch to the center.

Am I paranoid?, not after being robbed 3X’s!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:31 PM   #13

If onboard GEN installed, you do NOT want a lock access; maybe required to not have, re: Emergency shutdown? (I had an oil filter almost unscrew itself, installed by PO); Of all the posts/ ads re: "CH-751 key", etc I have read, I have NOT in 5yrs read where anyone actually had stuff stolen from a CH751 LOCKED COMPARTMENT, or Latched Only compartment?? BUT< I would also much prefer they steal something than destroy a door w/ a screwdriver/ prybar?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
If onboard GEN installed, you do NOT want a lock access; maybe required to not have, re: Emergency shutdown? (I had an oil filter almost unscrew itself, installed by PO); Of all the posts/ ads re: "CH-751 key", etc I have read, I have NOT in 5yrs read where anyone actually had stuff stolen from a CH751 LOCKED COMPARTMENT, or Latched Only compartment?? BUT< I would also much prefer they steal something than destroy a door w/ a screwdriver/ prybar?
CH751 keys are probably the most common key on the planet. The first time I saw one was in 1979 at the company where I worked. Many office file cabinets used those locks and continue to use them. If you have an office file cabinet key, you probably have access to the storage compartment of many RVs.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #15

I changed ours out, with Bauer keyed the same as my other locks. They are nice to keep the hatch secure.

h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #16

Quote:

Yes you can put a lock on it just remember that most people with your rv have the same key, just ask your neighbor to borrow his key. I replaced all mine with the round alarm key locks
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote