Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Loud water pump solution???

Travel Trailer 32 ft. Newbie. So loud water pumps kicks on every time you open any water source. Being a master repair plumber for 35 years, I cant help but feel adding a small, bladder / resorvoire tank will solve that problem AND give added volume at the few rare times more than one faucet is needed.

Fact, I'm not sure why not used all the time on this type setup? A tank will allow running of water WITHOUT the pump kicking on and off in sync with usage. Plus its nice having a reserve incase water pump or water source goes out.

Seeing as how it's under the sink, only a 1 gallon would fit, but if I remove the shelf, a 5 gallon would fit and that would be just dandy and wonderful. Pump would seldom kick on.

So why am I here if I am a know it all NEWBIE Well....not sure these little baby pumps can build ANY pressure at all? Hoping someone here would know They would need around 30 psi.
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Newbie!!!
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492

I would like to do this mod too because ours is super noisy too.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Team

My silencing mod, before and after:

This is a pic of my waterpump before I did the silencing mod. It is mounted directly to the wall that separates the kitchen from the front bedroom and is located under the sink. It vibrated through the wall, short cycled and was VERY LOUD. Even sitting at my friends campsite 50 feet away it sounded like a mini jack hammer or saw when DW rinsed dishes, etc.

I glued together the foam and luan plywood and mounted it to the floor. I went with the small accumulator tank instead of the large one to save space and mounted it beside the pump. The small tank is a big help in reducing short cycling, but of course not as good as the residential 2 gallon tank that others have used, room permitting. I also installed the flex lines on the pump and wrapped foam around pex pipe on the pressure side that contacts the floor or bulkheads. Much quieter! But not so quiet that I can`t hear it at all to detect a leak.

Update: I think a piece of carpet between the plywood and linoleum would make the pump even quieter, some others have added that with good results.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

I installed flexible lines as Crabman did. Also, my pump is in a very small compartment at the rear of the trailer between two chairs and I glued 1/2" Styrofoam board to the interior of that small compartment.

More noise comes from loose water lines banging into stuff when the pump is used. I had opened the Coroplast underbelly (for another reason) and traced the water lines. They are just pulled over and through the underside rather haphazardly; at many places they just lay on something (or each other). I tied the lines down and separated them from each other so that they can't bang into stuff and each other. In many places I used 1/2" split tube insulation to reduce vibration between the pipes and other objects.

My water pump no longer makes obnoxious noises.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

A computer mouse pad under the pump also helps to silence it.. DONT over tighten the screws holding it down just snug them...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

I went with a 2 gallon potable water contact approved, bladder lined expansion tank with my unit. The pump runs for about 30 seconds to fill upon need then shuts down for longer. Water delivery is more consistent as well.
As for the pump silence I agree with all the above solutions in that dampening the contact with both pump and pipes against rigid structures significantly helps. Another easy mod is pipe insualtion as cushion and wrapping the pump with some insulation. I cut a piece from one of my kids foam floors to put under the rubber footing already provided at build.

My pump in the basement already so fairly quiet while in the living area.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #7

Our pump was mounted to an exterior wall and the noise echoed through the whole unit. I relocated it to the floor with a mouse pad between the pump and floor. This helped but still wasn't quiet enough. My next step was to put flexible lines between the pump and solid water lines. This helped tremendously. You can only hear the pump now if you are standing near the cabinet where it is mounted and there is no other ambient noise. I thought about a tank as well, but just didn't have the room for it without losing a lot of cabinet space.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote