Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

LP Quick Connect to Coleman Stove

I know this question comes up in multiple threads here and on other Internet forums, and it seems the most frequent answer is to build your own. But does ANYONE make a simple adapter or hose that will allow us to hook up the RV's built-in LP quick connect (for the external grill) to a Coleman portable gas stove with its proprietary fitting? It's already been through the TT's regulator, so it *should* be able to connect directly to the Coleman stove without pressure issues, shouldn't it?

Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I know this question comes up in multiple threads here and on other Internet forums, and it seems the most frequent answer is to build your own. But does ANYONE make a simple adapter or hose that will allow us to hook up the RV's built-in LP quick connect (for the external grill) to a Coleman portable gas stove with its proprietary fitting? It's already been through the TT's regulator, so it *should* be able to connect directly to the Coleman stove without pressure issues, shouldn't it?

Thanks!

Roger
I believe the answer to your question is no.
At least that was my experience with the Coleman LXE grill. I don't know if your gas stove has the same fittings.
Making my LXE connection was very easy, order 3 parts off the internet.
Order a quick connect hose from Amazon.
Buy some gas teflon tape. Really it is about a 15 minute job once you get the parts.
I won't post the links because it seems you've already viewed them.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I believe the answer to your question is no.
At least that was my experience with the Coleman LXE grill. I don't know if your gas stove has the same fittings.
Making my LXE connection was very easy, order 3 parts off the internet.
Order a quick connect hose from Amazon.
Buy some gas teflon tape. Really it is about a 15 minute job once you get the parts.
I won't post the links because it seems you've already viewed them.
Thanks! I keep hoping there's an actual ready-made adapter. Don't really mind making it myself if I have to, just wanted to keep it simple if possible.

Roger

Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post

Thanks!

Roger
Part of the problem is exactly that the gas has already gone through the TT regulator. Coleman stoves expect unregulated (high pressure) supply, the regulated (low pressure) supply may be too low when it hits the Coleman to light or stay lit. There are some people here who have had good results with the regulated supply, but YMMV. That's probably why you can't find a specific hose for this. I imagine no gas fitter or commercial company would mix a QC (LP) fitting with a 1lb TA (HP) fitting on the same hose.

We run our Coleman RoadTrip direct from a T off at the tank, and will likely do the same with our new Gladiator stove.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Part of the problem is exactly that the gas has already gone through the TT regulator. Coleman stoves expect unregulated (high pressure) supply, the regulated (low pressure) supply may be too low when it hits the Coleman to light or stay lit. There are some people here who have had good results with the regulated supply, but YMMV. That's probably why you can't find a specific hose for this. I imagine no gas fitter or commercial company would mix a QC (LP) fitting with a 1lb TA (HP) fitting on the same hose.

We run our Coleman RoadTrip direct from a T off at the tank, and will likely do the same with our new Gladiator stove.
That's one approach, but I would like to use the outside quick connect that's factory-installed on my 23RLSW without adding an extra hose and hardware to the tanks.

I see people say what you're suggesting, but I believe you're talking about connecting to the Coleman regulator. Everything I read says there's no need for that, you can go from the TT's quick connect - which has already been through the TT's regulator - directly into the Coleman stove. You just need the hardware to match up.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

You tube it. Good info.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

The main problem with the connection is the design of the tube with that extra insert. The only way I could get the flow right was with an extension. It's very easy to do and most of the parts can be bought in a hardware store less the quick connect and hose.

Agree that You tube is a good resource to see a very ideas.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

Assuming your talking about the good 'ol two burner Coleman propane camp stove... The answer is NO. It cannot be tied into the gas lines on an RV.

I experimented with this last year. I had the bright idea to take the regulator off the connector tube and weld on a 1/4" male fitting in its place. I connected that to a hose and then to the manifold under my TT, beneath the fridge (no QD fittings.) When I lit the burner, the flame was so small that I could not see it at dusk - only feel it. Only then did I read that huge sticker on the lid of the stove, the one that says it runs on 20PSI - DOH!

So, what happened?- The regulator on the RV which attaches to your Propane tank reduces the pressure to 11"W.C. (or about .4 PSI.) This is the pressure that is required by all the appliances in the R.V. It cannot support the demand of the Coleman stove. The only appliances that can be "modified" to accept the QD fitting on an RV are ones which utilize the same pressure. Typically, this means an appliance which has the regulator that screws onto your propane tank.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

If the answer were YES, I would still suggest you go have one built. If there is a Propane company in your area, you would most likely be happier with a custom made hose.

I had a 15' hose made locally. If I could do it over, I would have made it longer...

The last LP gas pigtail that failed, I took to a different company, it was a hose manufacturer. I paid $4 for a much higher quality hose than original equipment or I could have purchased online.

I don't know I would drive across the state for one, but I would drive an hour to do it all over again.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socco1 View Post
Assuming your talking about the good 'ol two burner Coleman propane camp stove... The answer is NO. It cannot be tied into the gas lines on an RV.
Sorry, should have been more clear. Talking about the Coleman Roadtrip LXE Grill, as in this picture:

Roger

Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socco1 View Post

I experimented with this last year. I had the bright idea to take the regulator off the connector tube and weld on a 1/4" male fitting in its place. I connected that to a hose and then to the manifold under my TT, beneath the fridge (no QD fittings.) When I lit the burner, the flame was so small that I could not see it at dusk - only feel it. Only then did I read that huge sticker on the lid of the stove, the one that says it runs on 20PSI - DOH!

