Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Looking For A Power Source

I want to put the door step light on a separate circuit from the led awning lights in my 2014 33 RLDS, but I can't find a positive power source in my panel. It appears that Jayco installed all the switches breaking the negative side. I have installed a separate switch in the panel and have located the step light wire, but it is the negative side and I can't find a positive wire in the entire panel to power it.........Any suggestions.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

I put this LED dimmer on the awning light. I can now turn the awning light off & on with the remote and have only the step light on, or select the amount of dimming I want on it. I think it will accomplish what you are trying to do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Good luck.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
I want to put the door step light on a separate circuit from the led awning lights in my 2014 33 RLDS, but I can't find a positive power source in my panel. It appears that Jayco installed all the switches breaking the negative side. I have installed a separate switch in the panel and have located the step light wire, but it is the negative side and I can't find a positive wire in the entire panel to power it.........Any suggestions.
Polarity is irrelevant.

On the DC side, you've got ground and hot. Since the 1960's ground is connected to the -negative side of the battery and +positive is the hot side carried in wires.

On the AC side you've got white carrying neutral with black or red carrying hot.

Circuit breakers and fuses are ALWAYS on the hot side, between the power source and the load.

Now, which circuit are you trying to break into (DC or AC)?
And what is already present?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

The panel is all 12 volts DC and all wires are black. I have confirmed that all wiring in the panel is connected to the negative side of the battery and that all switches are installed in series with the negative wire. My question is, where can I pick up a positive wire to power the step light. If you don't have a 33 RLDS model you may not be able to answer this question.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
The panel is all 12 volts DC and all wires are black. I have confirmed that all wiring in the panel is connected to the negative side of the battery and that all switches are installed in series with the negative wire. My question is, where can I pick up a positive wire to power the step light. If you don't have a 33 RLDS model you may not be able to answer this question.
What you are describing is a positive ground system. I have one on my 1931 Model A.

I don't believe your trailer actually has a positive ground system though.

The wires may be black in the panel, and the may lead to the black wire on your battery.

But is the black wire on your battery connected to the positive side or the negative side of the battery?

One way to tell is to get a visual on the battery terminals without the cables connected. You then should be able to see a + or a - next to each post.

Why they would use a black cable on the positive side of the battery is beyond me. Although I have seen this done many times in vehicles and boats. So I never assume the color of the cables indicate anything. I look at the battery itself.
Good luck, hope you get it figured out.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
What you are describing is a positive ground system. I have one on my 1931 Model A.
...snip...
Why they would use a black cable on the positive side of the battery is beyond me. Although I have seen this done many times in vehicles and boats. So I never assume the color of the cables indicate anything. I look at the battery itself.
Good luck, hope you get it figured out.
I haven't seen a black wire on the battery -negative side on a trailer. It's usually white (mimicking AC neutral).

Until the 1990's we had red+ black- wires from the battery in cars and trucks. Now the wires are black and just the ends are color-coded.

The OP both figuratively and literally has his wires crossed. He needs to get out there with a good DVM (with the leads connected properly) and double check both 12VDC wiring systems.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote