Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Maiden voyage

Just finished getting the trailer ready for our maiden voyage tomorrow. After spending more money than i care to think about getting all the things you need for the first trip, especially the sticker shock from the surge suppressor. I think we are ready. Walmart should be called the $300 store.

I was going to take pictures, but our large oak tree was blocking half the view. I think i have said this before, but all the advice in this forum was great in getting me ready for our first trip, and i am sure i am not done yet, and we will forget something .

I do have one question though, when bringing the trailer home from storage, i had trouble with the electric brakes. For some reason the controller didn't see the trailer, even after i triple checked the connections, but since it was only a mile away, i thought i would look at it when i got home. But when i hooked back up at home, everything seemed to be fine. Is this something i need to be concerned about? i could find no reason for the problem once i inspected everything, but I would hate to have a problem when i need them the most.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

Reese Pro Series WDH w/ sway control 1000#
Mikey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

The most common cause is corrosion build up in the connector. Be sure to keep these clean and protected with WD-40. A little attention to these small details can go a long way in reducing aggravation.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

I never had mine not see trailer. Although last week mine displayed the trailer attached when it was not. After about a minute it displayed correctly. I also check the brakes manually before I take off. If it happens again I would reconnect the plug before I take off.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

Enjoy and I look forward to some pictures and details when you get back.

We are taking our first trip next week. I don't know if my wife is more excite about the trip or going shopping to prepare for the trip .

I purchased the TRC Surge Guard. I could have saved some money buying another popular brand but I like having the digital display that provides voltage and current information as well as indicating warnings in text rather than codes.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. We just purchased the trailer 3 weeks ago, and the connector did not appear to have any corrosion yet. In either case, i put some dielectric on the connector to help prevent future corrosion.

In our case I was the one the DW had to reign in on the spending, so many ideas... And, after much research I picked up the Trc surge guard for the exact same reasons, plus it also provides the polarity protection, and after searching several websites I was able get mine for a shade over $200. Others mentioned Tweety's on here, but for the large items I found AdventureRv, PPL, and Amazon had of the better prices most of the time, and had to take shipping costs into account as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Mikey72

Regarding the Surge Guard, I ran individual appliance to get an idea of how much current draw each required. When I ran the microwave I got a reverse polarity warning on the display. Not sure why that happened but the microwave functioned properly. I'd be interested to know if you get the same warning when running the microwave alone.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Long winded post here. Just finished our first trip out in the new TT at Inks Lake in Central TX. It went very well, with a few expected and unexpected hiccups. Pics posted below, and few things I learned:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-19_19-45-47_527.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	4713Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-20_19-58-57_4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	4712Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-19_19-45-44_815.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	4714

1. Always inspect not just the pad, but also the area around the pad. We had to move after the first night due to the amount of stickers and burrs right off the pad. There was also that tree next to the entrance that dropped plum-like large berries that were unavoidable, and they got stuck in our shoes and all over the floor of the TT. Our second site was outstanding, well shaded and near the water.

2. Nothing like adding a 29' trailer to your truck to force you to relax, and take things slow

3. The 13,500 AC works as advertised, but as mentioned in other posts, if it has to catch up during the day, it will be after midnight before it finally cycles off. We even had to get up at 3am on Sunday to turn it down, as everyone was getting frozen. Next on list is a better thermostat, it took the DW one weekend to realize how that was needed.

4. The gray water tank can fill up quickly. Thankfully, I picked up a 32 gallon tote, and avoided having to move the trailer. I am having trouble convincing the DW that when showering she can turn off the shower head to prevent me having to drain the tank each day. She must like to give me the extra work.

5. I bought 3 plastic tubs with locking lids from Walmart (i Think 36"x24"x8") to store items. One for the Fresh Water connections and filter, the other for all the electrical items (ie TRC surge suppressor, dog-bones, coax cable, etc) and the third to hold all the dirty items (Grease, towels and the sewer connectors that do not fit in the bumper). This made life simple when looking for specific items, and they store perfectly in the FW or rear storage compartments, and allowed me to balance the load better.

5. When leaving the campsite, organize everything in prep for unloading when arriving at home, while you still have shore power and the AC works. Made unloading the TT at home so much quicker once we got home at 3pm.

6. And most importantly, I have been home less than 24 hrs, and already looking for the next available weekend and location to go out and do this again. I can't believe we waited this long to finally purchase a TT.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

2Edge, I did not have the chance to check this out, but i will try to remember the next time we are out.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Mikey72

Glad that overall the trip went well. I ditto you on how fast the grey tank gets full (ours is only 24 gallons). With the four of us (DW and two grandkids) I had to empty every day but we were at a full service site so I didn't have to move the TT.

And yes, like you, one of the first things we talked about after getting settled back at home was "so where is the next trip."

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

I can relate! We camped in provincial parks a couple of times and had 37 gallons grey and black tank. I used the park showers day 3 to save us from having to hook up and go dump. Now with the jayco, we have a 60+ gallon grey water but I learned to conserve.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #11

Camping is, well . . . . addictive in a great sort of way, isn't it ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #12

Yes, it is extremely addictive. Since our maiden trip was my son's first camping trip, and both kids said the first trip was kinda fun because we lost some time having to move campsites, i want to ensure the second trip hooks them as much as has me.