Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Many issues: Factory second?

I posted this in the toy hauler forum as well, hoping to reach more people:
We just purchased a new 273 Octane in May, we've had so many issues - water lines weren't hooked up right, speakers weren't connected battery was not connected properly internally, interior wallboards bowing, trim missing, scratches on appliances (that we now noticed, pretty sure they weren't there), and worst of all, the toilet was installed crooked just enough that the lid won't stay up for the guys... can be quite a mess if you are not paying attention!!! The more I think about it the more I feel we got a factory second (if there is such a thing - who would know, goes on between the manufacturer and dealer). We got such a great deal off the lot, it just makes me wonder. If this is how they usually come new - Jayco really needs to kick their quality control people out the door!
I tried to reach out to Jayco, but they keep directing me to my dealer to fix it, but it's clearly not their fault. I would really want to know this if I was Jayco. Did anyone else have these issues, or am I just the 'lucky one'?
alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Every unit JAYCO ships is ordered.

It's not good that it left that way, but your dealer should have never sold it in that condition. They are responsible to make it right. How long did it sit on the lot?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

I agree that the dealer should not have sold it, but the in the end jayco should be held responsible. it should never left the plant.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #4

The OP of this additional thread on the same subject needs to read the Forum Community Rules...especially this one;

Quote:
Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
The OP of this additional thread on the same subject needs to read the Forum Community Rules...especially this one;
Let's cut the OP some slack, he is new....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

You would think Jayco would be responsible, but what I am learning about the RV industry is that it is much the same as the auto industry. They catch what they can catch at production speeds, but ultimately if something (or in your case, several somethings) get past the inspection at the factory, the dealer is responsible to pick up the slack. It sure beats shipping the unit back halfway across the country to be reconciled. In many cases, the discounts offered to the dealers as well as warranty service rates are more than sufficient to cover such costs, and it is less expensive for Jayco to NOT stop production for such time-consuming fixes when they are spitting these things off the line at maximum speed. Ultimately, the dealer should have caught everything missed at Jayco. You received a steep discount probably because the unit had several things that could not be fixed economically. The rest should have been handled and fixed. I'd take it to the dealer.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Sorry for the dup all

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Let's cut the OP some slack, he is new....
I have not read the rules on double posts - my bad! Thank you all for the replies! We are new to the whole camping world so i didn't realize this was acceptable and that the dealer cleans up the oops. When you pay good money for something, just expected better quality I guess. Maybe they should slow down the lines a tad . Despite the issues we are loving this camping thing!!!! Anyone who camps in the MI UP give us a shout! Cheers
alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Just my opinion...

I wouldn't have accepted the unit if that much stuff showed up on the PDI. Actually, I believe that I would have insisted on another unit.

Our PDI took about 3 hours, and was done first thing in the morning, to allow plenty of time to take care of any issues, before we accepted the unit. There were 3 issues, and they were taken care of on the spot.

As Grumpy said, the dealer should have never sold it in that condition. The dealer is, ultimately, the final quality control check!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote