Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #1

Looked at new 2018

So we finally got to look at our dream rig. A 2018 precept 36t.

We love it but I have some reservations.

This is a new rig with 118 miles on the odometer.

First of all it was dirty. Found several screws laying around the floor , bootprints in the shower, sawdust and more. Is this normal? Why would Jayco send this out to a dealer so dirty?

Secondly there were some scratches on a couple of the upper cabinets. I was confused by this because there is nothing that I could imagine would cause this except poor handling during assembly line building. I know these are just superficial but it really bothers me that a $120k motorhome would suffer these things.

Also we found a few other issues like a non working swivel chair and a loose mirror.

The dealer said he would fix all these issues but it's concerning to me.

I made the dealer offer and we worked out a fair price. But now I'm concerned

What do you guys think about these issues?

Thank you so much for your feedback

Bill
bassprowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #2

We just drove our new 36T 4100 miles. Yes, it was dirty too. Real dirty with construction mess as yours. Nothing wrong with demanding they sell you a clean vehicle. Make them clean it good. Also, of your Mrs isn't 6' 4" tall, she won't be able to drive it. Have them pull up the seat and move it forward. This is a common issue with the Precepts. Have you taken it out with them and driven at hwy speeds like 70 mph? If not, do so and note the noise level. The main customer service guys told me that our noise level of 91 dB was not the norm. We'll be bringing it in to be looked at.
Operate EVERYTHING. That Sanicon only drains the forward tanks not the rear, so I never used it. When I went to run it before winterizing, it leaked its evil contents all over when I pulled it out of its little cubicle. Apparently, the normal vibration of the road had worn at each contact point of hose and compartment. Had holes for its entire length.
There will be stuff to fix, and you should work with your service department to fix them all. Just be thorough and find as many as you can. Apparently their quality control guy is missing. However you will learn a lot about your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kh7ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply.

I am also wondering about that quality control guy!
bassprowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Take the above advice about a test ride at freeway speeds. Lots of complaints about very bad handling to the point of not feeling safe driving, and also lots of road noise. Better to find out now before you plunk down all that money.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Take the above advice about a test ride at freeway speeds. Lots of complaints about very bad handling to the point of not feeling safe driving, and also lots of road noise. Better to find out now before you plunk down all that money.

The handling of my 2018 36T improved markedly after taking it to get aligned. The truck alignment guy said that every Ford F53 chassis off the line is misaligned. Next step for ours is to get better shocks than what came with it. Seems Jayco cut some costs with the 2018 models. No more Bilstein shocks and apparently more pressboard. Looked at a 2017 cabinets and they looked much nicer than our 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kh7ax is offline   Reply With Quote