Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Make sure you know what you're buying?

My 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhbe that I purchased brand new, has been nothing but a headache with constant issues. There is not a week or month that goes by that I don't have to fix something that breaks. With this piece of garbage I bought. I wish they had a list like this before I purchased it so I wouldn't have made the mistake I did.
(What travel trailers brands to avoid in 2020
Forest River travel trailer brand: 45%
Keystone travel trailer brand: 26%
Jayco travel trailer brand: 15%
Coachmen travel trailer brand: 5%
Winnebago travel trailer brand: 3%
Fleetwood travel trailer brand: 2%
Gulf Stream travel trailer brand: 1%
Aug 29, 2020
outdoorfact.com › travel-trailer-...
8 Worst Travel Trailer Brands to Avoid at All Costs | Outdoor Fact
SuperdutyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

Now I understand why Thor bought out Jayco? maybe now they'll be built the proper way?
SuperdutyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

I have to say, I have not had issues with my 2016 28BHBE I purchased in October of 2015.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperdutyFord View Post
Now I understand why Thor bought out Jayco? maybe now they'll be built the proper way?
Thor is the parent company of some on that list in the first post. In fact Thor and Forest River manufacture over 80% of the towable RVs, under many different brand names.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:

It’s actually been the opposite... many say quality has dropped since the Thor acquisition in July 2016.
Many feel pre Thor units are better built. I’ve had minimal problems with our 2016 38FDDS.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
CAG

Thor bought out Heartland while I still owned one and there were many more complaints on the owner’s web site from new owners. Lots of quality complaints.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It's all about doing research! But in the end all RV manufactures have the same issues.
It are boxes bouncing on the road, they save on weight as much as possible.
Salesman are there to sell (with or without the truth). If you're not a DIYer expect to spend money at RV dealers and excessive wait times. As long people buy RV's at the present rate this RV Industry does not change. New RV's always have issues, even dealers have to fix many of them before they leave their lot. So it is anyone's responsibility to know what they are getting into.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
It's all about doing research! But in the end all RV manufactures have the same issues.
And they all use the same components.. Lippert, Dometic, Suburban, Coleman,
etc, that along with the fact the dealers sell multiple brands and cannot treat one customer better than another.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Team

What I have noticed is that RV forums in general where mass produced units are represented there are horror stories as well as songs of praise by owners. Brand is less important then the attitude and quality of the crew that build YOUR particular unit on any given day. As Grumpy said components are the same and construction methods are similar at these price points. I can't say what the $2 million rigs have in them or how happy their owners are, don't hang in those circles.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
What I have noticed is that RV forums in general where mass produced units are represented there are horror stories and songs of praise by owners. Brand is less important then the attitude and quality of the crew that build YOUR particular unit on any given day. As Grumpy said components are the same and construction methods are similar at these price points. I can't say what the $2 million rigs have in them or how happy their owners are, don't hang in those circles.
This past summer we were talking with a couple that had a "Mobile Suites" and the said that they paid over 200k and have had nothing but problems. Their biggest complaint was that there weren't many dealers that would work on a rig like theirs. I agree that they all use the same parts for slides, AC's, Fridges ect and every maker has issues. We also live in a world where few compliment and many complain.

Our 2016 is still the best that we have ever purchased.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Team

We were at a campground two years ago, and a couple three sites away had a 2M dollar Prevost. They started out travelling with a tour group, and had engine trouble in New Jersey, and the day they were leaving, a slide wouldn't go in. Problems happen with every level of build.

Us? Eight years and very happy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #12

I have had my fiver now for going on two years and I can truly say that it has been a good fiver, besides the small issue that we have had I would say it has been pretty good.

Now our fiver is at the dealer now to get a few warranty work done and to get the front cap repainted but we are happy.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
My 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhbe that I purchased brand new, has been nothing but a headache with constant issues. There is not a week or month that goes by that I don't have to fix something that breaks. With this piece of garbage I bought. I wish they had a list like this before I purchased it so I wouldn't have made the mistake I did.
(What travel trailers brands to avoid in 2020
Aug 29, 2020

So far so good for us, 2018 Jayco 30.5 MBOK.
ZooSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
...(What travel trailers brands to avoid in 2020
Aug 29, 2020
Not positive, but I would bet if you ranked the same group by sticker price, the list would be the same order, just reversed.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
...There is not a week or month that goes by that I don't have to fix something that breaks...
Can you list what issues you've had? Some of the complaints I see here are specific to third-party stuff like the air conditioner or refrigerator. You can't really blame the RV manufacturer for a problem with stuff that basically goes in all brand campers.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #16

I don't want to minimize the OP's customer experience he has had since I don't know the details. When we purchased our Pinnacle 16 months ago we started with a know issue that Jayco said they would take care of and which has almost fully been resolved. There have been a couple of big issues come up since purchase that Jayco is or has taken care of. (bedroom A/C went bad and was fixed and refrigerator quit working and is scheduled to be replaced in the spring) along with some other minor issues.

NOTE: Full disclouser prior to delivery we found the finish on most all of the cabinet drawers and door fronts and the end of the island was beginning to blush or turn milky. Most have been replaced with new and the remainder is scheduled for replacement this spring. The bottom line is it has been an inconvenience but they have been standing behind and resolving the quality issues we have experienced.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #17

I have a 2018 314 BHDS TT that I purchased in September of 2018. Except for the front cap fading, which luckily happened within the first year and was covered under warranty and taken care of promptly by Jayco and my Dealer, I have not had major issues. Now I have had small things that I have taken care of myself. After having a couple of RV's, I have come to the conclusion that if you are handy around the house and can fix minor things, it saves the aggravation of taking it back to the dealer for every little thing and them having it for weeks at a time. I know some will argue that if its a warranty item, then THEY are going to fix it, but I'm just at the point where if I can fix it for a couple of dollars in an hour or so why go through the trouble. Anyway, I've seen people complain about every brand and type of RV so its pretty much a crapshoot when it comes to reliability. What does matter is WHERE you purchase your RV and doing the proper research before you buy.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #18

I could see why quality would be an issue the way the factory throws the trailers together on the YouTube video. If you compare the Keystone build video, they seem to take a little more time.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I could see why quality would be an issue the way the factory throws the trailers together on the YouTube video. If you compare the Keystone build video, they seem to take a little more time.
There is one JAYCO video that has been sped up, so that may be the one you see. I've done the tour numerous times and they are not moving that fast in person.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #20

My previous 5th was a Forest River Sierra. 40', bunk w/outdoor kitchen. We drove 5 hours to ohio on a friday after work and stayed in a hotel near by. All.excited, we up early the next morning and were there before they opened so we could see our new trailer. It was supposed to be all set and ready to go for us. Salesman and I had this all set up nearly a week before too. We waited over an hour before we could go and look at it. As we waited in the parts and service dept we watched a service guy come into the parts dept, graphics a water pump off the shelf, slam it down on the counter, fill out some paperwork and off he went to the service bay area. I'm thinking " I'm glad that pump ain't going in my trailer. Its brand new." Yeah, right. That's exactly where he went with it, right to our trailer in the service bay. Sales was looking for us and called down the road to the parts and service where we were asking if we were there. Apparently we were supposed to meet up with the salesman FIRST, sign papers, THEN drive down to the parts and service facility and do our PDI. I knew better than that. I ain't signing crap until I see my unit FIRST. We did our PDI, didnt go very well either. Too many things needed attention and the brand new countertop had a gouge in it. Not real happy but my stupid a$$ bought it anyway, against dw'a wishes. We got it home with no issues, but no more get it parked in the driveway and the skies turned on the water. We went out to dinner with some friends, came back home and dove into the new trailer, still pouring out. Showing off our new purchase to them, my buddybooens up the front master closet and asks if I paid extra for the waterfall or if it was a standard option. The sealant on the roof where the front cap ties in had a small crack in it on PDI and I told service about it and they "fixed" it. The guy fixed it by using a knife and cutting out the old sealant, and gobbing in some new Dicor all over it. The trip home, all the road wind blew all that fresh sealant out leaving this MONSTER size gaping hole up there and rain water was pouring in the closet like Niagara Falls.
I could write a book on this thing it was such a pos. No exaggeration, it turned into a joke of who could guess what was going to go wrong because EVERY time we used it something went wrong. And I'm not talking little, petty crap either. I mean stuff like wheel studs shearing off and losing a wheel at highway speeds, water tank falling out, fridge door falling off, ceiling fan blade flying off like an Australian boomerang,.... it goes on and on.
The only good thing that came out of it was we had it for a season and a half and got so sick of it breaking we traded it in and got our Northpoint and couldnt be more happy.