Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2024, 08:09 PM   #1

Marine Vinyl Upholstery Question

We are communicating with an upholstery shop in our area to reupholster the captain's seats, dinette, and sofa. They recommended a marine vinyl. Has anyone used this to reupholster with? If so, how do you like it? Pros/Cons? Comfort? Durability?

Thank you.
Jay Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Matt View Post
We are communicating with an upholstery shop in our area to reupholster the captain's seats, dinette, and sofa. They recommended a marine vinyl. Has anyone used this to reupholster with? If so, how do you like it? Pros/Cons? Comfort? Durability?

Thank you.
I don't know your unit. But that is all that I use when the need arises and I deal with the crappy stock stuff. Of course on seats and sofas ifs a little slick o curved areas and cold feeling in certain weather. But you will not need to recover under normal us for a long time.

I just did one interior using a form of the beige suede from Hobby Lobby and have put it through the paces for about two weeks of camping. Its warm and easy to clean with the smooth but soft surface.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #3

We have a center console bay boat so I can relate to the marine grade vinyl. I would not use it to cover dinette cushions unless there is zero chance someone will be sitting on them with any type of buttons or any type of bling on their jeans that would or could scratch the fabric or if there are or will be pets. This is a good product for exterior use where there is sun, water, etc exposure. Itís not what I would consider a comfortable product to sit on. Just my opinion.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:40 AM   #4

Having a boat and past boats along with some farm equipment, marine vinyl causes Swamp Butt which imo should be avoided one way or another. I would go with something more breathable. I went with Ultra Leather. ~CA
Old 02-29-2024, 10:06 AM   #5

I did mine with marine grade. Having had boats for years, I know how tough the stuff is. Honestly, the vinyl I chose doesn’t feel very different from what my 2019 34G came with. I’m very happy with it. By the way, at least the vinyl manufacturer that I worked with sent me free samples. Order some and compare it to what you have.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote