Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Looking for a Portable Waste Tank

I am in the market for a tank, we have 2 week long trips coming up with only electric hookups. There seem to be 2 leaders out there.

Thetford
Barker

I am wanting the large 4 wheel tank. Any reviews good and bad I want to hear. How do they fill? How do the empty? How do they pull?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Barrelslime, We have the Thetford. 4 wheels, I think 38 gallon???. Pulls real nice, fills easy, and empties easy... almost. There is always about 1 gallon left over that I have to fuss with. Other than that one issue, it is fine for us as I only use it one week out of the year.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

Patrick I really like the Thetford. My concern is...correct me if I am wrong, It fills and emptys from the same spot. If so it seems there would be a little extra stuff in the extended hose when filling the tank. Do I make my self clear? I just dont want to pay $300 bucks for the thing and hate it.

I do like the rubber wheels. Does the handle hold up ok?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #4

We have used a 42 gallon Barker for three years with excellent results. It fills from the top and dumps via a blade valve on the side thereby draining the entire tank. If the dump station has a concrete border around the drain opening I empty the tank as much as possible with the waste hauler sitting outside the concrete border and with the discharge hose routed over the top of the concrete border. Then I balance the waste hauler on the concrete border and drain the remainder of the contents. The waste hauler's handle is metal with a loop at the end that fits over the ball on my tow vehicle--it tows easily. The wheels are plastic so they make a good bit of noise but they are sturdy--no problems in three years and we use it several times per year. I prefer the 42 gallon waste hauler because it will hold the entire contents of my tt's full gray water tank--no need to stop draining the gray water tank when it is not fully empty.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Thanks Sam
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
I use a grinder when empying my black water into the tote. Much easier to handle when cleaning up after dumping, ensures that everything leaves the tote (if you know what I mean). Also, if you have a pit toilet near you you can run a hose over to it and "dump" straight from your TT to the pit without moving anything. I find this the most convenient.
Happy dumping????? (no, that's just not right!!!)
Jim
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #7

I use the same 42gal Barker as TexasSam. As well have had great results.
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Manley View Post
I use a grinder when empying my black water into the tote.
Jim
Is that a hand grinder, coffee grinder of meat grider you use????????
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
Is that a hand grinder, coffee grinder of meat grider you use????????
120VAC poop grinder and pump
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #10

That sounds awsome.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #11

macerator .... claims to push poop uphill .... now that's science !
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
My concern is...correct me if I am wrong, It fills and emptys from the same spot. If so it seems there would be a little extra stuff in the extended hose when filling the tank.
Barrelslime, it does fill and empty from the same spot so there is a little extra stuff in the extended hose when filling the tank. We really only have used ours for transporting grey water so I wasn't too concerned with this. For extended stays you will have to dump the black water also so it would be best to flush the intake with some grey water before disconnecting and hauling. I was concerned with the handle, but after we towed it with the handle I must say it was pretty much trouble free and the handle easily fit over the hitch ball. You have to tow R E A L L Y slow according to the directions. We bought ours when Camping World had a real good sale on them so that minimized the pain of expense.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your responses. Im gonna get a Barker 42 gallon
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #14

Honeybucket

We also use the 42 gallon four wheel Barker portable tank, We like it very much works great and empties completely out.
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #15

hello and happy new year's to all.

I am about to invest in a Barker 42 gallon waste tank and from what i have read here and elsewhere, folks recommend replacing with wheels with air tires.

has anyone done this and any particular wheels they'd recommend?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Site Team

I`ve done this mod on a 22 gallon 2 wheel tote. I used 10" tires/wheels from Harborfreight, and a 5/8'' shaft from the hardware store with 2 holes drilled in the ends and cotterpins as retainers. Here`s a link showing the 4 wheel mod you are considering. I believe the front wheels came from another place and it is mentioned somewhere in the thread. Good luck. -Lee

http://www.trailerlife.com/forums/in...9.cfm#22966689
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #17

When it comes to Blue Boy's be sure and get one with a top fill and a side dump. If it is over 15 gal make sure it has front wheels as you don't want to lift any more than that to hook it to your hitch. Some times you have to run water in to rinse all the goodies out. That is what the water hose is for at the dump site.

When I dump a tank I really like a Blue Boy tote to take everything in the tank so I don't have to close the valve untill everything has stopped flowing. I use one twice a week here in Az.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
We have used a 42 gallon Barker for three years with excellent results. It fills from the top and dumps via a blade valve on the side thereby draining the entire tank.
The baker with the side dump valve is the only way to go... I have one other blue one that you have to lift up to dump.... that is real good for the back... and after I took a look at those gray ones.... NOT A CHANCE..I have the feeling they will become very problematic.

Just make sure what ever you get not to over fill (over flow) it
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #19

It seems the Barker one doesnt have an auto shut off valve as the Tote claims to have... how do you know when it is getting close to being full?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
It seems the Barker one doesnt have an auto shut off valve as the Tote claims to have... how do you know when it is getting close to being full?

You can buy a float that goes where the small opening/vent is. Or, you can just take off the small cap and watch with one hand on the valve.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote