Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #1

Low point drain valve MIA...

We apparently drove over an object in the road that ripped off about 3 feet of pex tube, what I call a plastic L-joint connector, and the low point drain valve itself. The drain valve had been attached by two screws on the inside wall of the driver side of the RV. It's a Melbourne, but that probably is irrelevant.
The RV parts shop where I spend money (in Albuquerque) does not sell a replica. But I spent $27 on parts that I can cobble together that might work. Essential to making it work would be what the clerk called "plumber's tape," which must be tight enough with small screws, to hold a vertical piece of pex to the interior wall of the RV. It's that latter step that concerns me.
Any ideas for replacing the missing parts -- which are somewhere between Albuquerque and Fredericksburg, Texas...?
Cheers.....and happy holidays....
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #2

"plumbers tape" is generally refereed to be the white teflon tape used to seal threaded plumbing connections. Being a drain, that doesnt appear to apply to your repair.

I wonder if the "clerk called plumber's tape" is the roll of metal strip material with holes used to support plumbing? And that "must be tight enough with small screws, to hold a vertical piece of pex to the interior wall of the RV." simply means just properly support what you are installing?

I think he is saying to use metal strip to support the drain line so it doesnt sag. Just make sure the drain is a downward slope from the tank to the valve.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

Different parts of the country seem to use various plumbing part terms. Here in southern Az, the galvanized, perforated roll of metal strapping tape is often called "plumber's tape". Some retail stores also stock a version of plastic or vinyl perforated strapping material also sometimes called "plumber's tape". Either version is basically used to secure piping to walls, floors, ceilings, rafters, floor joists, etc...The perforations are used for screws to attach the pipes to any surface that will accept a threaded fastener.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Better would be a conduit strap of the proper size for most likely 1/2” pex.
Attached Thumbnails
ABCD27A9-0CAF-4730-BF9D-3EFA423759FB.jpg