Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

Macerators?????

Looking for opinions on macerators from those that have them. My main 2 concerns are:

1. I've read some people saying that the hose they use always smells.

2. I have heard of some clogs, which sounds like a real mess to me.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #2

Love my Sanicon Macerator. No smelly hose and no clogs. Works like a charm and it's super easy and quick to dump. No mess for 3 years!

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...6782552&sr=8-2

I have the Flo Jet macerator that has bayonet lugs for connecting to my Black / Grey Tank drains. I don't use it often but bought it so I could dump at home into my sewer clean out that is about 40 feet from my driveway. I pump through a 3/4 inch garden hose. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I added alligator clips to the power leads and connect it to the battery when I need to use it. I do flush the hose out after I use it and the hose is dedicated for use with the macerator only....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Thanks, one of the comments I read was "no matter how many times I rinse it, the hose still smells" Of course I have no idea what kind of hose they are using and how well they are actually rinsing it.

I could also see using it at home, but is there a reason you don't use it all the time? I have some camp sites we go to that the hose is actually going uphill to the sewer, thought that would be a good place for one.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
Thanks, one of the comments I read was "no matter how many times I rinse it, the hose still smells" Of course I have no idea what kind of hose they are using and how well they are actually rinsing it.

I could also see using it at home, but is there a reason you don't use it all the time? I have some camp sites we go to that the hose is actually going uphill to the sewer, thought that would be a good place for one.
I have a set dump / tank flush routine I use when at a full hook up camp site. I just don't feel I get the same "Clean Tank" as I do when dumping with my standard sewer hose.

It could be me, set in my ways, and not wanting to change my dump routine that has worked so well for me for years but I simply don't feel like the tank gets dumped as efficiently with the macerator.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

I love my grinder!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...6782552&sr=8-2

I have the Flo Jet macerator that has bayonet lugs for connecting to my Black / Grey Tank drains. I don't use it often but bought it so I could dump at home into my sewer clean out that is about 40 feet from my driveway. I pump through a 3/4 inch garden hose. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I added alligator clips to the power leads and connect it to the battery when I need to use it. I do flush the hose out after I use it and the hose is dedicated for use with the macerator only....
Quote:

What could possibly go wrong with using your drinking water hose with the macerator? Hey, one less hose to lug around.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:

That was probably me that posted that. I disliked having it that I removed it, just like many on this forum has. I have a sewer dump at home and always thoroughly flush as I am never in a hurry and do it while unpacking and cleaning up. No matter how much the unit was flushed, it stunk. I first tried adding a ball valve between the box and hose and still had odor so I finally removed the hose and capped the box off and still had odor......that’s when I totally removed it as I never did have a reason to use it. Now there are many types and models of macerators and maybe a certain model has issues or it my be the way Jayco plumbed it, but many that I have read that had issues are other Seneca units like mine. I also never liked the idea of pressurized sewage.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I have a set dump / tank flush routine I use when at a full hook up camp site. I just don't feel I get the same "Clean Tank" as I do when dumping with my standard sewer hose.

It could be me, set in my ways, and not wanting to change my dump routine that has worked so well for me for years but I simply don't feel like the tank gets dumped as efficiently with the macerator.
I totally get that, I'm a little OCD about it as well. I do (2) 15 gallon flushes after I empty it and get clear water every time. Sounds like it would be more trouble using the macerator in my normal dump routine. This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
That was probably me that posted that. I disliked having it that I removed it, just like many on this forum has. I have a sewer dump at home and always thoroughly flush as I am never in a hurry and do it while unpacking and cleaning up. No matter how much the unit was flushed, it stunk. I first tried adding a ball valve between the box and hose and still had odor so I finally removed the hose and capped the box off and still had odor......that’s when I totally removed it as I never did have a reason to use it. Now there are many types and models of macerators and maybe a certain model has issues or it my be the way Jayco plumbed it, but many that I have read that had issues are other Seneca units like mine. I also never liked the idea of pressurized sewage.
Thanks! Of course my little SLX8 TT did not come with one so I was thinking of buying the portable one that connects to the sewer outlet. A couple of years ago on my maiden voyage, the ClassA next to me had one and they swore by it, but it just always seemed a little iffy to me. I haven't had to dump at home yet so I haven't necessarily needed one, just thought it might be good for those uphill runs at some parks. I may just make a tray system with a gutter or pipe to deal with that and leave the macerator until a time I may find I need to use my cleanout at home. I dumped my popup cassette at home all the time, but that was easy.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks! Of course my little SLX8 TT did not come with one so I was thinking of buying the portable one that connects to the sewer outlet. A couple of years ago on my maiden voyage, the ClassA next to me had one and they swore by it, but it just always seemed a little iffy to me. I haven't had to dump at home yet so I haven't necessarily needed one, just thought it might be good for those uphill runs at some parks. I may just make a tray system with a gutter or pipe to deal with that and leave the macerator until a time I may find I need to use my cleanout at home. I dumped my popup cassette at home all the time, but that was easy.
A portable unit is a lot different than a plumbed in unit. On the unit I removed, all the plumbing, black and gray dumped into a box about 12” x16” that the pump was in. From that point you could gravity dump with a standard 3” hose or pump it out macerator hose and it ended up being the main box that smelled and could never get cleaned out. If I did have a need to pump to dump I would much rather have a unit that just attached to the 3” bayonet fitting than a built in one.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

