Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

loose wire from black tank

I have a 2018 154BH. Just noticed a white wire hanging off my black tank. I assume its the ground wire. It is connected to the black tank, but I cannot figure out where it is supposed to attach to the frame. I cant find any holes where the screw connecting it fell out. The gray tank looks good, the white wire there is connected to tank and frame ok.
I have attached a quick photo. Sorry its sideways (stupid smart phone).

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
loose wire.JPG  
mairew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

I would just attach it back to the frame with a self tapping screw, sand off the paint to bare metal under the screw and you should be good to go.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would just attach it back to the frame with a self tapping screw, sand off the paint to bare metal under the screw and you should be good to go.
Before I did that I would want to ensure where that wire came from. It might be a ground, it might be a hot wire for something else.

Have you looked closely at the silver nuts that protrude from the black tank? each one should have a wire on them. Those wires send the tank level signal to the control panel.

Also note if your TT, is prewired for a macerator, that wire could be for that option, and it just needs to be pulled up, and secured. If I recall correctly the macerator requires three wires, the other two are typically yellow and red, and without the option they too are not connected to anything.

You can contact Jayco with your vin number, they will send you the 12V electrical schematics. Jayco color codes every wire.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Have you looked closely at the silver nuts that protrude from the black tank? each one should have a wire on them. Those wires send the tank level signal to the control panel.

That was my first thought. I would at least test it to see if it's hot or not.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I don't think its prewired for a macerator. I am fairly sure its the ground because the gray tank has all the same wires and this white wire on the gray is attached to the gray tank and the frame. The other coloured wires from the black tank all run to a little red plastic thingie, but not the white. I just wonder where exactly it is supposed to attach to the frame.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairew View Post
Thanks guys. I don't think its prewired for a macerator. I am fairly sure its the ground because the gray tank has all the same wires and this white wire on the gray is attached to the gray tank and the frame. The other coloured wires from the black tank all run to a little red plastic thingie, but not the white. I just wonder where exactly it is supposed to attach to the frame.

You should be able to tell. All the wires have a crimped connection to them. So the old wire crimp should still be attached to the frame. You will want a new scotch-lock wire crimp to get a good connection.

I also applied liquid electrical tape over all connections to keep future corrosion out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairew View Post
I have a 2018 154BH. Just noticed a white wire hanging off my black tank. I assume its the ground wire. It is connected to the black tank, but I cannot figure out where it is supposed to attach to the frame. I cant find any holes where the screw connecting it fell out. The gray tank looks good, the white wire there is connected to tank and frame ok.
I have attached a quick photo. Sorry its sideways (stupid smart phone).

Thank you.
I have the same issue and my black tank sensor is not working. Haven't had the time or energy to look into it. Let me know what you find out. I would not just tuck it somewhere like others suggested. This is a ground wire and should be ground.
irenearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #8

The ground was never fastened at factory. Dealer attached it under warranty.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I like to apply a coat of Dielectric Grease to all the connection points after sanding to bare metal.