Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #21

No I use the on board winterize controls witch bye pass the water heater I drain it first
respearrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #22

When you turn the Valve to "winterize". It bypasses the water heater. The checkvalve will still have water in it. What most likely happened is it froze and it broke. We see this all the time in our shop.

Next time when your done winterizing and have pressure on the system (anitfreeze), Turn your valves to Normal or out of winterize to allow anitfreeze to backfeed to checkvalve. If you dont do this, the valve on water station can fail and or checkvalve can fail because of freezing.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #23

Thanks this is the best reply so far makes sense but with the water heater empty l an not sure how I can get antifreeze into this valve by switching back to normal but worth a try. Always worried about the other valves also. This is my 4th fifth wheel in 35 years never had a problem winterizing through the freshwater tank with manual bypass
Old 01-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #24

Its pretty rare but occasionally happens. In fact waterheaters can also crack even after draining them. Again its rare but if it happens to you it SUUUCKS!

This last spring our dealer replaced 2 water heaters that cracked after winterizing and replaced 5 valves on North points. Not sure how many check valves.

When you bypass the water heater, there is still water stuck bewteen the valve you turn, the water line to check valve and in the checkvalve. If I had a plumbing diagram it would help show this. Its actually a good idea to put some antifreeze in the water heater anyway. By cracking the bypass valve that is what your doing. Even with the plug out. Just get some antifreeze sitting in the bottom. There is a bit of water below the drain plug that sits there. If this freezes its possible it can crack the water heater. Rare but it can happen.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #25

Thanks again, I always take a piece of Tyson tubing and siphon the tank bottom getting as much as a gallon sometimes. This year I am going to disconnect my lines at to water heater when doing my low point draining to alow the trapped water to flow, thanks again I have a better understanding of my system now. PS do you know if there’s an water pressure regular built into the unit does not pressure does not seem any different with or without an external one n my hose have 75psi main line. Thanks again really appreciate your help
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
When you bypass the water heater, there is still water stuck bewteen the valve you turn, the water line to check valve and in the checkvalve.
This is why you blow out the lines first instead of just pumping in anti freeze.

I drain my water heater first, then blow out the lines, then pump in anti freeze once I have switch the valve to by pass. Even a little anti freeze in your water heater will remain for a long long time. You will smell it every time you use hot water.