Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

looking into getting the jayflight 267bhs.

I am looking into getting the jayflight 267bhs. I wonder if anybody can give me any recomendations or concerns before I jump into the purchase. Also it comes in the usual tin and wood or I can get it with the fiberglass sides. Its a big investment
And I want to make the right choice for me and my family. Thanks
scooter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Here are the specs on the Swift 267BHS:

FLOORPLAN 267BHS
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,315
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 670
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,185
Measurements
Exterior Length 29' 11"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 133"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Double Bed 48 x 76
Bunk Bed 30 x 76
Double Bunk Bed (Optional) 48 x 76
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 60
Wheel Base 231-1/2"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 44
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39
Other
Sleeping Capacity 7-9

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

What is your tow vehicle?
How many kids do you have?

We looked at the 267BHS and ended up in a 287BHBE. More bunk space, we can actually all sit at the dinette, and the bathroom entrance is very handy for the kids.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Although JayFlight & Swift lines do have a fiberglass option these days, IMO it's very inferior fiberglass to Eagle and Whitehawk lines. There is no gelcoat, it's not vacuumed bonded construction used in the other lines, and it hung on the same wood frame opposed to welded aluminum. I still like the JayFlight line and I have no issues with the aluminum siding, in fact we are likely purchasing a new one this weekend.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

We almost bought that trailer, it was one of our top 3 choices. In the end we went with the Flight 28BHBE because DW liked it better. (so did I, but I'm gonna continue to blame it on her!)

I wouldn't worry about it being aluminum. This design has been used successfully for A LONG time and is very durable. Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for fiberglass; if the trailer I wanted was fiberglass, then that's the one we would've gotten. Focus more on the other features of the trailer, especially the weights and the floorplan, and how you plan to use the unit. Get the salesperson OUT of the unit and get your entire family in and move around as if you were out using it. Open every door and cabinet inside and out. Once you get some bodies in there and start thinking and moving around (without the salesperson yapping in your ear) then you'll find out how the floorplan really works for your family.

Also keep in mind, it's a little like buying a house; there are some things you can change and some you can't. Know your talents and abilities so you can know what you can and can't change, or what issues you can and can't deal with.

Look very closely at your TV and its capacities. There are plenty of discussions in the towing forum about what your truck can REALLY tow. Read them and do some math before you get ready to pull the trigger. DO NOT listen only to the salesperson on this (check the facts yourself), many of them would tell you your Tacoma could pull a 5th wheel all day long if it meant they could sell the trailer.

A dealer or Jayco can provide you with an owner's manual to read over before you purchase, try to get one and read it. I agree, this is a very big purchase (I hesitate to use the term "investment" unless good family fun is what you would call a "return on investment") for most of us, and so I would recommend doing your homework. You should know AT LEAST as much as any salesperson about your top 3 units; if the salesperson tells you something you didn't already know, you should do more homework if for no other reason than to verify what he/she said.

Keep reading everything you can on this forum and others, they are a goldmine of information and experience from people who have been doing this for A LOT longer than you and I.

And GOOD LUCK!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

We purchased a 267bhs a little over a year ago. My only complaints are no ladder for the top bunk, no street side access to the front storage, and no hydraulic lifts on the master bed. I added the bed lifts. I am going to look at the area where the baggage door should be to see if it's framed in. If it is framed I may add one. I noticed tonight at the Louisville, KY RV show that the door is now there. There were a few things in the '14's that we would like to have like the LED lights and two extra lights over the sink area, but we're happy with ours and it will serve us well till we are ready for a fiver in a few years. I tow it with an '09 silverado CC. The truck handles the trailer well.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #7

We bought a This exact trailer back in November we actually went in looking dor a u shaped dinette but after looking at it, decided against the u shape. We have three boys two of which are almost 6' at 12&14 we ended up with the 2 full bunk option and love it so far. I bought a oxygenics shower head and an bathroom vent cover to install once the snow and ice melt! The led lights is an option not standard which Is something you might consider if boondocking! One thing to consider on fiberglass especially on vacuum bonded if anything happens and 1 area gets ruined the whole side has to be replaced, I found this out talking to a couple of service guys, and some that have had Thier campers go back to factory for delamination issues! Whatever you decide on just make sure you don't settle for something if you don't really like it now chances are you will regret it later!
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Jenoble99

The street side is framed for the baggage door. I called the door manufacturer and ordered the correct size. Around $60 total to add the door.

scooter31,
The 267BHS is a great trailer and I have no complaints. It is a great size for my family. A lot of good advice, and definitely recommend spending time with entire family inside w/o salesperson. If you feel it is too small on the lot, you will always wish you went bigger. I know I will need to upgrade to a larger size within the next several years.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksignoles View Post
Jenoble99

The street side is framed for the baggage door. I called the door manufacturer and ordered the correct size. Around $60 total to add the door.

scooter31,
The 267BHS is a great trailer and I have no complaints. It is a great size for my family. A lot of good advice, and definitely recommend spending time with entire family inside w/o salesperson. If you feel it is too small on the lot, you will always wish you went bigger. I know I will need to upgrade to a larger size within the next several years.
Great, thanks for the info. Have you installed it yet? Just wondering how much of a job it is?
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote