Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Logistics with newborn

We've had our 2015 264BHW for about 4 months, and we haven't taken it out yet because we also have a 4 month old baby. I know, prob not wise to have gotten the trailer at the same time as the baby, but hey, here we are. So I was thinking, we're going to have to stop every couple hours to feed the baby. It would be nice if there was a way to keep the camper cool while driving so we could just pull in to a truck stop and we could get in the trailer to feed the baby, other kids could relax, use the restroom etc. Any way to do this? I have an external generator but no way to mount it outside to be able to run. I know the older Baja models had an onboard Cummins Onan. Anyway to put one on this trailer? What about making a mount on the tongue, where the battery and LP tanks are?
Oobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Oobray,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby and trailer. Do not let the new baby keep you from camping. We took ours at about the same age and no problems. We didn't even have a trailer then, but just a tent. What kind of tow vehicle do you have? If a PU truck, you could just leave the generator in the bed of the truck. If it were me, I would simply start the generator and plug in the trailer when I stopped. I think it would be too much to leave it running the entire time...but not saying you couldn't. Start the AC and open the air dump valves on the AC so the cold air is not going through the ducts but dumping directly below the unit. This cools the area around the AC return very quickly. Let it blow for 5 minutes and then have your wife move from the truck to the trailer to feed and relax. I'm sure other will have other ideas. best of luck and happy camping.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Running the AC would be difficult while driving if possible. Not sure that is an option.

What about installing a Maxxair vent or similar and a fantastic fan. Leave a window cracked open and run the fan while driving. That should keep it comfortable at least.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

We've had our son out in the camper every chance we got since he was about 6 weeks old (he's 8 months this week). That's the beauty of having a camper, you can bring everything you need to care for your new little one! Don't wait, go as often and as soon as you can! The more you expose them to the camper, the more accustomed they will get with it, and the less they'll be disrupted by a "new" environment. Our son LOVES it. He gets all giggly and happy (it warms my heart greatly).

Anyway, to address your question about keeping the camper cool: I've thought about running a generator before, but have basically given up on the idea. If he needs to eat on the road, we stop and play "Chinese fire drill" and DW gets in the back and tends to his needs (because she won't tow, if she'd drive, I'd be back there feeding the boy).

If I were going to run the generator, I would bolt and weld a hitch receiver to the rear frame of the camper (for added capacity, DO NOT use one of the bumper-mounted jobs) and strap on the generator and run the cord to it from the shore power, it would only be about a 3-ft run.

That was when he was exclusively on a bottle. Now that he eats more solid foods and is taking less formula, we end up having to stop and get out to feed him. Granted we haven't done it in the heat of August yet, but the time before last when we were out we stopped at a truck stop and hopped in the trailer, and I opened up the bedroom windows and turned the bathroom vent fan on, and it created quite a nice breeze inside, even with the crappy little "fart fan" that Jayco installs (as opposed to something like a Fantastic fan). She fed the baby, and I made us lunch. 15 minutes at the truck stop, let the dog piddle and we were on our way again.

I would also consider stopping at a rest stop. There are bathrooms, picnic tables and often vending machines available. We used to do this all the time before we got our camper. Then you can sit and relax and eat for a little while, recharge all your "human batteries" and be on your way.

The one thing I'll say is that RVing with an infant has been REALLY EASY. WAY easier than I thought it would be. Just bring what you would use at home (within reason of course) and try to stick as close as you can to his/her routine. We've been doing it for almost 7 months, and have had great success.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

I think it is somewhat foolish to try and keep a travel trailer 100% operational during transit.
Too much has to be stowed safely and closed up.

We live with the cabin of the tow vehicle being all the space & amenities we have available while driving.

I don't recall going on particularly long trips (other than the grandparents) until my kids were school age. My youngest graduated college last year.

By the time our first was 4 months, we had afternoon outings down pat.

You guys face some fun and interesting issues trying to travel with that young a child. There was a recent thread about traveling with a toddler. Every one here was quite supportive and helpful. I'd expect more of the same for you.

The only advice I will give, is to take advantage of the roadside services instead of your trailer between overnights when you can properly set up.

Enjoy your new baby, camping and traveling!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

First 2 kids started at 7 days old, most recent and 3rd child started at about 14 days old. No issues. We stop for feeding as well about every 2 hours. Wife feeds in the truck, ac running, older 2 get out with me and run around. We try to time this with lunch, snacks, fuel etc to make things as efficient as possible. When we get to a destination, truck stays running with wife and baby, kids and I get things going, first thing hooked up (after level and chocked) is the electric and AC turned on in camper. Usually doesn't take long to cool off. Honestly I wouldn't sweat it. Could a generator be installed on the tongue or rear and hooked up accordingly, sure. Totally up to yall, but we've been fine doing what we do through 8 rigs and 3 kids.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

True story - good friends unexpectedly learned they were pregnant with their first and mentioned to their doctor that this probably ended their annual Christmas snow-camping (tent) trips. He asked why, since so long as the infant and mother are clean, warm, and fed ... no worries AND babies are adaptable and "don't break" so there was no reason to abandon their lifestyle just because they started a family. Sure enough, from 6 weeks on that baby was a snow camper, among other adventures!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

We started off tenting with a 1 year old. Yes there are challenges, but every sacrifice and inconvenience is worth it. You live, you learn. Taking her camping was the best thing we ever did. She's 30 now and recently married. Still loves to sleep in a tent and it's good too because so does her husband.

My message, take some educated guesses at what you need to do and go from there. but don't hesitate to go!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Don't ever let kids stop or slow down your camping. Both my kids started camping when they were six months old. They both still camp with us from time to time at ages 23 & 29.

We are on a two week road trip and my 29 year old flew to Nashville to meet us for the second leg of our trip

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

How far are you towing?

Like the others have mentioned, my son started camping with us at 8 weeks. The first trip we had to stop for breast feeding, but by 4 months feeding was accomplished by pumping and using a bottle -- by this time my wife simply road in the back with our son and fed from a bottle on the go.

This is such a short lived dilema, don't over think it. In another 6-8 months feeding will natually come from a bottle, pouch, jar etc. If that means for the first couple trips, if you can't feed while travling, just stop for 30-45 min and feed in the TV you don't need to crawl in the TT. If it for a quick bathroom stop, certainly you can do that w/o AC
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

We've camped since our daughter was 3 weeks old. We would stop every 2.5 hours for gas anyways, so she would just take our daughter out of the car seat and nurse her in the truck. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

It is impractical to cool down an entire 26 foot long camper while driving just so it is comfy to nurse for 15 or 20 minutes.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

Wow, I really didn't expect all the comments and suggestions. Thanks guys. We'll go in confidence and just see how it goes. My wife and I talked and just came to the conclusion it's going to take longer to get places. I still think it would be really nice to be able to stop and then step inside the trailer and "be home". Rather than try and nurse in a car in the parking lot of a rest stop. We'll see how it goes. Seems like each family figures out their way of doing things. You guys are probably right though in that it isn't practical to keep a generator running the whole trip.

TT: 2015 264BHW, axles flipped
Oobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #13

If I was still nursing, I'd be totally cool with hopping into the back seat of my already cooled down vehicle to nurse. As long as DH knew he was on baby duty after so I could use the restroom and stretch my legs ALL BY MTSELF for 5 minutes!

But! The beauty of the TT us that you have a clean, large space for quick diaper changes. The stops to nurse never annoyed me. It was trying to change a diaper on the backseat or in a public restroom that was the bad part.

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote