Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Made To Flagstaff, AZ - Really Windy Last 100 miles

Well,
We made it to Flagstaff today. Had to stop short of Sedona, just too windy.
We started out at day break and had good weather until about Holbrook, AZ.
That last 100 miles was gusting at least 35mph. Wasn't sure my nerves was going to last, but we made it.

I think I am going to start traveling at night if I continue to see winds 25+ during the day.
The nights always seem calm.

The KOA here at Flagstaff is very nice. Sets at base of the mountains. Trees!

We finished up in Albequerque a day early trying to stay on schedule.
We drove the scenic Byway up to Santa Fe. Very cute town and central Plaza area. Too dark to take pictures once there, but I'll post something on the way.

Onto Sedona Redrocks.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Santa Fe is awesome....you'll have some great memories. Hope the weather calms down for you
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Its windy here on the East coast too! And cold again! Endless Winter.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,

Towed through Flagstaff a couple of times, reminds me a little of Michigan without the wind .

I was fortunate today, I had 20mph-30mph winds coming out of the south pushing me out of Texas all the way through Oaklahoma..., best mpg towing I've had in two months! Just set up camp a little northeast of Tulsa, plan to sit out the storms for a couple of days.

About all one can do when the winds are aggressive is slow down and take a few more breaks along the way..., all part of the great adventure

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #5

Trips are never long enough to see all the things you are passing... The desert looking run between Albuquerque and Flag is gorgeous... All the small towns you went thru have lots of history. You probably saw the signs to the Painted Desert and the Meteor Crater. We may get to see another new meteor crater in our lifetime the way things are going haha... You probably didnt see the sign to YAHTOHEY NM haha... This is the only Indian words John Wayne knew in his movies haha...

Now you are going to run down to Red Rock country and miss all the great Indian Ruins and trails NE of Flag including whats left over from a hugh Volcano site with black ash still visible over many miles around... The only down side to visiting the Flag area I can remember is the main East/West railroad rolls thru there and there is a train about five to seven minutes all night long haha... Since I was working for the Navy back in those days I got the grand tour of the Lowell Observatory. Lowell is funded by CNO. Brings back memories of even commercial flights out of Phoenix to Flag with the smaller airplanes. You would leave Phoenix and immediately start hitting mountains heading north and you notice how hard the airplane is having just clearing some of the high peaks. Then you see this hugh mountain coming up and you are flying straight at it. Finally it gets the best of you and you tap the pilot on his shoulder and have to ask - "Uhh - what about this big hill we are approaching" He smiles and says "Don't worry - We are going to land right in front of it" haha...

Don't know if you have ever seen the Red Rocks or Sedona before but all of that takes my breath away everytime we got up there. Really a sight to see...

Like someone said earlier - we all see a new F150 truck in your near future haha... You won't have to worry so much then about the winds...

Enjoy your trip..

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote