Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Longterm Residence

I am a part owner of a small composite manufacturing company in North Carolina. I have been able to travel down from Maryland once a month to meet all my/our current obligations. That is about to change.

We have some new contracts that will require me to spend at least three weeks a month in NC for the next three years. I do not plan on moving.

While per diem is in the contract, the thought of spending three weeks a month in a hotel or renting an apartment seems wasteful to us.

After a rudimentary cost benefit analysis, I started ted looking at RV's (and RV Parks in the area of NC I'll be working) as an alternative and the thought of owning rather than renting appeals to me. There are some great year round parks as well.

So. I looked at a 2015 Jayco 195RB today, a local sale. I liked the size (I'll be commuting alone and the trailer will stay in NC when I am not there) and the condition of the trailer - essentially new. I am 6'4" so I have to bend my head a bit but the lay out of the trailer is ideal.

I have a few general questions about the 195RB. I own a farm in Maryland so I don't have any questions about towing, TV's, etc., I do that a lot. Simple stuff but important:

- Winter living. Is the 195 suitable for the foothills of NC? Insulation additions, skirts, etc.
- Can the 195 handle nearly full time residency? Any tips? I have done some basic research so I am looking for Jayco specific tips. Can the 195 handle daily use for three years?
- What support items would you recommend?
- Is the 195 enough space? I have not owned an RV.

Thanks. I apologize for a rambling first post. The 195 I looked at today is in exceptional shape and the price, while a little high, is reasonable.

I appreciate any advice.

Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

we own a 195RB
ours has a covered bottom, i don't know where you are but i lived in a camper in the e. tennessee mts i i would would suggest you get some skirting that is well insulated to keep your pluming from freezing, get a water hose that you can plugin to keep from freezing. are you going to have full hook ups, if not a 195 's black water tank only holds 9 gallons, and the grey 15, so if you don't have full hook ups you are going to have to get a portable tank. the 195 is big enough for the DW and i to be comfortable for us. if you are staying by yourself i don;t think its a problem. i would also suggest getting a small elc. heater (propane is expensive.) I'll try to think of more

Old 03-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
we own a 195RB
ours has a covered bottom, i don't know where you are but i lived in a camper in the e. tennessee mts i i would would suggest you get some skirting that is well insulated to keep your pluming from freezing, get a water hose that you can plugin to keep from freezing. are you going to have full hook ups, if not a 195 's black water tank only holds 9 gallons, and the grey 15, so if you don't have full hook ups you are going to have to get a portable tank. the 195 is big enough for the DW and i to be comfortable for us. if you are staying by yourself i don;t think its a problem. i would also suggest getting a small elc. heater (propane is expensive.) I'll try to think of more
Thank you very much, RP53.

I'll be parking in Morganton, NC with full hook ups.

I copy the heated hose and electric heater- thank you.

How do I know if the one I am looking at has a covered bottom? Sounds stupid, I know, but I am a complete newbie with RVs.

Lastly, and I'll do a search, are there generic skirts or some designed for Jayco RV's?

Again, thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

I have seen some trailers with a heavy tarp like skirt that hangs around the perimeter of the trailer and is weighed down to prevent movement.

Not sure if you then heat that area or not

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Living in an RV has its ups and downs. Echoing what RP53 said, the only addition I would consider would be that if you are in a place with full hookups and sewer, then along with skirting, insulate your sewer line in the winter. Even though propane is expensive, consider contacting a local propane company and either renting or buying a large tank in the 100 - 120 lb capacity.

if it is just you staying alone, the 195 could be enough space. That will depend on you. Personally, I would like something a little larger; if for no other reason than to have the slightly larger refrigerator and bathroom. At the same time, once you get used to it, and you acclimate yourself to minimalist living, you can find living in an RV extremely convenient.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

Jmooney brought up a good point. Along with answering a question. When I lived in my 5er for a short time, I skirted it with cheap housing siding boards. Generally, you do not heat that space in the winter with a traditional heater unit. I used three 110 watt drop lights (front, middle and rear), and left them on all the time, checking on them periodically. They kept the underneath warm enough to prevent freezing. I lived in northern Nevada at the time. However, I have seen people do this same thing here in Alaska.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

I would think that trailer would be pretty minimal for what you plan to do. I would want at least a comfortable chair or sofa if I was going to live in it for as long as you plan. It appears that the SLX does not have an enclosed underbelly. I would look toward the Jay Flight series instead of the SLX. Just imagine yourself sitting at the dinette for a few hours every evening.

2012 321RLTS Eagle
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

I need to get more specific with the RV Park (closed today).

I appreciate all the advice so far. Again, this s new territory for me and doing research on the 195 got me to this site, which after reading a number of posts and doing some searches, seemed like a welcoming place.

Best.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Your right i just went and looked at mine, SLX195rb does not have an enclosed underbelly. My bad but seems like there is a lot of insulation pushed on it and it seems to be pretty thick, our feet have never been cold
Old 03-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #10

actually, if you convert the dinette to a bed any throw in some pillows it makes a fine couch. for the 2 of us to lounge on and watch TV