Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Low-Point Drain on 31FK

I picked up my new2me (it's a 2010) MH a week ago Saturday. This is my first ever RV and I have been sucking up info everywhere I can...I have been living on this and a couple of other forums, and can't wait to take her on her maiden voyage. I am sure that will start the real training class.

One thing so far that has me stumped. On the street side there is a nozzle/valve sticking out that says lower-point drain, and during the delivery the tech told me what it was for. Problem is, as I have been exploring the MG more, I found two knobs in a curb-side compartment that also say low-point drain. Can someone explain to me the relationship between them?

Thanks
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #2

On my 28BHS the low point drain on the road side is for the fresh water tank. The other two are the low point for hot and cold
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Robo.

Should there he something in the manual on how they are suppose to be used? I did a couple quick scans and couldn't find anything. During my PDI walk-thru the tech only told me about the valve on the street side and all I needed to do was open the drain to empty the fresh water tank. Where is the actual drain for these two? There are only valves in the compartment...do they go to the very same valve on the street side?

I am getting ready to dewinterize, and from other posts I was going to run water from all the faucets until the run clear (not pink). But should I open these valves first to get the majority of fluid out before running (and closing the valves too) fresh water through?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

On our trailer (and maybe it works this way on yours), you use the one closest to the fresh water tank to drain that. The other two will drain off water in the pipes.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #5

Usually when I open my low point drains nothing comes out. If you are using the antifreeze there really is no use for them. When I winterize and dewinterize (providing you have one) I di it all from the outdoor shower so I am not collecting everything into the tank. From there I goto the individual faucets. The lowpoint drains will come out of the bottom of your trailer right by the valves, you should see 2 hoses sticking out underneath. Also when taking it out of staorage mix 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons and fill the freshwater tank and water heater as well as the lines over night to disinfect. The next day drain the fresh water tank and I usually hook up to the city water and flush until I can no longer smell the bleach from the faucets.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
Prodigy Brakes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the info and link. I have just ran across the need for sanitizing in the last couple days and have been meaning to do some research on what it involves (prior to posting a question). Thanks for reading my mind Robo!

I do have a question on the sanitization. I have dabbled a little in homebrewing, and one of the worst things to do is use bleach to sanitize (even the slightest residue can ruin a batch). A favorite product we use is a food-grade sanitizer called Star-San (link below). Great part about it is you don't need to rinse afterward. Which is a big deal in brewing since you are even suspect of the rinse water (I use bottled water for the actual beer) of introducing new organisms that will compete with the yeast for the next 3-4 weeks.

Any thoughts on using this instead of bleach?

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/6...Sanitizer.html

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

It would probably work but a cup of bleach will treat 60 gallons. According to the label on the bottle your sanitizer takes .5 to 1oz per gallon, that gets a little pricey (32oz for 24.99) especially if you do it more than once a year.
Prodigy Brakes