So, what happened?- The regulator on the RV which attaches to your Propane tank reduces the pressure to 11"W.C. (or about .4 PSI.) This is the pressure that is required by all the appliances in the R.V. It cannot support the demand of the Coleman stove. The only appliances that can be "modified" to accept the QD fitting on an RV are ones which utilize the same pressure. Typically, this means an appliance which has the regulator that screws onto your propane tank.
And that is exactly why you can't buy an off-the-shelf hose for this. No licensed gas fitter is going to mix low pressure and high pressure fittings on a single hose. No vendor would risk selling such a hose commercially. Maybe you can find someone who will do it for you, and maybe you can do it yourself, but I sure wouldn't trust a home-made propane hose. I have exactly the same grill (well mine is red), and prefer it T'd off the main tanks which also lets me locate it away from the trailer and not under the awning canopy.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #12

For the Coleman LXE, you simply take two vise grips and remove the regulator. Then purchase some fittings. The stove then goes from low pressure to low pressure and the quick connect hose is low pressure too. I have done this set up and the LXE works just fine. Been using it for three years this way. I actually bought another regulator so I can either use the TT's quick connect gas, or spin on the OEM regulator and use the little green bottle when I want to - when I'm at home and want to grill in the back yard.
We use the LXE as a stove ( to make coffee or soup or fry eggs), as a grill (to grill chops, steaks, burgers) and as a griddle (to make hash browns, pancakes, etc). Very versatile.

Here are links to the exact parts that you need:
Quote:
Here is the youtube video for how to make the coleman lxe connection to an rv low pressure quick connect:
http://youtu.be/cq9yZ6y-H2s

And Here are some links for the parts needed:
Tejas smokers: they are familiar with this modification. When I talked to the rep on the phone, he asked if I had seen the youtube video, as he said several people have ordered these fittings to convert their coleman. parts 120ba (1/8 to 1/4 adapter) and x115b (1/4 elbow)
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm
Amazon: quick connect male fitting
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-Pr...gy_auto_text_y
Amazon quick connect 10 foot hose: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57282-Pr...t+propane+hose
And that should do it! Good luck.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
For the Coleman LXE, you simply take two vise grips and remove the regulator. Then purchase some fittings. The stove then goes from low pressure to low pressure and the quick connect hose is low pressure too. I have done this set up and the LXE works just fine. Been using it for three years this way. I actually bought another regulator so I can either use the TT's quick connect gas, or spin on the OEM regulator and use the little green bottle when I want to - when I'm at home and want to grill in the back yard.
We use the LXE as a stove ( to make coffee or soup or fry eggs), as a grill (to grill chops, steaks, burgers) and as a griddle (to make hash browns, pancakes, etc). Very versatile.

Here are links to the exact parts that you need:
Here is the youtube video for how to make the coleman lxe connection to an rv low pressure quick connect:
http://youtu.be/cq9yZ6y-H2s

And Here are some links for the parts needed:
Tejas smokers: they are familiar with this modification. When I talked to the rep on the phone, he asked if I had seen the youtube video, as he said several people have ordered these fittings to convert their coleman. parts 120ba (1/8 to 1/4 adapter) and x115b (1/4 elbow)
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm
Amazon: quick connect male fitting
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-Pr...gy_auto_text_y
Amazon quick connect 10 foot hose: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57282-Pr...t+propane+hose
And that should do it! Good luck.

I think the catalog numbers at the Tejas Smokers link may have changed, but I'm sure they still have the parts you need, which are specified above.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #14

Or just buy the propane adapter from Camping World that has the regulator and quick disconnect all in one. $16.00 on CC website.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Or just buy the propane adapter from Camping World that has the regulator and quick disconnect all in one. $16.00 on CC website.
Not sure exactly what is being referred to here, but I've never seen or heard of a stock adaptor that will work coming off the low-pressure quick connect and tie to a Coleman LXE, with its proprietary fittings.

If you want to come straight off the propane tanks sure, you can do that, but not off the low pressure line located near the rear of the travel trailer.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #16

this Propane Adapter Tee - Mr. Heater F273751 - Propane Accessories - Camping World

and this hose Stansport 10' Hose - Connects Appliance to Distribution Post - Walmart.com
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #17

There's been lots of input here, but I think some of it has missed the goal of my original question. Please let me re-state the issue:
  1. My new 23RLSW has an LP quick-connect fitting for an external grill, along with a grill mount on the side of the TT.
  2. I would like to hook up my Coleman LXE grill to that quick connect. The Coleman has its own regulator, which would not be needed in this scenario.
  3. I would like to find an adapter/hose for this purpose rather than make my own (which I can certainly do).
  4. Yes, I could run a tee and hose directly off the trailer's propane tanks, but that kinda defeats the whole concept of using the existing LOW pressure quick connect that Jayco has so nicely provided for me already.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!

Roger

Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #18

I'm not familiar with what Jayco provides, picture of their fitting and location?
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #19

As previously stated, I have NEVER seen anything stock that will work, this question has been asked for years on this and other camping forums and making your own is the only solution that I've ever found on any forum. If you do a search on Coleman LXE quick connect on this forum, or on RV net, you will see many discussions and a couple of ways to do it yourself. Coleman uses proprietary fittings that don't match up to any hoses. But you can buy a few adapters and use the Camco quick connect hose from Amazon (which has the correct fittings on each end to tie to your TT quick connect and to the adaptor you add to the LXE) that I linked to above and it will work fine. In other words, there are no modification you need to make to the hose itself.
Links in my above post will get you all the parts you need and the video will show you how to do it.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #20

I do not think you will find anything that will hook to the quick disconnect on your camper. Only "RV" type grills that do not have a regulator. Sorry. I too wish one could be made.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote