Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

Mattress Suggestions Please

Hi,

I have a '09 Jayflight 22FB and we are looking to replace the OEM short queen mattress.

I have made a bed extension so that a normal 60x80 regular queen will be what we will replace the existing one with.

We have to be very careful about hitch tongue weight, so we need to keep the weight as close to the OEM short queen weight as possible, and also to keep the function of the raise up storage access.

We ordered a mattress in a box at Walmart, but when it arrived we found that it weighed 58 lbs! That was far heavier than the OEM mattress. It's on its way back to WM.....

I don't know what the weight of the OEM mattress is. Does anyone know? The one in our trailer seems to be of an innerspring variety.

Is an OEM lightweight mattress available in 60x80 queen size?

Can someone recommend a replacement that might be similar in weight to an OEM mattress?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BluegrassPicker
Bluegrass Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

We recently went through the buying of a new mattress for our RV and were unable to find what I wanted online and told the wife I want to lie on it before we purchase. Went to our local furniture store and were surprised when they said most any mattress can be ordered to fit a RV. Found one we both liked and they ordered it and we love it. So much nicer then that flat gel junk that came in our camper.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
We recently went through the buying of a new mattress for our RV and were unable to find what I wanted online and told the wife I want to lie on it before we purchase. Went to our local furniture store and were surprised when they said most any mattress can be ordered to fit a RV. Found one we both liked and they ordered it and we love it. So much nicer then that flat gel junk that came in our camper.
We'd like to get a regular bed mattress from a furniture store, but the weight would be much more than the existing one, so we'll have to get a innerspring RV mattress or something lightweight...
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

58 lbs ...replaced ours with a 11" memory foam. Tops out at about 100lbs . I don't think there's a issue with adding 30 or 40 pounds to be comfortable. There's been plenty of threads on here about mattress upgrades. There's a limitless amount of options for a standard queen.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

Anythings better than that rock called the Simmons ugly rest, but what we did was purchase a 3" queen gel foam topper. It only added 15lbs, and is much more comfortable than the rock. The mattress cover keeps it all together, and even shrinks the foam topper a bit so it doesnt stick out too much on the end.

A 6" foam mattress weighs 30 lbs like this one at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-...mattress+queen

Im sure it weighs less than your current regular short queen mattress.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:32 AM   #6

We got a new 10" memory foam off Amazon. Really is nice.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

MattressInsider.com

We purchased the 5.5" thick one and it is not too heavy. Weighs more than the factory original but it is very comfortable. I sleep better in the TT than I do at home. We tried the thicker one but it was too heavy. They let us donate the 8" to a local charity and sent us a 5.5 and refunded the price difference.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

We have the Mattress Insiders 8" Luxury and love it.

Not inexpensive, but after the 10" we purchased on Amazon and the two toppers prior to that, we could've saved a lot of money just starting with this one.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxu...mory-foam.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

I appreciate the responses and the information. I will be checking into every suggestion.

The problem that I have is that my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tow the trailer with has a maximum 720 lbs tongue weight limit on the hitch, and with the current mattress and loaded with the bare necessary gear inside the trailer I'm at 680 lbs on my tongue weight scale. I would prefer not to add much more weight to push upward to the edge of the 720 lb limit. An extra 30 lbs of mattress weight above my existing mattress would be something that I would like to avoid. We are willing to sacrifice a little bit of the extra comfort that a mattress that is better than OEM would provide to keep the weight down.

If I can determine the weight of the OEM mattress then that would help giving me a starting point to work with, but in my searches I'm unable to determine who manufactured the mattress and what the weight would be.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Picker View Post
I appreciate the responses and the information. I will be checking into every suggestion.

The problem that I have is that my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I tow the trailer with has a maximum 720 lbs tongue weight limit on the hitch, and with the current mattress and loaded with the bare necessary gear inside the trailer I'm at 680 lbs on my tongue weight scale. I would prefer not to add much more weight to push upward to the edge of the 720 lb limit. An extra 30 lbs of mattress weight above my existing mattress would be something that I would like to avoid. We are willing to sacrifice a little bit of the extra comfort that a mattress that is better than OEM would provide to keep the weight down.

If I can determine the weight of the OEM mattress then that would help giving me a starting point to work with, but in my searches I'm unable to determine who manufactured the mattress and what the weight would be.
Shift some weight around and the mattress will not be a issue. The oem innerspring mattress probably weights 40- 50 pounds at best. Good luck !
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #11

We got the Zinus short queen 10inch. A little to heavy for my lifters. Had to replace screws with bolts clear through. A lot harder to lift.

But OH does it sleep better.

Some day I may get higher rated lifter arms. In the meanwhile I have a notched board the I put in place after I push it up to get under the bed.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

I am going to add the My Pillow Topper this spring. I only have about 50 nights on the original factory mattress and it is not "dented" yet but my wife wants something firmer and we have liked My Pillow products in the past. This will be a trial this spring to see if we like it, if not back it goes. It is listed as firm on the charts, is reasonably priced and won't add a lot of weight. Worth the try I think.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
PMC

late to the mattress party but we have a local mattress shop we've used for our beds at home. They had a number of bed options without innersprings that they would make in a short queen size without any up-charge. We had a custom foam mattress for under 500 out the door that didn't weigh much more than the stock mattress but was significantly more comfortable. Whoever bought our trailer after we traded it in is probably thinking 'why does everyone hate their RV mattress, this thing is awesome!'
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #14

We are thoroughly enjoying our Tulo memory foam mattress. We didn't have to reshape it, but most foam mattresses can be carved to any desired shape with a kitchen electric carving knife. Something to consider.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #15

Research the Sleep Number. Then you and the DW can be happy.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Research the Sleep Number.
We did and were not happy with the firmest setting it offered. Were most unhappy with the outrageous Pricing Number that comes along with it. Also note that you will require power to keep it inflated, and if it leaks for whatever reason, you're out of luck.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
We did and were not happy with the firmest setting it offered. Were most unhappy with the outrageous Pricing Number that comes along with it. Also note that you will require power to keep it inflated, and if it leaks for whatever reason, you're out of luck.
^ ^ ^ ^ X2
We have had the sleep number in our house for a few years (note the past tense - it is thankfully gone) and Rick is 100% correct. When you shut down the power for an extended time(even overnight boondocking at a walmart parking lot), it loses about every feature they advertise about it.

Another thing to consider, if it is on a platform that is not well insulated from the underside (some bed platforms that have outside access doors) it will be a very cold bed to sleep on in winter.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
late to the mattress party but we have a local mattress shop we've used for our beds at home. They had a number of bed options without innersprings that they would make in a short queen size without any up-charge. We had a custom foam mattress for under 500 out the door that didn't weigh much more than the stock mattress but was significantly more comfortable. Whoever bought our trailer after we traded it in is probably thinking 'why does everyone hate their RV mattress, this thing is awesome!'
We took a similar approach, Since we spend at least 5-months on the road - we wanted something we already knew we liked.

We took our 3 year old Tempurpedic King from the house to a local upholstery shop who trimmed it to our RV-King with rounded foot and put it in our Motorhome. It's like sleeping at home every night, when we are away.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #19

Dynasty mattress

"Best rv mattress." By Dynasty. reasonable pricing. soft, med firm and firm. sold now exclusively by amazon. our 60 by 80 was $398.00. added weight is not an issue.
smoakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoakin View Post
"Best rv mattress." By Dynasty. reasonable pricing. soft, med firm and firm. sold now exclusively by amazon. our 60 by 80 was $398.00. added weight is not an issue.
X2 . We had one of these in our last trailer. Fantastic for the money !