Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGLaz View Post
A call to the dealer got them the "correct" info that the single solar panel would not keep the batteries mostly charged and the fridge working. To say they are a bit upset would be an understatement as this was a 72k class c.
Who told them otherwise? Again someone "not" doing their homework before the purchase.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #22

Residential refrigerator

Yep! As residential refrigerators become more common, we’re gonna see more generator use.

Quote:
Friends first off-grid trip with new 2021 camper with a solar panel last week. Less than two days and the battery was almost dead. And they are very used to not using the electric as that's what they had been doing for years. Well....they got an electric only fridge/freezer with the unit. They specifically asked if the solar panel on roof (which they paid extra for) would be enough to keep the batteries mostly charged with the fridge. Of course they were told yes. They expected to only have to run the generator a couple times over the nine days. Instead, they had to run it about 3-4 hours everyday. A call to the dealer got them the "correct" info that the single solar panel would not keep the batteries mostly charged and the fridge working. To say they are a bit upset would be an understatement as this was a 72k class c.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #23

The way I see it, it's either big battery bank feeding an inverter or propane gas absorption fridge. Trying to run a residential fridge off 1 or 2 little batteries is asking for frustration.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Well, I guess it's time for my yearly rant about the loud generators we have to listen to during my yearly trek to a state park on the St. Lawrence river.

Last year it was the guy next to me that fired up his contractor generator on the back side of his trailer--right in my face! This year there was this idiot that apparently didn't want to listen to his own generator so he used a long cord to run from his camper to the back of his truck...which was parked right across from my daughter's fire ring. There are five hours of generator time in this park and he used just about every one of them for the whole week. Other contractor generators were also running, this one just happened to be closest. Two calls to the park did nothing; apparently it's ok to make all the noise you want as long as it's during generator hours. I wasn't about to get into it with him; too many people carrying guns these days.

Can someone please tell me what these people are doing with all this electricity? Solar panels can easily keep your batteries charged and if you absolutely must have air conditioning then get an electric site. At the very least, pony up the cash and get a decent inverter type generator. If you're too stupid to brew coffee on a propane stove then at least run the damn thing for a half hour then shut it off.

Ok, I'm done!
Entertaining post...and firing up a generator in your face! Exhaust burns suck. Lol
Joking aside, I hear you. My TT is 100% solar powered (ac too). If you see a guy and his German shepherd in the boondocks, might be me : )
Go Solar
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #25

Wow, AC too? That’s amazing…. What’s your setup? Solar/batteries/ inverter?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
Entertaining post...and firing up a generator in your face! Exhaust burns suck. Lol
Joking aside, I hear you. My TT is 100% solar powered (ac too). If you see a guy and his German shepherd in the boondocks, might be me : )
Go Solar
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #26

We built a custom box which sits on our re-enforced bumper for our Honda generator. When we do have to use it, it’s surprisingly quiet.
Slyflye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #27

5 miles?

Even back when we were tent camping, generators drove me nuts! I am of the school that says why even leave the city if you must bring the noise with you?

Here in Nevada, many of our state parks now have electric hook ups. But even when there are no electric hook ups, I always thought there should be a rule..if there are hook ups available within say 5, 3, even 1 mile of the camp, no generators are allowed. People who want to get into the woods and hear the wind in the trees, little critters frolicking in the woods, and other sounds of nature should be able to do so. I might be wrong, but isn't that the point? People who need to watch their TV shows should..well, get hook ups..or stay home.

I know, judgemental. Confession, we usually stay where there are at least some hookups. Like some other people here, we didn't spend all the $$ to rough it on 12V battery for days at a time...but...if I were two weeks younger!!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerhard View Post
Wow, AC too? That’s amazing…. What’s your setup? Solar/batteries/ inverter?

Thanks!
It’s all here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...diy-80213.html
The system is under construction but it pencils out on paper (load calcs). And I’ll post solar performance. Thnx
Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Friends first off-grid trip with new 2021 camper with a solar panel last week. Less than two days and the battery was almost dead. And they are very used to not using the electric as that's what they had been doing for years. Well....they got an electric only fridge/freezer with the unit. They specifically asked if the solar panel on roof (which they paid extra for) would be enough to keep the batteries mostly charged with the fridge. Of course they were told yes. They expected to only have to run the generator a couple times over the nine days. Instead, they had to run it about 3-4 hours everyday. A call to the dealer got them the "correct" info that the single solar panel would not keep the batteries mostly charged and the fridge working. To say they are a bit upset would be an understatement as this was a 72k class c.
ONLY thing a single solar will keep charged is abattery in storage.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
ONLY thing a single solar will keep charged is abattery in storage.
A single panel, that’s a red flag and probably only 100 watts. Solar is great if designed right...load calcs are vital.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Too many places that have electricity to stay somewhere without it. Doesn't make sense to me. You buy this 40,50,60,120K dollar RV unit then go somewhere to camp for a week without electricity. I guess people will start hunting and skinning dinner with a musket and sharp stone. I didn't spend this much money and invest this much time and effort to live off of a couple 12V batteries. To me, it's Rockefeller or nothing.
BUT, Sometimes, It's FUN to do without. Yes, I enjoy boondocking once in awhile. I have 2 Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generators. I also enjoy flying airplanes like a 1939 Aeronca Champ with no electrical system.... Yep, Got to hand prop it too!
GOSH... NO ONE SEES ME ON THEIR ADSB!

By the way, we had a great time at Oshkosh. 1st Time I was there after 45 years of flying.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Who told them otherwise? Again someone "not" doing their homework before the purchase.
For many... a call to the dealer IS HOMEWORK!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Too many places that have electricity to stay somewhere without it. Doesn't make sense to me. You buy this 40,50,60,120K dollar RV unit then go somewhere to camp for a week without electricity. I guess people will start hunting and skinning dinner with a musket and sharp stone. I didn't spend this much money and invest this much time and effort to live off of a couple 12V batteries. To me, it's Rockefeller or nothing.
I won’t live off of a couple of 12V acid batteries, LiFePO4 lithium is the way to go! And camping means without full hookups IMHO. Anyway you’re not stranded when the grid goes down.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
BUT, Sometimes, It's FUN to do without. Yes, I enjoy boondocking once in awhile. I have 2 Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generators. I also enjoy flying airplanes like a 1939 Aeronca Champ with no electrical system.... Yep, Got to hand prop it too!
GOSH... NO ONE SEES ME ON THEIR ADSB!

By the way, we had a great time at Oshkosh. 1st Time I was there after 45 years of flying.
We don't need no stinkin' ADSB! LOL

Life doesn't get much simpler than a fine, Continental A-65 powered, Champ or Cub.

An OSH trip is definitely on my bucket list. Been flying (on and off) for 41 years and still haven't made the pilgrimage.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote