Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Low point drain

New to this. When leaving, unhooked the water and the turned the one valve I see for low point drain, but I get no water coming out.
Also, there is a low point drain valve sticker on the back near the black and grey water tanks but cannot see a valve. I see tubes but no valves. How do I drain the hot water tank and the lines?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

The hot water heater probably has a drain plug on it near the bottom of the tank.
The low point drain you see is probably the low point drain for the fresh water tank you can fill up if you don't have water at the camp site.
The drains for the grey water and black water, are the low point for those tanks. There are probably two handles you pull one for black and one for grey water - those are like gate valves. be sure your hooked up to a dump station or portable tank before you pull those handles if the tanks are full.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
snip........Also, there is a low point drain valve sticker on the back near the black and grey water tanks but cannot see a valve. I see tubes but no valves. How do I drain the hot water tank and the lines?
Check inside the TT above the area where the drain tubes are visible from the outside. You may have to open a drawer or a cabinet but you should see two valves that can be opened to drain water out of the hot/cold water lines for when you winterize the TT.

You don't necessarily have to drain the water lines or hot water heater every time prior to departing a campground. Draining the fresh water tank is on a case by case basis, depends on how the remaining water weight influences towing characteristics. If your WDH was set up based on a loaded TT with empty tanks, the added water weight may effect your TT's tongue weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #4

Why do you want to drain everything ?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

Boubou - not sure why you need to drain the entire unit after camping. As previously mentioned, the low point drains are there to drain the system for winterizing or for long storage. IMHO, the only reason for draining the hot water tank after camping would be to prevent unpleasant odors from occurring from some CG well water, once the tank has cooled. We have very good well water, and simply drain the HW tank when home, and refill from our well. Same with the FW tank, which get refilled with fresh well water just before the next trip.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Ok, I just don't have to worry about any of it then and not drain anything but FW tank if used
thanks for the help
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote