Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #21

sailor, what is the difference between the flow thru and the regular 507? I couldn't really find any answer on their website in the FAQ section.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #22

As I understand them, the original units needed to be removed to add air to the tire, then screwed back on. The new and improved ones don't have to be removed as they have an air inlet built into them.

On the surface that sounds better but I'm thinking as they're bigger/heavier the spinning force would flex the valve stems and potentially create a problem.

As I'm not planning to change over to metal valve stems I'm inclined to prefer the older non-flow thru's - just for that reason.

Plus I don't air my own tires (80#), I take it all (TV & RV) to my tire shop and let them do it.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #23
Site Team

I have the 510 system w/ 5 yr batteries. After 6 months or so of towing, I had one of my valve stems develop a leak from flexing. No problems, in fact the system notified me of a low pressure alarm.

I changed out all stems on all tires with metal stems and have not had any more problems in over 3 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #24

Gotcha, that makes sense. I don't plan on swapping rubber stems for metal on a brand new trailer. When its time to buy new tires perhaps I will upgrade then.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #25

"When its time to buy new tires perhaps I will upgrade then."

Precisely my thoughts as I just mounted new tires in Nov. Had I known then I would have had it done, now I'll just wait and see. Of course I'll do it sooner if necessary.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #26

X2 with what norty1 said. After a few hundred miles one of my tires developed a slow leak that turned out to be a leaking valve stem that I did not change to metal immediately. I think TST knows what they are talking about when they recommend metal stems. I'm just glad I was in a place to get it fixed vs out in the middle nowhere.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #27

My gamble: as long as it's just a slow leak (as detected/reported by the tmps system) then I can top it off with my port. compressor, then get it properly fixed once back home.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #28

When I brought my wheels into the local Tire Shop they said they couldn't find metal stems as per what folks are stating here. Frisby Tire on Merivale, for my local jayco folks. Maybe it's because they were looking for 90 degree stems specifically but I was told the sales rep for the valve company had dropped by coincidentally and his recommendation were for the ones now installed on my wheels. There were lots of straight metal stems to choose from apparently, not so for the 90 degree variety. These 90 degree stems do have a rubber seat where it mounts to the rim that flexes per se but with the 90 Degree stem what happens is the sensor/valve spins from centrifugal force where it's mounted (Seal and all) to rest/wedge into the knook/rounded corner of the spoke by tire and then doesn't move. It's a different stress on the rubber seal as compared to the stem sticking straight out I suppose. Jury is still out and I'm keeping a close eye on them but after 2300kms last camping season I don't see any issue yet other than a little rub mark where they make a little contact on the rim in that corner. Once they settle in that position, they don't move from the centrifugal force because they have no where to go. Now as for the Powermax Tires....So far so good but can't yet justify swapping them out. That's what the TPMS is for.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
That's what the TPMS is for.
I have the TPMS and when a tire blows, you know it at the same time as the TPMS.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #30

Well Uncle Sams IRS threw a monkey wrench on my ordering a TPMS set, at least until after tax day and our finances are resorted.

Anyone care to purchase a leg (or arm)?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #31

After several unplanned road trips without them I finally got around to ordering a set today. I ordered the TST 507 flow thru ones from Tweety's; Includes 4 sensors, $250 with free shipping.

TST 507RV 4 Sensor Tire Monitor System

My arm is now off the market.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #32

Good choice. I've been using mine for a couple of years. Like the flow through part and the battery changeability part.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #33

Tst

Well, I just took the plunge and got the TST 507RV. I called TST and they matched the lowest price that I could find on-line, and threw in free shipping, a three year warranty, and free programming. I decided against the flow through system as the batteries aren't user replaceable.

The system came in the mail on the third day after ordering.. now that's fast! Everything was already programmed, and all of the transmitters were pre-labeled for me. Great service!

Now, here is where I need some help...

The only two transmitters that I could get on (because of not enough room) were the two on the outside rear tires. Those two worked great, and immediately returned the same pressure as my gauge showed.

The Redhawk came with the braided stainless steel valve extenders in the rear, but, darn it, there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the transmitters.

Help!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #34
Site Team

This thread: Considering Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Page 2 - Jayco RV Owners Forum
has some of the same info you are discussing.
Gator roll-up bed cover