I’ve used the same Sewer Solution for 9+ years in 2 trailers. While not a “motorized” macerator it functions like one, instead of a mechanical macerator it uses a water jet.
It has never smelled. With limited storage in our hybrid I carried it in a plastic tote that sat uncovered in the shower pan. In the 5th It sits in the basement in a tote that I’ve cut vent holes in so it can dry out while in storage or traveling. I carry 30’ of drain line in 3 10’ sections, most CG’s I get by with one section, occasionally I need 2 sections. I bought the 3rd section so I could reach the dump while parked in my slot at the storage lot. And like the traditional macerator it can pump uphill (probably not as high as a macerator but it’s not been an issue).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #13

I do not have one, but I have thought about getting one for boondocking. Some places I go, they will allow you to dump your tanks into the pit latrines.

Garden hose, when done rolled up, connect the ends together so nothing slimly can slip out. Keeps any odor contained.

Only really failure issue I have ever heard, is when someone dumps a non woven wipe down the toilet and the macerators jams when it cannot tear it apart. So make sure no one dumps anything down the toilet that should not be in it.

The only other issues I have heard, people comment that sometimes they will have a few gallons of fluid trapped in pipes, as the macerator location is higher than the traditional dump location.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
What could possibly go wrong with using your drinking water hose with the macerator? Hey, one less hose to lug around.
Where do you see me saying I use my drinking water hose?? I specifically stated that I use the hose strictly for the macerator???
Old 03-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #15

I use the Flojet with a 25ft 5/8" hose. I just screw the hose ends together between use. No issue with smell. Everything is stored in a tote together.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Looking for opinions on macerators from those that have them. My main 2 concerns are:

I ordered the Sanicon from the factory and have used approximately 15 times and love it. The only problem I have had is that the hose rubs on the access door, which has caused it to drip. My dealer was able to get a new one under warranty, I now have cut a piece of clear 1-1/2” tubing to fit 3 sides of the opening and have not had any problems. Jayco also has the traditional sewer dump so if the unit does have a problem you can use that as it has the outlet before the Sanicon.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Love my Sanicon Macerator. No smelly hose and no clogs. Works like a charm and it's super easy and quick to dump. No mess for 3 years! Happy RVing,Jeff
What he said^^^^
Wouldn't leave home without it.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #18

My SaniCon has worked great but recently nothing happens when you hit the switch. Was told to check a relay under the bed, which I haven’t found, as there’s no fuse for the 20 amp draw. If current coming in and out to check switch and finally pump connection. There was no sound when it stopped working so don’t think it’s a jam. Called 3 separate authorized SaniCon dealers and the Ft. Myers location told me I had to drop off the MH and they would get to it when they could but no estimate of when. The one in Wellington is strictly a mobile service and won’t drive to me as am too far and can’t take to him as no bricks and motor. The one in Stuart, closest to where I live doesn’t return calls. A local shop in Jensen Beach literally told me they’re too busy and keep calling back. Thankfully it will gravity drain through the SaniCon hose, while quite slowly or the traditional dump alternative. Not a happy camper right now.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #19

Quote:

Changing Lanes has a video on the one they use.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
I totally get that, I'm a little OCD about it as well. I do (2) 15 gallon flushes after I empty it and get clear water every time. Sounds like it would be more trouble using the macerator in my normal dump routine. This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
Our Jayco fifth wheel came with the Sanicon system already on it when we bought it new. I was used to the “old fashioned” way of dumping, but have used the Sanicon for over a year and it’s ok. However, if and when our tanks get too full, I have to go out and pull the hose out and turn it on to dump—even when we are at a full hook up site. I don’t like leaving the compartment open and the Sanicon hose out all the time. No smell and no issues though. But...I’ve just started using our normal sewer hose again, and yes, it may take a bit longer, but I just find it easier—that’s just me. May use the Sanicon again, but not sure at this point.